Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 328
Thumb Thanks for posting this...

KY Ride Report.

I live on the border of KY/TN in Clarksville, TN. I'm going to check out riding some of the same roads you wrote about. Love your DR650...I owned a 1999 DR650. Very capable for adventure riding!
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 203
The DR will not have a problem with the heat. Ever.

Ryan
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #18
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
The area between Dunnville and Knifley is where things started getting good. Most of these photos were taken in the Neatsville area at the first Green River ford of the day. This one is a little wider, a little deeper, and can get kinda slick at times. Being solo, I just rode up and down the river's edge and through some of the trails in the area and passed on a full blown crossing:

This is the view of the Green River looking west off the Hwy 76 Bridge at Neatsville. It's a little to deep to ride across at this point.

Miles of gravel. Roads like these helped me get a feel for the DR's capabilities, and it seemed perfectly content to run these at 40-50 mph. For the most part though, I kept my speeds much lower because of the wildlife. I saw a number of deer and an absurd number of wild turkeys jump across the road ahead of me. One hen turkey had thirteen poults trailing behind her, running about and tripping over one another. I had no interest in an impromptu harvesting of game, so I generally kept my speeds at a reasonable level.

This little hole of water was about 12-18" deep and I crossed it several times. Lots of fun without much danger of going down.

ghostdncr screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 04:30 AM
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #19
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoot View Post
KY Ride Report.

I live on the border of KY/TN in Clarksville, TN. I'm going to check out riding some of the same roads you wrote about. Love your DR650...I owned a 1999 DR650. Very capable for adventure riding!
It's a great area to ride. We should probably plan some kind of camping weekend and really pick this place apart. The Corps of Engineers have closed off lots of prime riding areas.

The DR will not have a problem with the heat. Ever.

I was really impressed with its performance under pressure. I got it really hot down in some tight, muddy woods riding, but all I noticed was the power starting to slack off as the heat built up. I stopped and walked around in the woods for a few and let it cool down and it was ready for another round.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

This section was just plain sweet! The ATV's have torn it up pretty bad, so negotiating their ruts proved to be the biggest challenge. The DR handled it well and left me looking like a pro, in spite of my limited riding abilities. The lily pads in this marsh were in full bloom and while they had almost nothing to do with this ride, I felt they were worth including:

This is the second ford across the Green River. We haven't had much rain and the flow is mighty weak. Unlike the earlier ford, I crossed this one several times at different points, going deeper each time. I was never concerned about the airbox going under, but did get about midway up the crankcase a time or two. The views are from both sides of the river:

Watch out for the low-hanging vines! This is also one of the sections where a deer bolted from left to right about 30 feet in front of me. Fortunately, I was easing along in second gear when she appeared.

Damn beavers!

The woods are closing in, now. Lots of ducking and twisting, stopping and starting:

ghostdncr screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 02:16 PM
Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Sweet! I hope you have some tracks you'll share. I'm getting my little excursion together and will post it in the other thread. I think a camping trip would be a great idea by the way. I'll be gone the July 11-15 but other than that I'm game.

John
Old 06-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 527
Nice report for what looked like a great ride! I'm down in southeastern indiana now (seymour) and would be down for a camping trip anytime!

-Malhon
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #23
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

There's a great primitive campground just a little north of Knifley, KY (enter "FD-1005 Elkhorn, KY" at Google Maps) that might be a great spot for an ADV campout. Pit toilets are about the extent of development, though.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Nice report for what looked like a great ride! I'm down in southeastern indiana now (seymour) and would be down for a camping trip anytime!

-Malhon
Hey Malhon good to see you over on this side of the river! Check out the Louisville area rides thread. I just posted more pics over there of this area. It would be a fun place to explore.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
There's a great primitive campground just a little north of Knifley, KY (enter "FD-1005 Elkhorn, KY" at Google Maps) that might be a great spot for an ADV campout. Pit toilets are about the extent of development, though.
I'm kind primitive myself! Long as I can wash off in the lake I'm good with it.

