ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 510
Camping the KTM Rally in Taos -- anyone want to group up?`

For anyone attending the KTM Rally this September, I'm seeking to be able to camp with attendees. I'm hoping that we can gather together for security, safety, and camaraderie. Also, use this post to help each other figure out where to gather. If you are attending and hope to camp, please chime in here and maybe we can work out all grouping together somehow.

So far, the event organizations have distributed pretty much nothing in the way of information. Direct emails will result to direct answers to questions, but not much in the way of extended information. For example, they are not providing official camp grounds for the event and mention that camping in the nearby National Forrest is first come first served basis. No mention of said camp ground names, etc. They are not planning an official release of information until the week prior to the event -- which I feel is lame as hell, but that is my opinion.

For more on the event go to http://www.ktmorangeevents.com/

So far, what I can gather is there is a camp ground near the lodge where the event is being held named Twining Camp Ground. It only offers 4 camp sites and no facilities. No facilities seems to be the theme for anything remotely close to the event. The even organizers said they are working to have portapotties available, but again didn't say where and the context of the information made it sound like they haven't secured this yet.

I will be traveling there on Thursday morning, but don't expect to arrive early enough to snag prime locations. I will be driving my truck with two bikes in the bed, but I'm not opposed to following a caravan of bikes or other vehicles from the Phoenix area to the event.

ben
Old 08-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

Here is a list of camp grounds in the Carson National Forrest. http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southwst/carcmp.htm

The Agua Piedra is just the East of the Lodge. Looks like too far to walk to and from the event, but probably a short drive on the motorcycle at least. It might be the next best thing to camping at the event site location, but because it is an organized camp ground it might be hard to secure space and there will be a daily rate charge.

If you look at Google Maps, there are a bunch of side roads just the North and West of the lodge. From the aerial view it appears that one could easily camp along the road, but I can't find any information that states whether or not it is permitted. It looks like overflow parking the ski resort.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
verboten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Perhaps this will help your planning?
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/carson...telprdb5278650

Find the MVUM nearest the event location and look for roads with the dots alongside them. This indicates allowable dispersed camping (no facilities). Review the notes on the map as to how far off the road or trail you are allowed to drive in order to set camp. This varies from forest to forest due to variable environmental conditions and management. If you have a smart phone or tablet with GPS, download Avenza PDF maps and you will be able to see your position on the map, which is pretty nice when trying to find camp sites in the dark.
Hope it helps.
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
Sledred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Verboten - you da bomb!!!! Athough I'm not going to the event it's good info for the future... Thanks
Sledred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
verboten
Gnarly Adventurer

No problem. I use that PDF app on my phone all the time. The Prescott Forest map is especially handy since there is a decent amount of single track depicted. A few fellow inmates have been exploring some of those trails and have found some rough stuff :)

I find the best way to find MVUMs is to google the forest name and MVUM.
Example "coronado mvum" gets you to the maps that aren't even listed on the national web index of MVUMs.
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/prog...ohv_maps.shtml

verboten screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 09:27 PM
Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

That is excellent information. Thanks for sharing verboten.

ben
Old 08-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

Looks like Taos is in the Questa Ranger District of the Carson NSF. Looking at the map though, it appears there is no dispersed camping anywhere near it.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

I've emailed the event and asked them if camping will be allowed in areas highlighted in yellow on the attached map.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
verboten
Gnarly Adventurer

Strange that KTM is holding an event at a ski resort surrounded by wilderness and areas that dont allow dispersed camping. So thin on details, not interested in going.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,498
Guys, see below from the KTM event registration page;

HOST HOTEL: There are (4) four different lodges to choose from when looking for a location to stay for the KTM Adventure Rider Rally. Please use the group code: KTM Rally for all lodge bookings to receive the discounted rate. Please note that the rally will be based in the parking lot of Taos Ski Valley in the center of the four lodges below.

CAMPING: The Carson National Forest in Taos allows dry camping on any of the locations surrounding the host hotels. There is no fee for camping and space is allotted on a first come, first serve basis.

So KTM has set you up with 4 local lodge/hotels at discounted rates and has told you in writing that dry camping IS ALLOWED in the Carson National forest around the host hotels. What else do they need to do for you? They are a motorcycle manufacturer, not a campground or ranger district. If you want to camp, do your research and pick a campground or area to camp in. If you want to be close to the event or other riders, get a room at one of the host hotels.

It's not their job to find your accommodations for you.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
bobwombat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
KTM Rally Camping

Brents: I'm with armourbl; this is a KTM NATIONAL EVENT but information to registered participants has been very sparse; basically a 2 page .pdf with little detail. Sending more info a week before the eveent is weak for a supposedly big show.

