Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #31
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Those skies aren't looking so good. Since the forecast was for sunny and hot conditions, I left all my rain gear at home. Maybe I can just skirt the cells and avoid getting soaked.

These two old concrete silos have been abandoned and in this same basic conditions for as long as I can remember, and that would be 40+ years. I wish there was some way to find out when they were built, but no one seems to know anything about them, aside from them always being there and never being used. Pre-Columbian, maybe?

Some water crossings northwest of Campbellsville, heading toward Elizabethtown, KY.

Everyone's getting their wheat in!

Reminds me of Kansas, but without the faraway horizons. Kansas makes lots of people sad because of its monotony and flatness. Always loved it, myself. I've camped beside wheat fields and listened to the wind rustling the innumerable plants as the sun sinks low. Hard to do that and ever look at the world through the same eyes again, you know?

This is the last hurried photo I took before stowing my camera (and everything else that would fit!) into a dry bag.

About a mile down the road from the last pic, I was struck by the first raindrops that were, I kid you not, about the size of my thumb. Lightning was fairly active off to the right of me, and there was nowhere to find cover. Within another 1/8 mile, I was in near white-out conditions from the downpour and about all I could do was be thankful for the dry bag and hope for the best. I got the DR down into 3rd gear and pressed on. Many cars were stopped on the roadside, but I had good traction and could see surprisingly well after passing through the initial downpour. The rain lasted about 10-12 miles and then stopped almost as suddenly as it had started.

I rode almost the entire length of the Lincoln Parkway (Highway 61) from Hodgenville to Elizabethtown off-road. It has really broad right-of-ways, and I just held over next to the woven wire fencing that separates the right-of-way from private land and enjoyed the rolling grassland. I've never heard anything about riding over there being illegal, but it's probably something that doesn't come up a lot.

I stopped in Elizabethtown pour all the water out of my boots and wring out my protective gear. It would've been no worse if I'd stood neck-deep in a pond for twenty minutes. I was getting pretty tired and hungry at this point, so the photography portion of the journey was kinda falling apart. After a short break to dry out and get a snack, I headed toward Fort Knox...
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #32
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

This is a section of gravel road near Fort Knox that runs along the highway's right-of-way. It doesn't appear to serve any purpose whatsoever aside from being a convenient dumping ground for illegally harvested deer carcasses. See that little black dot in the right track? That's one of about three dozen buzzards (turkey vultures) feeding on the remains of four deer that had been partially dressed and then dumped there.

The grave of Louisville celebrity and world renowned artist Charles "Tattoo Charlie" Wheeler. There's no telling how many Louisvillians are carrying ink that came from one of his several local studios.

Early section of cemetery. I saw numerous birth dates from the 1700's but all the death dates were in the mid-1800's. This particular cemetery has several sections like this and I haven't walked them all, so there may be earlier graves here.

Horse farm somewhere northwest of Fort Knox:

Ohio River barge traffic:

Bridge over the Ohio at Brandenburg, KY. Although titled "Kentucky backroads" we're taking a momentary trek into southern Indiana:

Yes, I even rode this little strip of gravel and had a blast!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #33
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Isn't there supposed to be a bike rally here?

Random Indiana:

Creepy...

New Albany decay:

End result:

Old 06-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #34
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

This weekend's festivities were a lot less photo-worthy than last, but I still managed to get in some riding and bring back a few photos worth sharing. Well, at least in my opinion.

Friday night was just a mess. I met up with a bunch I used to work with for some kind of "beer fest" put on by the local independent brewers down at Slugger Field here in Louisville. Crappy cell phone pics prove it happened.

A small portion of the gang with Kyle (SV650 rider on the left) telling some kind of drinking tale:

This is where you get your beer. We called this a mosh pit back when I was a kid:

A good time was had by all and everyone made it home safely through a combination of DDs and taxi services. Sounds like we're all going kayaking again next weekend!

After running some errands Saturday morning, I decided to ride down to Nashville. No particular reason aside from wanting to ride somewhere and Nashville doesn't require a lot of mental capability to find when coming from Louisville. Total directions: Turn left onto I-65S. You can't miss it. Taking on fuel at Nervous Charlie's Fuel and Fireworks emporium somewhere around White House, Tennessee, about 20-30 miles north of Nashville. That gorilla was PISSED!!!

As it's the "KENTUCKY backroads" thread, that's all the Tennessee I'm posting. This is the old courthouse on the square in Columbia, Kentucky, closer to the middle of the state. I think the clock on the left is the correct one:

One of the drawbacks to rollin' solo is that it's damn difficult to get a photo of yourself. This is as close as I've gotten in quite awhile:

And the final tally except I zeroed the GPS at the first gas stop, which was about twelve miles from home. You do the math:

I got out on the DR650 this afternoon and messed around town. Finally got the camera out when I stopped at Senor Iguana's for an early dinner. Was delighted to find out about the $2 margarita special to accompany my shrimp nachos:

These people were having so much fun that I almost asked if I could join them:

The English sparrows would come very close looking for handouts, but were still skittish. Two actually lit on my table, but as soon as I moved to take the pic, they were outta there!