John
Old 06-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Deep in the woods:

The blackberries are ripening, too. I was forced to test some along the way and am happy to report they taste absolutely NOTHING like the canned varieties! I was always taught to wear stout boots when picking blackberries, as copperheads tend to hang out beneath the vines and wait for prey. I've never seen one in a blackberry thicket, but was bitten by one beneath a cherry tree years ago. It was deep in the woods at an abandoned homesite and the area was quite overgrown. Fortunately, the bite was mostly dry. I'm okay with being lucky.

End of this road. Looks like a good place to fish and drink!

ghostdncr screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 04:32 PM
Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
jbeem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Sweet! ----- I think a camping trip would be a great idea by the way. I'll be gone the July 11-15 but other than that I'm game.

John
Now we're talkin'. I'm usually a little southeast of here but this area is practically in my backyard.
03 KLX 400
08 Versys
jbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #27
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Some more views of Green River Lake:

Sitting on the remains of old Highway 55 (I think) that was abandoned after the Corps of Engineers dammed and flooded this impoundment back in the late 60's. There'll be another pic posted later that shows this narrow, crumbling strip of road from the other side of the lake.

Some folks "hand fishing" that I should've gotten some better pictures of. They were chest deep in the lake, taking turns holding the video camera while reaching up under submerged rocks in hopes of feeling a catfish. I stopped to chat with them and they had one nice channel catfish about 18" long. Naturally, one of them had hold of a cat the size of a minivan, but it overpowered him and got away.

Ya gotta keep an eye out for these:

Some shale flats I enjoy riding near "downtown" Knifley. There's quite a few riding opportunities along the river here, but I can't remember the name of it. Russell Creek, maybe? It's a great fishing creek that offers plenty of solitude and scenic beauty. Not bad for swimming either, as long as you can overlook the water snakes and snapping turtles.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Some more of the local flora, both found on the shale flats mentioned in the previous post:

See the snapping turtle? They dive as soon as they see you moving, but it's difficult to swim in these waters and not think of their feeding habits.

I like bridges, so they show up quite a bit in my ride reports. I like the way their span can be used to divide a photo into sections, or to draw attention, or merely to add order to nature's subtle chaos.

Trouty rocks. Does this look like a trout stream or what? Unfortunately, this water is so warm that only species like carp, catfish, and bream (and snapping turtles) can tolerate it. I think it contains pretty significant levels of tannic acid from all the hardwood leaves, too. As slow as the water moves around here, it probably never gets completely flushed out.

This is one of those sections that's MUCH steeper than it looks in the photo. I rode it a number of times to get a better feel for the DR's climbing abilities and was completely satisfied with the results.

This is the old Highway 55 spur my bike was shown parked near the end of in an earlier photo. Without swimming, there was no way I could get a photo of the bike from this side of the old river channel.

Get to work you lazy cows!

Fine sights along Wade Hollow Road:

Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #29
tiger seven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Great stuff! I haven't been down around Green River Lake in years. Sounds like you had a great ride. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Derek
tiger seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

This section of water is part of Wilson Creek. I used to fly fish for bluegill here and this hole always held some surprisingly large fish. There are several unlikely looking spots like this along these little waterways that hold nice fish, and the fly rod seems the best tool to catch them, as they tend to be extremely wary. I guess living in a small, clear pool surrounded by predators will do that to ya!

These were taken at Robinson Creek in the Elkhorn area. I can vaguely remember traveling these roads by car just before they flooded the place. It was quite an event in our little town when the dams were built and everyone living in the flood plain had to move out. I remember "hooligans" riding their motorcycles in this area, climbing the hillsides of the new roadways that were built high above the lake's intended level. I remember my "challenged" cousin riding up these massive embankments on his CB750-4 Honda, and actually making it to the top from time to time! Wild times.

Remains of the old bridge abutment on what used to be Highway 55.

The DR sputtered and had to be switched to reserve about 1/4 mile from the Marathon station on the east side of Campbellsville. While nowhere near the 250 mile range most claim for the 5.3 gallon Acerbis, I'm a big ol' boy and we covered a bunch of miles off-road this day, so I'm satisfied.

Next up, tooling around Campbellsville, and remember those suspicious clouds I was concerned about earlier in the day?