I don't need anybody to hold my hand regarding camping or anything else but, so far, the lack of event information has been remarkable. I expected a bit more from event organizers so am hoping the event itself is excellent.

For my part, I was sort of hoping for some organized camp area that might be somewhat secure since I don't want my tent & sleeping bag to go missing while on a ride. Who knows; maybe it will be a moot point once we arrive but, so far, very very weak from the organizers.

Bob in AZ
bobwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwombat View Post
Brents: I'm with armourbl; this is a KTM NATIONAL EVENT but information to registered participants has been very sparse; basically a 2 page .pdf with little detail. Sending more info a week before the eveent is weak for a supposedly big show.

I don't need anybody to hold my hand regarding camping or anything else but, so far, the lack of event information has been remarkable. I expected a bit more from event organizers so am hoping the event itself is excellent.

For my part, I was sort of hoping for some organized camp area that might be somewhat secure since I don't want my tent & sleeping bag to go missing while on a ride. Who knows; maybe it will be a moot point once we arrive but, so far, very very weak from the organizers.

Bob in AZ
Ok, fair enough. Here's what I can tell you from previous years.

The info you get a week prior to the event is going to be disappointing. It is going to include times for some of the events/rides/dinners, and not much more.

The event itself takes place in a parking lot at (in this case) the ski resort. Participants make their way to town however they want, whenever they want, and stay in whatever accommodations they secure. Dirt/dry camp, 5 star hotel or anywhere in between. Meet up with other Adv/KTM riders wherever you set it up. On Thurs. morning a lot of guys go over to the event site, watch them set-up, meet other riders and shoot the shit. Friday morning show up at the site/hotel early, sign in, have a buffet breakfast, then head down to the event. There will be a lot of people milling around, talking to vendors, etc. KTM will ask everyone to gather around for a riders meeting, then sign-ups for test rides will begin. They will also at this time announce what KTM factory riders will be doing group rides, to where, and where to meet up and when. Friday night have a buffet dinner in the hotel. Saturday is more of the same, except Sat. night is the awards dinner. A better meal, better location, and KTM gives out some fun awards and shows off photos they have been taking all weekend. Sunday morning there is no breakfast and guys begin to break up and head their own ways. Thats about it.

Edit- The group camping last year was only done because CJracer put it together. It was a great time, there was probably 50 ADV riders in the camp ground and despite the week-long rain a good time was had by all. During the week leading up to the event, guys would get together and head into town for dinner and drinks. Or hang out by yourself. It was an organized campground, just outside of town (10 miles or so from the event?) and there were no issues with everyones gear/tents/etc. that I know of.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50

brents347 screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 08:05 PM
Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Here is some BLM camping near Taos.
http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/rec...lla_verde.html
It has toilets and power, but is 15+ miles from the event at Taos ski valley.

Camping near Taos ski valley itself can be had at places like Twining campground.
http://www.campingroadtrip.com/campg...ing-campground
This is dry camping only, but it is CLOSE to the event.

Given these options, I'll probably just get/split a room at one of the local hotels.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #14
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

I'm sorry, but as the event organizer there is a lot more that they could be doing for the attendees. All we are looking for is some solid information. I've done event organization before, so I feel like I know what I'm talking about and it isn't asking too much from them.

This thread was made in an attempt to collectively figure it out for ourselves and hopefully group up.

I've already mentioned Twining Camp Ground, which according to the NSF website offers only 4 camp sites. I wouldn't count on that being available. If I can camp along the areas highlighted in yellow on the pic I attached earlier, I'll be perfectly happy. I'd be even more happy if the event organizers provide some restroom facilities for number 1's and 2's. I don't expect showers, power, or any other lavish amenities, but basic needs should be considered.

ben
Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Ok, I'll stop being defensive. Here's my take. KTM has nothing to do with the camping. They provided the hotels and if you want something different, they figure you'll work it out. As for the highlighted areas above, KTM is in Ohio and they don't know the local area so they'll never tell you that you CAN do it. I'd say just show up and do it. If someone doesn't want you there (it won't be KTM) they'll ask you to leave. As for bathrooms, as mentioned KTM will have port-a-johns at the site near the trucks for the attendees to use during the day, but these may be just pissers and not shitters. Then you wipe our hands on your pants! KTM puts on a good fun event, but they expect you to stay in a hotel. Unfortunately, Taos ski valley doesn't have the camping locally like Steamboat had last year.

I don't know what I'm doing yet (last year I had my dirt route all worked out by this time), so it'll obviously be last minute, but either way Amourbi the first round of drinks in New Mexico is one me.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50