ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #2491
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,442
Email from Chris 6:15 this morning, if anybody can help out with this, PLEASE DO!!!!!!!!!

URGENT ALERT- Comments Needed to Prevent Future Proposed Road Closures
Dear Shawn
Our last Newsletter provided our members with information about a new road planning process and warned that it could reduce access to public lands. Well the Sequoia Forest Service announced a few days ago that the public has only until next Friday 9/20 to comment on their proposal of which roads they will be closing in future. Our immediate request to extend the comment period has been denied by the Forest Supervisor. It appears roads are missing on the maps which could mean they would be closed. We are looking for Stewards members who know the roads to look over the maps for Southern Sequoia, Northern Sequoia and Lake Isabella. Would you or someone you know be interested and capable of helping with this?

Here is what is needed-
  • Please use road numbers not just road names
  • Compare the closure maps called Risk maps to existing maps and let us know if any roads are missing in the new Risk Maps
  • See if any roads you think should stay open are shown in Red (Closure) on the Risk Maps
    • For extra credit you could also provide the reason why specific roads need to remain open (for example loop opportunity, scenic opportunity, camp site, fishing or hunting access, wood gathering, fire fighting access) Here is their comment form
    • For extra credit see if important roads are shown as Green on the Opportunity Maps
  • Please email me and let me know if you are willing to work on this
  • If you submit your own comment please email me a copy chris@StewardsOfTheSequoia.org
Here is the link to the Maps and information about the proposed Road Closures
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/landmanagement/planning/?cid=stelprdb5435007

NO MORE TRAIL CLOSURES Program

Stewards has been engaged in the Travel Management Process since 2004 and has successfully kept almost all roads and trails open. We will continue to be engaged. We are the lead stakeholder working to keep your roads and trails open in Sequoia. Donations to support our Trail Preservation Program are sorely needed and can be made here.
Chris Horgan
Executive Director
Stewards of the Sequoia
Division of CTUC 501c3
Old 09-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #2492
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,442
When you donate, you also get a REALLY COOL sticker for the scooter!

RIDE ON!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #2493
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
Email from Chris 6:15 this morning, if anybody can help out with this, PLEASE DO!!!!!!!!!

Dear Shawn
Our last Newsletter provided our members with information about a new road planning process and warned that it could reduce access to public lands. Well the Sequoia Forest Service announced a few days ago that the public has only until next Friday 9/20 to comment on their proposal of which roads they will be closing in future. Our immediate request to extend the comment period has been denied by the Forest Supervisor. It appears roads are missing on the maps which could mean they would be closed. We are looking for Stewards members who know the roads to look over the maps for Southern Sequoia, Northern Sequoia and Lake Isabella. Would you or someone you know be interested and capable of helping with this?

Here is what is needed-
  • Compare the closure maps called Risk maps to existing maps and let us know if any roads are missing in the new Risk Maps
  • See if any roads you think should stay open are shown in Red (Closure) on the Risk Maps
    • For extra credit you could also provide the reason why specific roads need to remain open (for example loop opportunity, scenic opportunity, camp site, fishing or hunting access, wood gathering, fire fighting access) Here is their comment form
    • For extra credit see if important roads are shown as Green on the Opportunity Maps
  • If you submit your own comment please email me a copy chris@StewardsOfTheSequoia.org
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/landmanagement/planning/?cid=stelprdb5435007

Stewards has been engaged in the Travel Management Process since 2004 and has successfully kept almost all roads and trails open. We will continue to be engaged. We are the lead stakeholder working to keep your roads and trails open in Sequoia. Donations to support our Trail Preservation Program are sorely needed and can be made here.
Chris Horgan
Executive Director
Stewards of the Sequoia
Division of CTUC 501c3
I was JUST going to post this. good job Seano.

lets voice our opinion people.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #2494
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,563
Thumb It's easy, just do it.

I just renewed my SOS membership. it's a tax deductible donation.

No more trail closures!

Thanks Chris & Co. keep up the good work!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #2495
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,366
p-eautiful weekend coming up
anyone riding
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #2496
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
anyone riding
No riding until September 27-29.....it's all closed.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #2497
junglemototours
trailplug

good, gotta keep the kooks out.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #2498
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
good, gotta keep the kooks out.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #2499
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,831
Cool2

Quote:
anyone riding
I'm up for a day trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #2500
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post

Dear Shawn

Here is what is needed-

Chris Horgan
Executive Director
Stewards of the Sequoia
Division of CTUC 501c3
Well since you guys ride up there all the time, I would agree to what you guys think should stay open.
Or does the government want 50,000 pieces of paper to sift through , 1 from every pupil stating all the same thing?
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #2501
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Limits View Post
Well since you guys ride up there all the time, I would agree to what you guys think should stay open.
Or does the government want 50,000 pieces of paper to sift through , 1 from every pupil stating all the same thing?
Yes this is what they want

this is suppose to be a democracy the more we want it and the less opposed, then WE get it. get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #2502
junglemototours
trailplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post
Yes this is what they want

....................................... WE get it. get it?

Gobbleygook translation courtesy of BDM over on tt, cut and paste version;

Posted Today, 09:36 AM

Yeah, it can be hard to understand the process and documents but this one is not so bad, stick with me here.

On the Sequoia TAP page I linked (and is linked from the Sequoia homepage) you will see 3 types of maps listed for each of 3 areas;

Road Benefits map
Road Risks map
Road Opportunities map

and the areas are;

Northern Sequoia
Southern Sequoia
Lake Isabella

Each map uses 3 colors to show the FS's analysis of the roads and they are fairly intuitive;

Green is good
Yellow is fair
Red is bad

In the case bobc1 has pointed out, the Sherman Pass Rd (22S05, access to KM) is;

Shown in red on the "Risk" map
Shown in yellow on the "Opportunities" map
Shown in green on the "Benefits" map

The same is true for Rancharia Rd (25S15) in the Greenhorn area. Now you have the information needed to write a comment however if you want to look a little deeper it gets just a tick harder. In order to see what contributed to a road's scoring you need to look at the PDF of the analysis spreadsheet (http://www.fs.usda.g...prdb5435223.pdf) found on the same FS TAP page, which lists all the component scores for each road. You might need a better PDF viewer then Adobe Reader 10 or 11 (see P.S. below).

This is not as hard as it sounds, open 1 or more of the maps and the spreadsheet and do a PDF document search for the road number in the spreadsheet and you can review what scores contributed to the roads color. For both Sherman and Rancharia the "Aquatic Composite" (think runoff & erosion) number is quite high. A lot goes into this and never say never but I highly doubt either Sherman (44 miles) or Rancharia (15 miles) are going anywhere. I think green roads on the "Benefits" map are pretty safe, the yellow less so and the red will likely be a problem (unless said road is green on both the "Risk" & "Opportunities" map).

So open the "Benefits" map and if you see a road you care about or think is important that is red or yellow fill out a the comment form and email it.

Bruce

P.S. Adobe Reader 9+ sucks nickles - inflexible, bloated (480mb!) and flat chokes on bigger files, I am very happy with "PDFXCHANGE VIEWER" downloaded directly from the Tracker Software homepage. Yes it's free!

Edited by BDM, Today, 10:03 AM.

Linkie; http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/104...#entry11046947
Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #2503
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
I'm up for a day trip.
But he said no kooks.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #2504
junglemototours
trailplug

Quote:
I'm up for a day trip.
Is that your final offer?
Hoping to make a 2 day trip out of it, have to work the next two wkends after this
Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #2505
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,525
you won't wanna ride up there this weekend........

http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...arrals2013.pdf
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote