User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
deafanddiabetic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Baby's First Airhead Build.

I've been apprenticing (i.e. Shop Bum) at a local cycle works this past year that specializes in BMW restorations. I've had my hands on some /2s, /3s and even an R69s once.

Ever since I first started wrenching on German machination I haven't felt inspired by all my Honda projects at home. I wanted one of my own.

Because of a new job I had to move out of the city and with that I sold the few projects I had left due to no garage at my forthcoming living situation, a CB750 and a Sport 90 to hopefully finance a BMW project when one turned up.

Craigslist had been failing me for several months and the lack of space deterred me from taking the plunge when something interesting did pop up.

The owner of the shop had known I was seeking a project Beemer and as a generous Christmas gift held onto one of his acquisitions to offer me. I was now the excited owner of a 1975 R75/6.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't complete, it wasn't running and it wasn't going to be easy but she had low miles I loved her all the same.

As per our agreement on it's purchase, even more thankfully he offered to let me rifle through the massive storage and inventory of old Beemer parts to find a correct seat, side panels, transmission, mufflers and other needed parts for the project.

As icing on the cake, I am even allowed to store it at the shop until spring with full use of the shop, tools and time under the watchful eye of certified vintage BMW mechanics.

The only stipulation to our agreement? I have to do the work myself.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

deafanddiabetic screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 03:43 PM
deafanddiabetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
Wow! The Karma Fairy is workin' overtime. Great news, and Congratulations!!

...and thanks for coming here.... we jus' luv old Airheads!!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
radmeister
not there

Oddometer: 49
baby's first airhead rebuild

You are a very intelligent 25 year old.

I am more than twice your age and can hardly wait to begin a similar apprenticeship.

Subscribed.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,973
I like those early edition /5 seats with the twin hand holds. I have one of these but with the other hand hold. The material of these seats seems more robust and I personally think it will last longer than the other type of vinyl. Twin hand holds are also rarer so make sure you get some credit for giving him a rarer seat for the correct one for your bike.

Long input shaft 5 speeds with the ribbed case were 1979 & 1980. Should be the best trans for this vintage. But if you get to build a trans from scratch you can mix and match to make something pretty cool.

Congratulations and Welcome to the Asylum. We are the inmates. And now you are one too.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddiabetic View Post
I've been apprenticing (i.e. Shop Bum) at a local cycle works this past year that specializes in BMW restorations. The owner of the shop had known I was seeking a project Beemer and as a generous Christmas gift held onto one of his acquisitions to offer me. I was now the excited owner of a 1975 R75/6.
Very exciting~the owner seems like a great guy.

Congrats.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
deafanddiabetic OP
Adventurer

Thanks everybody, it's hard to find people who like to build around here. As much as I love the guys at the shop, it's definitly a "job" for them which cuts into the passion aspect. I'm still all bright-eyed and busy tailed and cant' get enough of it all.

disston - I appreciate the input, the owner did mention that he wanted that seat and in return would find me a headlight (supposedly very expensive?)

As far as tranny, they have an extra 4 speed from a /5 available that according to them matches gear ratios closely enough that putting it on would be of no consequence. I'm also for that idea because I can't live without a kickstarter. The /6s don't have them from what I understand.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
bpeckm
Grin!

Some /6 trannys had kickstarters, as did some from as late as the early '80's. Supposedly the /5 had a more robust kickstarter system, but all were less robust than those on the kickstart-only /2 era bikes.

Four- and five-speeds both had the same top and lowest gear, the difference was that the 2 of 3 in between gave a lower ratio.

The final drives varied by engine size. There is a lot of good info on this site, where you can look up a lot of stuff.

There is an unbelievable amount of information and knowledge about these bikes, and this is a good place to mine it!!

Old 02-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
deafanddiabetic OP
Adventurer

Well, might as well update while I'm here.

The first thing I did was pull the carbs. The left one was in amazing condition, clean as a whistle but I ultrasonicced it anyway so it'd be shiny and new. The right hand carb on the other hand...

I stuck it in CLR for a good long while and it was like a bubbling moat. Next I threw it in the ultrasonic a million times but the jets were so fried and stuck that I spent the rest of the evening heating them and trying to extract them.

In the end, the extractor broke out in the middle of the jet and I had to use the drill press to get them out.

A good first day, right?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,973
Stay away from kick starters on a 5 speed. The 4 speeds may be stronger but I don't think they are really much better than pushing. When motorcycles started getting electric starters there was really not much need for kick starters after the first couple of years. Electric starters are very dependable. We have problems with the electric starters every 20 or 30 years or so. Rebuild the starter, keep a good battery in bike, and have a working alternator system.

I had a 1974 R90/6 with the notorious first year 5 speed with a kick starter that no longer worked. When the battery got a little old and weak this bike had to be pushed to start. So much for the kick starter.

So you probably can't be too picky about which transmission he gives you. A /5 trans will work just fine.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
bpeckm
Grin!

I remember bump-starting my Honda 90SS back when I was twenty-something... I would run and push the bike and jump over it as I popped the clutch, and ... ta-daaa.. it would start....

Fast forward to forty years later with an 800 cc bike.... fuhgeddaboutit.... It just ain't gonna happen! A good battery with a good charging system: happiness!!!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
TogaJoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Oww... the sweaty memories of a 5'5" / 55kg / 25yr younger me push starting my RS... fun - Not !
TogaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Off to a good start. I have a 75 R75/6 great bike, runs well, and looks good too. Best of luck.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 858
Don't listen to the "nay sayers", the kick start on the /5 transmissions are as good as the /2s. The only thing that makes for a bad kick start is the user. Used properly, the kick start will never give trouble.

Kick starts were left on the /6 bikes in 1974 but were removed for 1975. The kick start was then an option on the 5 speed transmission. I fit that option to a lot of bikes. The kick start on the 5 speed transmissions was not real good, not that it gave trouble, the way it was designed, you only got about half a kick out of it.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Post more....

Post more....

Your enthusiasm is awesome as is your bike.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
post more....

Post more....

Your enthusiasm is awesome as is your bike.
+1
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote