ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #136
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoageallen View Post
Well, the good news is that if you wanted to experience verplank ridge. We did trim a lot of it to get back out. Just don't be surprised to be challenged for sure. This trail is not for the faint of heart. Expect to turn back at the edge of the ridge.
And.... Don't go alone! Believe me, I know,Verplank Saddle is the absolute point of no return on that trail, turnaround there or farewell my friend.... Beyond that point you will need a helicopter to retrieve your bike/bikes or pack mules to haul out the parts.

pcvance screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 11:48 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #137
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
And.... Don't go alone! Believe me, I know,Verplank Saddle is the absolute point of no return on that trail, turnaround there or farewell my friend.... Beyond that point you will need a helicopter to retrieve your bike/bikes or pack mules to haul out the parts.
myself and couple o my ridding budy's plan on ride it went cool down a little bit, we let you no iff we hike o ride all the way .

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #138
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
myself and couple o my ridding budy's plan on ride it went cool down a little bit, we let you no iff we hike o ride all the way .
Well Javier, if there is anyone who can ride this trail all the way through from top to bottom, it would be you...but I still wouldnt recommend it. But, you are "the goat trail rider" and Verplank is the mother of all goat trails. The Kings canyon is one of the deepest canyons in the world. The elevation drops about 5000 feet from the Verplank ridge to to Kings river. If you do ride it make sure you have a helicopter to take video, because it will be some incredible footage.

pcvance screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 12:54 AM
Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #139
yoageallen
n00b

Oddometer: 6
You better hike it first. I would have left my bike in the truck if I'd seen it first when we retrieved Perry's.
yoageallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #140
slowerthanu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
i love a challenging trail,but this is beyond that,its not worth riding imo,without someone or a group adopting the trail and cleaning it up.i dont care if your david knight you will get stuck and frustrated. the trail has never been officially closed by the nepa process so i imagine it could be technically opened up ,but it will require a lot of love. i rode the lower section by the river its nice but short,it looks like hikers and hunters use it, the majority of it is either washed out or overgrown.
husaberg fe570 plated

slowerthanu screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 09:14 AM Reason: i cant spell worth a darn
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #141
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerthanu View Post
i love a challenging trail,but this is beyond that,its not worth riding imo,without someone or a group adopting the trail and cleaning it up.i dont care if your david knight you will get stuck and frustrated. the trail has never been officially closed by the nepa process so i imagine it could be technically opened up ,but it will require a lot of love. i rode the lower section by the river its nice but short,it looks like hikers and hunters use it, the majority of it is either washed out or overgrown.
Yes Adam, it would require a lot of love....and could be a great trail again. Lots of hours of work for sure.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #142
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
13 years ago peaplo said the same abouth rincon and cedar ,3 years o work and is a nice trail.
we be there in the fall with Bicycle Ron, Tim and couple o my buddies , we like this type o trails,is like ride bear trap ,cop,mitch o kelso imposible in the piutes most hate theme few love theme .No to mention the No trail in frazier park ,take 4 hours for ride 5 miles

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 08-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #143
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,572
Quote:
13 years ago peaplo said the same abouth rincon and cedar ,3 years o work and is a nice trail.
we be there in the fall with Bicycle Ron, Tim , RAZR and couple o my buddies , we like this type o trails,is like ride bear trap ,cop,mitch o kelso imposible in the piutes most hate theme few love theme .No to mention the No trail in frazier park ,take 4 hours for ride 5 miles
fixt
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #144
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
fixt
Perfect, there WILL be a helmet cam....Sweaterpunk666 productions
Old 08-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #145
slowerthanu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
we be there in the fall with Bicycle Ron, Tim and couple o my buddies , we like this type o trails,is like ride bear trap ,cop,mitch o kelso imposible in the piutes most hate theme few love theme .No to mention the No trail in frazier park ,take 4 hours for ride 5 miles
don't get me wrong,I enjoy hard single track trails ask perry,i would rather ride 90 miles of technical single track in my back yard, than carry my bike through 5 miles of poison oak infested used to be a trail!
that being said i would be down for a organized work party.just bring calamine lotion and plenty of cold drinks!
husaberg fe570 plated
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #146
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
don't get me wrong,I enjoy hard single track trails ask perry,i would rather ride 90 miles of technical single track in my back yard, than carry my bike through 5 miles of poison oak infested used to be a trail!
that being said i would be down for a organized work party.just bring calamine lotion and plenty of cold drinks!
ride and kill the poison oak in the fall /winter and get the trail ready for spring,I not ride in the summer much .Iff you doing 90 miles o mountain trails in a day the are good trail with some dificult.
45 to 60 miles is plenty o ride on the stuff I like /built

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 08-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #147
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
fixt

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 08-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #148
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Eh? A Sunday afternoon ride........in the land of the Giants

As Paul Harvey always said "And now, for the rest of the story"

The Millwood OHV staging area in the Giant Sequoia National Monument is where this story begins. I made a last minute decison to go for an afternoon recon ride up to the Verplank Ridge trail 27E03, I left my trusty dog Max with the truck and told him I'd be back before dark.

He's such a good boy! guarding the truck while I'm out riding.

The trailhead was about 15 miles from the truck via Abbott Creek Rd, Chicago Stump Rd and Verplank rd, a dead end.

If you look closely here, you can see the Deliah lookout tower on Pine ridge.

This view is looking back toward Millwood on the McKenzie ridge. A long way from the truck, this will matter later on...when the search begins.

Ahh, the Verplank trail, I'd been wanting to check this sucker out for quite some time, looks inviting eh?

It reminded me of the enchanted forest, I almost expected to see Robinhood drop out of the trees......

Ha, here's the AAA plug....

It was a beautiful afternoon for a ride.

Pretty fukin' cool!I was diggin' it for sure.

Verplank ridge is a mixed forest of Giant Sequoia, Cedar, Fir, Pine, Black Oak and Manzinita. Awesome trail, but watch out, it will suck you in....I kept telling myself it would be no problem riding this solo, I'll just turn around and head back when it gets a bit tougher. Yeah right......

Where's the trail?

Coronas are required.

It is a brushy SOB.

And the Masters Paint & Body plug....

Yep, Adam, this trail does need alot of work....

Javi, check out the free Trailtricks plug...

Right here was the first crash of the day, I was yanked off the bike by the Brush Monster.

Klammer, Krappy Trail Machine you say? Do you know of any good KDX two smokes for sale.

Ok, back on the trail, I'm thinkin' to myself again, this shit ain't so bad, I'd heard the horror stories about this place.

F'n tons of poison oak!

Well, here's crash site #2, not so good this time, the rear tire bounced off a log across the trail and I dove off the low side of the very skinny at this point trail. It was a good thing the KTM was stuck upsidedown in two downed trees that formed a perfect V or it would probably still be there, but alot further down the mountain.

I'll be back later with the rest of the story.... part II "Get the KTM back on the trail"

Good thing I always carry some paracord! A preview of what's next.....winchin' the bike out, spending the night on Verplank saddle, the hike, helicopters, rattlesnakes, bears and stuff....

Fresno County Sheriffs "Eagle One" SAR helo.

pcvance screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 07:26 AM
Old 08-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #149
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,504
Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #150
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
I'm with this guy ^

And I'm not one to volunteer my time (so little of it there is) but maybe we can adopt this one before anyone decides to officially close it? Looks beautiful so far. And its an hour and twenty from my house so that makes the comitment a little more realistic... A little :p
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote