ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #211
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
Fun ride. Thanks Perry. How's your back? You going to be ready for Rubicon or Dusy in two weeks?
sure
Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #212
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
Fun ride. Thanks Perry. How's your back? You going to be ready for Rubicon or Dusy in two weeks?
If you go take video... And maybe some warm clothes to sleep in. :p
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #213
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
If you go take video... And maybe some warm clothes to sleep in. :p
But it's just a day ride, right?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #214
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Dusy is... both directions in one day.
traveltoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #215
Rearsteer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I have been over both Rub And Dusy about seven times each with a CJ-5 but never with a Moto. I plan on running Dusy from the top down as to go down Thomson Ridge as that is the hardest spot. Rub may be a better first moto 4X4 trail ride as its much shorter, but both will be a good hard run.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #216
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,762
Quote:
Perry... I had a very challenging time at about the 1/3 point and I had not even hit thompson hill where I destroyed my clucth cover/basket etc. Rider error, but you will find Dusy challenging I imagine.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #217
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC View Post
that may put a kink in our fullmoon ride
lets hope it goes towards kennedy and not the green hill

plus there is another fire in jawbone!!! anybody know where this is what it affects!

Firefighters continue to put out hot spots on the Jawbone Complex fires, approximately ten miles west of the Jawbone Visitor Center. The fires have burned 12,462 acres; however, officials say the fires are nearly 100 percent contained.

More than 1,150 total personnel were assigned to the fire, but many have already been released to fight other fires as the rest continue to maintain control

update

linky http://inciweb.org/incident/3229/

MOJAVE, Calif. -- The Jawbone fire has now been contained to 55 percent and there is no expected containment date.

The fire is burning in the Jawbone Recreation Area, which is approximately ten miles West of the Jawbone Visitor Center.

Fire crews worked all night on both the Jawbone and Rim fires, Kern County fire officials said.

The Jawbone fire is currently 55 percent contained at 905 acres and the Rim fire is 17 percent contained at 6,129 acres.

The Rim Fire made a run to the South Sunday during the period of erratic winds and thunderstorm activity.

Monday, three Blackhawk helicopters from the California Air National will continue to fly water-dropping and support missions on the fire, officials said.

Fire behavior today will continue to be influenced by thunderstorms that will develop through the area. There was confirmed loss to three windmills.

The Jawbone Complex will continue to put up large columns of smoke into the air especially in the afternoon hours as things heat up and residents who live down wind from the fire may see ash falling.

There are a number of isolated cabins and properties that are potentially in the path of the fire. As part of the ongoing planning process, contingencies for structure protection are being evaluated.

The fire is now burning into an area with no recorded fire history and the brush and trees are very receptive to the introduction of fire.

There is a soft closure of Jawbone Canyon Road, which is the access point to the Jawbone Recreational area that will continue for the next few days.

Weather continues to be warm with the potential of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Temperatures will remain over 95 degrees and humidity levels of 25% continue to make fire conditions and behavior very

let's hope for no more fires

Windrat screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 06:49 PM
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #218
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 984
Bob
we were just up there yesterday!
rode from jawbone to piutes over to cold spring etc to see what effect the fire had on the trails!
we saw nothing ! no fires, no smoke, no closures

sooo, lets ride!!!

we will see u guys in w few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat View Post
update

linky http://inciweb.org/incident/3229/

MOJAVE, Calif. -- The Jawbone fire has now been contained to 55 percent and there is no expected containment date.

The fire is burning in the Jawbone Recreation Area, which is approximately ten miles West of the Jawbone Visitor Center.

Fire crews worked all night on both the Jawbone and Rim fires, Kern County fire officials said.

The Jawbone fire is currently 55 percent contained at 905 acres and the Rim fire is 17 percent contained at 6,129 acres.

The Rim Fire made a run to the South Sunday during the period of erratic winds and thunderstorm activity.

Monday, three Blackhawk helicopters from the California Air National will continue to fly water-dropping and support missions on the fire, officials said.

Fire behavior today will continue to be influenced by thunderstorms that will develop through the area. There was confirmed loss to three windmills.

The Jawbone Complex will continue to put up large columns of smoke into the air especially in the afternoon hours as things heat up and residents who live down wind from the fire may see ash falling.

