Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #46
chelo5sur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I m really enjoying your RR, specially the pics.
Thanks for sharing
chelo5sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #47
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelo5sur View Post
I m really enjoying your RR, specially the pics.
Thanks for sharing
I really appreciate the feedback, guys. Glad you're enjoying the ride!

This morning's adventure was a short jaunt south of Louisville to Taylorsville. Finally got underway around 7:00am and had no real plan to follow, which the DR is revealing itself to be the near-perfect bike for this kind of riding. My old Kawasaki 250cc F11 served this purpose all through high school, carrying me through a maze of backroads I'd never traveled before while keeping the speeds manageable.

On a side note, I dealt with the already choking heat by soaking my T-shirt in cool water before putting it on. It's pretty amazing the difference that makes underneath protective gear. I keep threatening to investigate the higher-tech cooling vests that do about the same thing but as long as the low-tech idea is working, it's not a very pressing concern. Anyone using these vests care to weigh in on their performance?

Heading south on T-ville road, I crested a rise and was surprised to see an old friend on the side of the road:

Wish I had a dollar for every click I'd ridden in one of these birds. The UH-1 Huey, at least in my mind, serves as the apex of military air transport. Effective, tough as hell, and still relatively simple, these were still the main transport helicopter during my army days. The Blackhawk was just entering service and building it's reputation as an overweight, overly complex, crash hazard when I got out. Lost a good friend and schoolmate , Greg Dean, who was serving as a Blackhawk crew chief down at Ft. Campbell, KY when his went down. Anyway, a study in effectiveness:

Here in Jeffersontown Veteran's memorial Park, they also have a U.S. Navy Mark 14 torpedo on static display. I often wonder how my life would've turned out if I'd joined the Navy. They recruited me pretty hard but I went to the Army, for reasons that I can't seem to recall, now.

They also had a pair of these awesome 3" (.50 cal) naval guns on display! These were built right here in Louisville at the old Naval Ordnance facility located on the west side of Louisville International Airport, formerly known as Standiford Field. I worked right down the street from Naval Ordnance until October of last year, when I changed jobs:

Although the T&E wheels are locked, I still climbed up there to see how it would feel driving one of these. Not sure I was comfortable with the breech being just a few inches away from the side of my head:

I got this shot a bit farther along, thinking it did a nice job of illustrating a common secondary road here in Kentucky. The morning sun is almost in the center of the pic, so it's a bit washed out. No way I was gonna sit there until the sun moved out of the way. I think it's supposed to be 104 degrees again, albeit later in the afternoon:

I turned onto an insignificant looking side road and found this old train trestle. It was cooler down by the nearly-dry stream that ran beneath it, and quiet, too. A peaceful spot to stop, although there was nowhere to get off the road. These were shot from the saddle as that was the only option I had:

Time having its way with someone's grand endeavor.

A stagnant stream near the above house. We are in need of rain and many of the areas ponds and streams have gone mostly dry. This one was still holding water but it was more a chain of loosely connected puddles and ponds than the stream it will be once the rains return:

I rode along the spine of a low ridge for several miles and stopped at this isolated place. Wide open for this part of the country, I felt the absence of a sack lunch. A lone tree inspires a bite to eat and a short nap afterward, at least in my world it does:

The DR650's speedometer features a significant error that I wouldn't have noticed without the GPS I installed earlier in the week. It's reading about 10mph slow in the 70mph range. Not a big deal to me because I seldom go that fast unless I'm connecting something with interstate, but it's still good to know. Here's a pic of it in no hurry at all, sitting in front of an abandoned structure that had part of a metal quonset hut attached to the rear. Note the glass blocks framing the door. These were still quite common when I was a child and seeing them takes me back to that simpler time:

How could I pass up this shot of a propane tank cleverly disguised as a roll of the world famous Purnell's "Old Folks" sausage at their production facility in Simpsonville, Kentucky? This stuff has been around the area for years and is another icon of my youth. I think they've been making sausage at this location since the mid-1950's:

On the way back home I found this. It's not twenty miles from the house and I've never seen it before! Seems this particular post has inadvertently focused on the brutality of man, eh?

Two supporting links related to the massacre:

http://home.comcast.net/~5thuscc/simpson.htm

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...ville_Kentucky

ghostdncr screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 12:52 PM
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #48
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
. Anyone using these vests care to weigh in on their performance?
Speaking only to performance in less humid conditions the vests do the same thing as wetting your shirt but they cool for a much longer period (hours) instead of 15 minutes.

FWIW, I lived in Louisville when I was much younger back in the 70's and my dad still lives there. Thanks for sharing your pics.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #49
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Speaking only to performance in less humid conditions the vests do the same thing as wetting your shirt but they cool for a much longer period (hours) instead of 15 minutes.
Not much danger in anything drying out around here. My shirt was still quite wet after about three hours riding. Even though it hasn't rained in months, the daily humidity seems to peak around 80% in the morning hours and that's keeping the plants mostly watered.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #50
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
That train trestle is over Pope Lick rd and Pope Lick Creek. I grew up about a mile from there and used to play on that trestle and walk across it on a dare. There's a local legend associated with it too called the Pope Lick Monster. Half goat half human lived on and around the trestle and scared anyone who trespassed. We would camp out as kids and sneak to the area to see if we could spot the monster. Of course we were armed with bb guns just to be safe :)

This is Tinkers Hill. No idea where the name comes from but anybody who lived in the area knows it by that name. My dad had an old army Willys Jeep back in the 50's. We would come home late from Boy Scout meetings in the summer when it was hotter than hades and it was always cooler as you descended into the valley below. Pope Lick runs into Floyds Fork not a half mile from the trestle.

This home belongs to a Mrs Tinnel who is now late nineties and in a nursing home. There's a curvy dirt road up the hill behind it to a cornfield. It was great fun to make a train of sleds and fly down it in the winter.

The stagnant creek you mention is Floyds Fork named for John Floyd an early inhabitant of the area and a surveyor who helped lay out Louisville in the 1770's. He was killed by Indians in Bullit County and is buried over off Breckenridge Lane near the Home Depot. He was a member of the party that rescued Daniel Boone's daughter from the Indians.

John
Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #51
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Thanks for the excellent follow-up, John! That filled in lots of blanks. I heard a train heading toward Louisville when I was down near the TInnel house and wish it had passed while I was under the trestle. Another rider passed while I was photographing the trestle but he didn't even slow down, instead just waving and rolling on the throttle of the small cruiser he was riding.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #52
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,723
Lord yes. Crossing the Pope Lick trestle at night was a right of passage for we locals. You were always hearing an on coming train as soon as you started across. If a train didn't get you the "goat-boy" would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
That train trestle is over Pope Lick rd and Pope Lick Creek. I grew up about a mile from there and used to play on that trestle and walk across it on a dare. There's a local legend associated with it too called the Pope Lick Monster. Half goat half human lived on and around the trestle and scared anyone who trespassed. We would camp out as kids and sneak to the area to see if we could spot the monster. Of course we were armed with bb guns just to be safe :)

This is Tinkers Hill. No idea where the name comes from but anybody who lived in the area knows it by that name. My
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #53
bovine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Lots of good pictures, next time you guys get out for a Sunday ride I'd like to tag along. My 650 is just a little fatter than yours.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #54
Sourjon
TAT'erd

There used to be 4 step outs, small platforms with rails, on the trestle where you could get off the tracks in an emergency. People would go out and wait for a train to pass. Sometime in the 70's the removed them all. Now you better be able to run like hell! Or fly!

