ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #151
up in smoke
RIDE

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
I'm with this guy ^

And I'm not one to volunteer my time (so little of it there is) but maybe we can adopt this one before anyone decides to officially close it? Looks beautiful so far. And its an hour and twenty from my house so that makes the comitment a little more realistic... A little :p
sounds good to me. only 25 min from my pad
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #152
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by up in smoke View Post
sounds good to me. only 25 min from my pad
Hey Byron, so yo like it rough huh? You will love this trail.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #153
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
I'm with this guy ^

And I'm not one to volunteer my time (so little of it there is) but maybe we can adopt this one before anyone decides to officially close it? Looks beautiful so far. And its an hour and twenty from my house so that makes the comitment a little more realistic... A little :p
Michael,
That's why I was on the recon ride, mountain Singletrack soooo close to home! If it does get restored it will be a downhill travel only deal, going up would just destroy all the work that was done to make it rideable.

pcvance screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 08:45 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #154
up in smoke
RIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Michael,
That's why I was on the recon ride, mountain Singletrack soooo close to home! If it does get restored it will be a downhill travel only deal, going up would just destroy all the work that was done to make it rideable.
we would just have to make some sort of drop off with logs/rocks at the bottom so no one could ride up it.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #155
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Michael,
so went you get to the bottom is a trail o rd along the river??iff is only a 1 way trail just clean it and leave it tough

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #156
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 264
Perry I know the log from crash #2! My buddy and I got to that point and figured its downhill so let's keep going. Got both bikes over with only my buddy slipping down the hill while we were manhandling his DRZ over the log. After a short break we got ready to continue down and saw what followed , it was so washed out and off camber decided to turn around! Wasn't easy since the trail is so skinny and off camber. Backed the bikes into a tree and pulled the front wheel around. Then had to manhandle the bikes back over the log. We were so tired by that point that we struggled getting back to the road Took almost an hour. I've never been glad to get off a single track, but I felt pure elation when I got back to the road after getting off Verplank!

FiveOJester screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 11:49 PM
FiveOJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #157
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuff enuff View Post
So glad to hear you are OK, Perry.
Any details on the bike recovery?
I have a 1978 Sequoia NF map which shows 27E03 as an infrequently maintained trail, so the FS practically abandoned that trail 30 years ago.
Made me think long and hard about riding alone. There are quite a few of us with major metal in our bones who would not be able to hike out 20 miles.

Thanks Dennis,
You're tuff enuff because you R the man of steel.
Infrequently maintained would be an understatement. Lol
Bike recovery details will be added to the ride report tomorrow.
Hint. I actually had to call on the Marines!
Semper Fi
Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #158
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
Perry I know the log from crash #2! My buddy and I got to that point and figured its downhill so let's keep going. Got both bikes over with only my buddy slipping down the hill while we were manhandling his DRZ over the log. After a short break we got ready to continue down and saw what followed and decided to turn around! Wasn't easy since the trail is so skinny and off camber. Backed the bikes into a tree and pulled the front wheel around. Then had to manhandle the bikes back over the log. I've never felt glad to get off a single track until that point!
Wow Dave thats a good story, I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one to go off the trail because of that log!
I agree with you that to go on past that spot on the ridge, it would require some major trail work. I lost track of the trail not far from that log across the trail. It also gets very steep and thick with brush.

pcvance screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 12:10 AM
Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #159
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
so went you get to the bottom is a trail o rd along the river??iff is only a 1 way trail just clean it and leave it tough
This is sounding like one awesome trail!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #160
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Man, you must've felt really guilty about leaving him in the car that long...................Welcome back.
NMBMN,
Yep, I was more worried about Max than ,myself, the poor critter was left tied to the truck... He is very resourceful though, he had pulled out of his collar and was running around having a great time while I was gone. He found the creek nearby and he knows campers = food, etc.

The orange dog and bike are home safe

pcvance screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 12:33 PM
Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #161
up in smoke
RIDE

http://www.redtrails.com/trail.php?s=q82968v
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #162
mr. thumbs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Glad you made it out OK. Max is a trooper.

Sounds like one of these would come in handy on that trail.

mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #163
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
NMBMN,
Yep, I was more worried about Max than ,myself, the poor critter was left tied to the truck... He is very resourceful though, he had pulled out of his collar and was running around having a great time while I was gone. He found the creek nearby and he knows campers = food, etc.

The orange dog and bike are home safe
Yeah, I remember the first time I met you out on the ride off Trona road with Klammer a year r so ago, Max was not shy about sharing my food with me.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #164
up in smoke
RIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. thumbs View Post
Glad you made it out OK. Max is a trooper.

Sounds like one of these would come in handy on that trail.

Think they used that thing to load there bike in the truck.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #165
jussumguy
psuedo intelectual

Oddometer: 39
Hey guys, Im new here. I ve hiked that trail with a rangerette several years ago. If you turn left about 30 or 40 feet before the drop off you will see the real trail. that drop off isnt the trail. I trhew everything I could find on that section to stop people from going off there. look closly at the ground and you will notice the soil is packed tightly. We put ribbons in the bushes every 10 feet or so to make it easy to see the trail. Its actually a really nice trail but it stops on the saddle above the indian rancheria so I never pursued much clearing. Good to see some interest in opening it though
jussumguy is offline   Reply With Quote