ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #166
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jussumguy View Post
Hey guys, Im new here. I ve hiked that trail with a rangerette several years ago. If you turn left about 30 or 40 feet before the drop off you will see the real trail. that drop off isnt the trail. I trhew everything I could find on that section to stop people from going off there. look closly at the ground and you will notice the soil is packed tightly. We put ribbons in the bushes every 10 feet or so to make it easy to see the trail. Its actually a really nice trail but it stops on the saddle above the indian rancheria so I never pursued much clearing. Good to see some interest in opening it though
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #167
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,493
A lonely night on Verplank Ridge... continued from post#148

Here you can see the log (top RH) that kicked me off the trail on the steep downhill side of the trail, the 525 was stuck hard between those two logs crossing each other. This happened late in the day and it took me until dark to get the bike back on the trail.




Oh fuck! what else can I say





The recovery, I used a tree and paracord the secure the bike while I pulled and pushed...

As you can see it took a while and it got dark before I was done.

it was an inch by inch ordeal

Coming up next.... the 20 mile hike out in Tech 10's and the SAR operation.....

My brother Jack with the Sat phone calling the Fresno Co. Sheriffs to look for me.

The search begins....the staging area is centered around my truck and Max.

I gotta get to work... more later....
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST

pcvance screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 07:50 AM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #168
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,565
Damn!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #169
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer
 
spafxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2,523



Good thing that GIANT mutant Ninja spider was around to help get the bike out!

I see he was already starting to lay out a web on ya !




.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #170
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live
 
dzrtracin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: the garage
Oddometer: 2,424
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Here you can see the log (top RH) that kicked me off the trail on the steep downhill side of the trail, the 525 was stuck hard between those two logs crossing each other. This happened late in the day and it took me until dark to get the bike back on the trail.




Oh fuck! what else can I say





The recovery, I used a tree and paracord the secure the bike while I pulled and pushed...

As you can see it took a while and it got dark before I was done.

it was an inch by inch ordeal

Coming up next.... the 20 mile hike out in Tech 10's and the SAR operation.....

My brother Jack with the Sat phone calling the Fresno Co. Sheriffs to look for me.

The search begins....the staging area is centered around my truck and Max

I gotta get to work... more later....
A very concerned brother, its nice to be loved
__________________
Content, NEVER!
dzrtracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #171
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,493
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post



Good thing that GIANT mutant Ninja spider was around to help get the bike out!

I see he was already starting to lay out a web on ya !




.
Yeah Jim,
Without help from the spider, the bike would still be there and without the two logs that snagged the KTM, it would have gone way down the mountain!
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #172
montibank
Happy
 
montibank's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno, Ca
Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by up in smoke View Post
we would just have to make some sort of drop off with logs/rocks at the bottom so no one could ride up it.
True... and not a bad idea. Foam pit at the bottom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
so went you get to the bottom is a trail o rd along the river??iff is only a 1 way trail just clean it and leave it tough
Ya ... rake the leaves off so you can see the underlaying and get the logs outa the offcamber stuff so no one else goes down that ravine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jussumguy View Post
Hey guys, Im new here. I ve hiked that trail with a rangerette several years ago. If you turn left about 30 or 40 feet before the drop off you will see the real trail. that drop off isnt the trail. I trhew everything I could find on that section to stop people from going off there. look closly at the ground and you will notice the soil is packed tightly. We put ribbons in the bushes every 10 feet or so to make it easy to see the trail. Its actually a really nice trail but it stops on the saddle above the indian rancheria so I never pursued much clearing. Good to see some interest in opening it though
Cool good info to have ... bah now we are gonna have to do some recon to figure this all out. :p... Byron?
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #173
TOPI1967
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post

The search begins....the staging area is centered around my truck and Max.

I gotta get to work... more later....
Work can wait!

TOPI1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #174
jussumguy
psuedo intelectual
 
jussumguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Reedley, Ca
Oddometer: 16
Cool, let me know, I'll ride down in there with you and show you where the trail is. I'm about 1 1/2 hours from the start of the challenging section.
jussumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #175
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
A very concerned brother, its nice to be loved
Yes, as you can tell by the look on his face, he was on a mission to find me, whatever it would take.....


including the Fresno County Sheriff's offroad jeep search team....

If you look closely in this pic, you can see Max laying by the truck.
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST

pcvance screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 07:34 AM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #176
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2
 
Kali Trailrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Canyon Lake CA
Oddometer: 458
20 mile hike in tech 10's

Wow that seems like the hardest part of your ordeal..!!

Sometimes I walk away from my bike to check something out...
But the walk/hike back to the bike wears me out and always seems to be up hill..!!

Can't wait to hear the story around the campfire this weekend..!!

See ya in the Meadows...
__________________
Let's roll...
Kali Trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #177
trailtrick
goat trail rider
 
trailtrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: socal
Oddometer: 3,306
Max don't see to worry abouth papa ,I remember him making me company went cooking the goat in the desert
__________________
"Vive tus sueños en vida, no la vida en sueños.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #178
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer
 
airborndad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Montclair Ca.
Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
Max don't see to worry abouth papa ,I remember him making me company went cooking the goat in the desert
Javier
while you were cooking goat you turned into max's new papa
dogs know good food when they smell it

pcvance
sounds like you did all the right things (almost) you had people that knew where you were and went to look for you when you were not back when expected
glad everything turned out OK

give your brother a big hug and a high five

sounds like a great adventure story you can tell in the future to the kids and grandkids
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #179
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,493
Laugh M1 Jeeps KM ride

I'm heading up to Kennedy Meadows tomorrow, the rest of the Verplank ridge story will have to wait until I get back. KM will be another story....this should be fun.
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #180
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,493
Laugh Kennedy Meadows V; M1Jeeps Summer Rally

Playing around in the river...



This was another GREAT time riding the in Sequoia National Forest...
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST

pcvance screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 07:01 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014