There are a number of isolated cabins and properties that are potentially in the path of the fire. As part of the ongoing planning process, contingencies for structure protection are being evaluated.

The fire is now burning into an area with no recorded fire history and the brush and trees are very receptive to the introduction of fire.

There is a soft closure of Jawbone Canyon Road, which is the access point to the Jawbone Recreational area that will continue for the next few days.

Weather continues to be warm with the potential of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Temperatures will remain over 95 degrees and humidity levels of 25% continue to make fire conditions and behavior very

let's hope for no more fires

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #219
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #220
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Laugh Slides fire

Quote:
that may put a kink in our fullmoon ride
lets hope it goes towards kennedy and not the green hill
No worrys Scott, the green hill is still green. See you FF's up there!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #221
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Bob
we were just up there yesterday!
rode from jawbone to piutes over to cold spring etc to see what effect the fire had on the trails!
we saw nothing ! no fires, no smoke, no closures

sooo, lets ride!!!

we will see u guys in w few weeks.

I've already packed the following:

Shitty attitude
Wire cutters
Five kegs
Three Asian strippers
A case of inner tubes

notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #222
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post

I've already packed the following:

Shitty attitude
Wire cutters
Five kegs
Three Asian strippers
A case of inner tubes

i told you i like black strippers. c'mon dude. rules are rules.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #223
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Verplank continued from post #191 part III

So here I was stuck on Verplank saddle for the night, no chance I was riding out in the dark, but I did give it a try before I realized i couldn't see shit. Anyhow I settled in for the night, it was hotter than hell even at 4000', but I guess it was better than freezing. Daytime temps were 106+ not much less at night.

I slept with my feet on an oak tree to keep from sliding down the hill, my riding vest was my ground cover and my backpack was my pillow. I took my last drink of water around 1930 and realized my 3 liter Camelback was empty, that sucks. there was NO water up there on the ridge....I was 15-20 miles from hwy 180 and Grant Grove and about the same from Mill Flat Campground down below on the Kings River...
I got up at first light and surveyed the trail in both directions to figure out which way to go. It did not look good to continue in the direction I was going so I turned the bike around and got it running, had to kick it cause the battery was dead. I made a run at the trail, from where I started it was steep and loose and about 100 yards up there was a big Buckeye tree with it's stump across the trail. I made it up and over it, but stalled the motor. While trying to restart the pig it rolled back and I was stuck again....on the low side of the stump.
Decision time, it was already hot at 0600, the bike (Krappy Trail Machine) (thanks Klammer) didn't want to start, I was OUT of water and it was going to be a long hike in either direction. At this point it was an easy decision, go towards water...Mill Flat Creek was just down the hill, I figured I could be there in a few hours, so off the mountain I went.
The descent was steep, rocky and brushy, that place is full of poison oak, too. There was no sign of a trail the way I went, x-country the whole way down to the creek. I made it to the creek around 0900 and found some water that looked ok if it wasn't for all the cow shit everywhere.
Once I'd made it to the creek I just followed it all the way out to Davis Rd which would take me to Mill flat Campground where I hoped to catch a ride from a friendly camper. I didn't take any more pictures to save the battery in my I-phone. Around 01100 I heard a helicopter coming right at me, Eagle One the Fresno County Sheriff's SAR bird flew almost right over me, not more than 100 yards away....but they didn't see me. That's when I knew that a search was on. Here's Eagle One as she flew over.

Back at Millwood, centered around my truck and Max, the search and rescue effort was ramping up......

I've never seen this many vehicles at Millwood, the place was packed.

One small problem, the search area was a 20 mile radius around the truck, I was outside of the search area...the rest of the world as they call it.

until this guy, my brother Jack, called JPaccassi on the satilite phone to see if I had posted up on ADV where I was riding on sunday and sure enough JP told him I had posted that I was planning on checking out the Verplank ridge single track!
With this new information the SAR teams headed out to Verplank..... more later...I told you this was a long story
next; rattlesnakes, bears, dope farms and cool people at the river....

pcvance screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 12:17 PM
pcvance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #224
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
.......rattlesnakes, bears, dope farms and cool people at the river....
Now we're talking!
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #225
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
man no teasers lol!!

MOHR!!!!

K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote