User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Bikes Keep Finding Me - This Time R100RT

I have an opportunity to pick up a R100RT ('82 I believe, with about 70K miles) with a Velorex side car presently mounted (don't know what model) .....asking price of $3800. I briefly looked at the bike and it seems decent, although currently being stored outside it's beginning to look somewhat neglected. I already have 5 bikes but thinking this may be an opportunity for a good two-up bike, with or without the hack. I've never ridden witih a sidecar.

Tires at a glance seem decent and the bike supposedly had regular service by it's previous owner (before the owner now).

From those experienced with this bike/sidecar how would it do two-up without the hack? My wife and I go a total of about 280# for the two of us and that would seem well within the max load showing on bmbikes specs...even with baggage. What kind of fuel mileage could I expect at 70-ish MPH two-up without the sidecar? MPG with the sidecar?

Price doesn't seem out of line, but I'm considering a cash-in-hand offer of $3400. IF I decided to sell of the sidecar what would it be worth?

What say you? Thanks, in advance.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 455
I bought a sidecar rig, it handled like a pig. I didn't know the questions to ask: does it have a raked triple tree? does it have a steering stabilizer? Are those sidecar specific tires? Heavy duty suspension? The chair's toe in and camber been set by a sidecar savvy tech? It can make all the difference. Either way, if you're looking to separate the two or take it for a ride as a a rig, you have to know. Putting the bike's suspension and steering geometry back to solo status might be a consideration.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post
I bought a sidecar rig, it handled like a pig.
How differnt is 'pig-like' from 'rubber cow'?

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
My 1982 R100RT (with over 120,000 miles so far) handles my 210# and up to the 170# of my son with no problems, but it's not exactly a sportbike, even with just my weight on it.
Performance is sufficient for any kind of riding you would do that's legal, but it's not going to keep up with the modern BMW's if they want to leave you behind.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
How differnt is 'pig-like' from 'rubber cow'?

Let's just say the rubber cow eventually goes the way you herd it, the pig just refuses to cooperate.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,969
My bad.

Quote:
Let's just say the rubber cow eventually goes the way you herd it, the pig just refuses to cooperate.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I bought a sidecar rig, it handled like a pig. I didn't know the questions to ask: does it have a raked triple tree? does it have a steering stabilizer? Are those sidecar specific tires? Heavy duty suspension? The chair's toe in and camber been set by a sidecar savvy tech? It can make all the difference. Either way, if you're looking to separate the two or take it for a ride as a a rig, you have to know. Putting the bike's suspension and steering geometry back to solo status might be a consideration.
Thanks...all good questions. On the raked triple tree, are those typically a billet part, or in some way easily identified from stock? I would probably lean (no pun intended) toward returning it to two-wheel status. I don't think that the sidecar would appeal to me, other than to check the "ride a motorcycle with a sidecar" box on my bucket list.

How about the MPG question for the R100RT...... as a motorcycle? 40 MPG @ 70MPH....better....worse?

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

If it's the original owner, he'll know about the tree. I'd tie a washer to a string and eyeball it, you'll be able to tell if it's kicked out to cruiser rake. Older hack tires have a squared profile, you could look at the tires and see if that's the case...that might clue you about the suspension, too. Could be someone's just stuck a chair on a nice bike and you're lucky.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If it's the original owner, he'll know about the tree. I'd tie a washer to a string and eyeball it, you'll be able to tell if it's kicked out to cruiser rake. Older hack tires have a squared profile, you could look at the tires and see if that's the case...that might clue you about the suspension, too. Could be someone's just stuck a chair on a nice bike and you're lucky.
I talked with someone who has some knowledge of the bike, besides the current owner. I think the sidecar might have been a recent addition, the way it sounded. So then....what would the sidecar posssibly be worth if I were to separate it? I know that's a vague question since I don't know the model Velorex car it is, or how old it is. Just looking at it briefly it appeared to have good upholstery and top(s?) and not all beat up. When I looked at KBB and NADA the price for the R100RT, like always, had a w-i-d-e variation, but then again it's a 30 year old bike so condition is everything.

Thanks

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Velorex are light weight sidecars. It shouldn't have tweeked the RT too much lest there was some bovine heaffer in the hack.

$3800 is pretty good. You could detach the hack, sell it, and come out with enough to pretty up the RT for good service for years to come.

Mind you, I am the kind of person that finds a room for of poop and starts digging for a pony. YMMV.
Airhead #371
bmwloco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
I talked with someone who has some knowledge of the bike, besides the current owner. I think the sidecar might have been a recent addition, the way it sounded. So then....what would the sidecar posssibly be worth if I were to separate it? I know that's a vague question since I don't know the model Velorex car it is, or how old it is.
Can't know without seeing it first hand but new ones are over $2K. Say you get $800...that should mean you're left with a nice bike for $3K and some maintenance supplies.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
Velorex are light weight sidecars. It shouldn't have tweeked the RT too much lest there was some bovine heaffer in the hack.

$3800 is pretty good. You could detach the hack, sell it, and come out with enough to pretty up the RT for good service for years to come.

Mind you, I am the kind of person that finds a room for of poop and starts digging for a pony. YMMV.
I understand that poop/pony deal. I've found the pony a few times, but have also ended up with just the poop too. I've been through a lot of bikes in the last few years of all sizes and types, and overall I've managed to enjoy riding that wide variety of bikes and, through sweat equity, haven't spent a gob of money. By my standards a $3K+ bike is real money

I think I'll go talk to the owner tomorrow armed with some cash.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541