My work is done, here:

Common folk shy from parking next to the DR. It's a safe bet that something bad will happen:

Parked in the shade along Beargrass Creek. Nice twisties here, but you've gotta keep your speed reasonable. The place is littered with joggers, bicyclists, soccer moms, and the like:

I headed home on River Road, which runs alongside the Ohio. This is the Big 4 bridge project, which is an old railway bridge that will eventually become a pedestrian bridge linking Louisville and Jeffersonville, Indiana:

I have no idea why this facade is sitting in the middle of the street:

Looking upriver from the Louisville Boat Club entrance:

I'll have me one about this size if I can ever stop buying motorcycles:

Old 06-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #35
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 459
I just moved to Louisville a few weeks ago. Right now my job has me working day and night, but hopefully I can begin exploring the area before too long. Thanks for whetting my appetite.

Shep
Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #36
tiger seven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
I have no idea why this facade is sitting in the middle of the street:

I used to live about a mile from this and rode past it almost every day, and no one I talked to ever seemed to know what it was or why it was there!

Derek
tiger seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #37
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
I used to live about a mile from this and rode past it almost every day, and no one I talked to ever seemed to know what it was or why it was there!

Derek
That's what remains of the old Heigold house. The facade used to be just across River Rd. from where it stands now.

http://unusualkentucky.blogspot.com/...ld-facade.html

John - you were about in my back yard when you took that pic in Cherokee Park. You're right about the bicycle traffic!
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #38
tiger seven
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
That's what remains of the old Heigold house. The facade used to be just across River Rd. from where it stands now.

http://unusualkentucky.blogspot.com/...ld-facade.html

John - you were about in my back yard when you took that pic in Cherokee Park. You're right about the bicycle traffic!
Thanks for the info!

I live by Cherokee Park now and I'll agree with both of you on the traffic. It's great fun in the morning before the park gets crowded, and while I respect the cyclists and runners (I'm in the park cycling or running a lot myself) the soccer moms going 5 mph and riding the brakes are a real menace.

Derek
Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #39
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
the soccer moms going 5 mph and riding the brakes are a real menace.

Derek
Once they get out of the park onto Eastern Parkway or Bardstown road look out. It's balls to the wall get outa my way!

John
Old 07-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

It's still 102 degrees here at 6:30pm but I managed to get some mods done, anyway. Lots of sweat equity involved in any task, today. I mounted the Shinko 244s front and back (mileage: 13800), hardwired a handlebar mount for my Zumo 550 and XM radio puck, and mounted the Pelican top box. Probably ordering the SW Motech pannier racks within the next week or two to get the side boxes mounted.

God, I love this bike!!!

Doesn't look like these temperatures are gonna let up anytime soon and I'm not riding without the gear, so periodic mods and commuting is about it for me. Anyone finding innovative ways to deal with the heat?

ghostdncr screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 02:30 PM
Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #41
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Great ride report! I grew up in rural TN, and this brought back lots of memories. Thanks for sharing.
dljocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
I'm not sure if you work for a travel magazine, but you've definitely got the knack. That looked like a hell of a gorgeous ride.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #43
tiger seven
Adventurer

This heat has been brutal. I went for a ride a few nights ago, and it was still 95 degrees at around midnight. Ugh! Like you, I won't ride without gear, so I haven't been out since then.

I like your DR. I have a Pelican box mounted like that on my KLR. What are those tie-down/cleat looking things on top? I wouldn't mind having some on those on mine.

Derek
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #44
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I'm not sure if you work for a travel magazine, but you've definitely got the knack. That looked like a hell of a gorgeous ride.
That kinda made my day. Thanks!

Quote:
What are those tie-down/cleat looking things on top? I wouldn't mind having some on those on mine.
Check out the cabinet hardware at Lowe's for something like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_245465-76633...ull&facetInfo= My primary use for them seems to be snagging my pant leg when getting on or off the bike. Provides great fun for onlookers, serves as good exercise, and allows testing of my protective gear from time to time without involving other vehicles.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #45
tiger seven
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
Check out the cabinet hardware at Lowe's for something like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_245465-76633...ull&facetInfo= My primary use for them seems to be snagging my pant leg when getting on or off the bike. Provides great fun for onlookers, serves as good exercise, and allows testing of my protective gear from time to time without involving other vehicles.
Thanks. I've been looking at footman's loops (which would prevent the snagging) but haven't found any that seem quite the right size. Guess I should decide exactly what I want to strap on top of the Pelican before I decide what size is right. I'm just getting the knack of swinging my leg over the Pelican - and not kicking it with my boot - so having to avoid snagging my pants will mean a whole new thing to learn!

Derek