John
Old 07-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #55
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

This morning found me in search of Knobs State Forest, a little south of Shepherdsville, Kentucky. According to the info I could find on it, it's an approximately 1100 acre holding that serves as a tree farm and wildlife management area. I hit the road a little before 7:00am and was soon rolling down Preston Highway, which is just another of the main secondary roads leading out of Louisville. Louisville is circled by two major roads, I-264 (the Watterson Expressway) and I-265 (the Gene Snyder Freeway). Preston runs perpendicular to these two and between them, is mostly a cacophony of small restaurants, check-cashing joints, strip clubs, buy here/pay here car lots, and so forth. Oh, and there's plenty of overhead cables to muck up the view:

In the middle of all this, a small stand of cattails growing alongside the road where I stopped to snap the above pic:

I did stop to get a pic of Tattoo Charlie's place on Preston:

Because nothing says "fancy" quite like throwing an extra E on the end.

Looking west from the Salt River bridge in Shepherdsville:

I stopped to get a pic of the tracks and was treated to this CSX train bursting out of the woods at a full clip, probably in the neighborhood of 60mph:

Apparently, iron works sprang up all around this area in the early to mid 1800's:

Beginnings of Kentucky's Knobs region, if I remember my middle school geography correctly:

And suddenly, I find it:

Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #56
tiger seven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Great stuff! I grew up on the Fern Creek/J-town border area, and visited the Pope Lick trestle many times in my youth. The "Goat Man" stories were awesome. Back then there was nothing much out there, and it was pitch black at night and scary as hell to a kid.

I hope to get out and do some riding this week now the weather's better. I'll be on the lookout for that DR!

Derek
tiger seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #57
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Yeah, we should all hook up for a ride, soon! I do these little short jaunts early most Saturdays and/or Sundays so if any of you want to tag along, just give a shout earlier in the week. My "plan" usually consists of some half-baked idea that springs to mind during the morning's first coffee, so don't expect much.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #58
Sourjon
TAT'erd

I'm headed to Maggie Valley NC in the morning but I'd be up for a ride some Sunday.

John
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #59
bovine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I have baled hay in that field in the hill pictures, at the end of Hwy 245 and Preston huh? Guess I need to head out to the Knobs Park and try out these Shinkos.
Sunday rides are good cause I work every Saturday due to my schedule.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #60
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Although it took several tries because these roads don't exist on my GPS, I finally found the state forest. Just moments after hitting gravel and zipping past the large, angry dog at the house trailer on the right, you come to the maintenance barn and the sign that confirms your arrival and just past that, the first of two parking areas. It's signboard is littered with laws and regulations, do and don't lists, and generally left me questioning whether I should even be there reading it. Why didn't I get a pic of that?

After confirming that I would not be arrested or shot at for riding on the main road, this was found waiting:

The gravel road is approximately 2.5 miles long and dead-ends at private property. While many of you will laugh at my excitement of finding a five mile gravel ride, it's quite a find for these parts. I rode it twice, mainly to check out the DR's handling with the new Shinko 244s. They did a great job, breaking loose just enough to make drifting the rear a real thrill. Once, I was attempting a sliding 180 turn and came as close to high-siding as I ever have without following through with it. Skin o' the teeth is plenty.

That's a blue heron flapping its way across the pic. There must have been a small, hidden pool in the otherwise dry stream, because I can't imagine why else this large wading bird would have launched out of the brush as I approached. It was so overgrown here that there could've been an office building over there and you couldn't have seen it.

This is another of our dried out local streams I was telling you about earlier. Doesn't look like there's been any water here for quite some time, but I'll try to get another photo after the rains return to illustrate the difference. Yeah, it gets more like savanna (the ecosystem, not the city in Georgia) around here every year, in regards to the seasonal water availability:

This shot is from the state forest's access road, taken on the way out, I think:

This turned into a great little ride. It's not far from downtown Louisville and offers plenty of gravel riding practice with areas off the road to stop for lunch or a rest break. Can't wait to see this place when the leaves start taking on their fall colors!