ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #241
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
Thanks. Condition's improving. When I'm back in one piece, I'll be up for Ortega after it cools down.
Terry, you took quite a roll down the mountain that day, you a one tough dude to ride out with broken ribs...I call that place on the trail carnage corner now. That cedar log is all that stopped the bike from coming down on top of you.

Fubars rolled at least 20' down here...You can't tell from the pic, but it's STEEP!
Glad to hear you are recovering Terry.
Perry

pcvance screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 04:40 PM
pcvance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #242
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,712
Thanks, Perry. The injury sucked, but I still enjoyed it up there. You guys have fun tomorrow. Say hi to Max for me.

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #243
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
Thanks, Perry. The injury sucked, but I still enjoyed it up there. You guys have fun tomorrow. Say hi to Max for me.

Terry, Cool pic of Max! is that a candy bribe he's taking...

pcvance screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 01:42 PM
Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #244
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Thumb Verplank part IV the finale...continued from post#223

Did I mention this place is rugged? Verplank is in the
Kings River Special Managment Area/Giant Sequoia National Monument
This is the view from Verplank Ridge.

The pic below shows the upper Mill Flat Creek drainage. (RH side of pic)

this trail will trick you, it's nice and easy going in at the top...

until you get to the saddle, down a few miles.

Here's the map again for reference, my walk out was between Verplank Saddle and Mill Flat campground on the Kings river, it took 13 hours.Ridge to creek to road.....

Ok, in part III I left off where I was rock hopping my way down the creek toward the road 12S01, it was slow going and I had about 10 miles of this to get through. It was a scorching hot day and I was glad I had the creek to cool off in, the water temp was perfect and at one point I stopped to get in. I knew I had to keep moving if I was going to get out before dark, so back to it I went. As I was walking along the creek I spotted a big ol' rattlesnake getting a drink from the creek, it paid no attention to me so I just walked on by. A short while later on one of my cooling stops on a large pool, I was dunking my head and when I looked up there was a black bear at the other end of the pool doing the same, cooling off in the creek.
The bear was standing in knee deep water and didn't see me at first, I went to grab my camera and kicked a rock, the bear heard this, looked right at me then took off up the hill. Bummed I didn't get a picture of this close encounter. Shortly after the bear encounter I noticed the creek had a maze of black poly irrigation tubing, hmmm, dope growers I thought to myself. This stuff was every where down in the creek, i started to look around to make sure no one else was there. Lucky for me it looked like there were no fresh plantings there this year. Later when I met up with the sheriffs he asked me about bears and pot farms...he went on to say that it is a bear sanctuary up there and that the Mexican drug cartels have used the area a lot in past years. More rock hopping etc. and I finally made it to Crabtree, I knew this place because I'd been there earlier in the spring with Rearsteer on a ride to check these trails out from the bottom.

Here's Rearsteer at the "hole" on Crabtree trail, where his rear tire is sitting drops off 10 feet into a big hole. this is definitly one of Crabtree's tough spots. That big black oak that fell needs to be cleared to open up the trail in that spot. Chainsaw anyone?

Mill Flat Creek 4-28-2012, was like a small river then, it was almost dried up when I came through on August 13th.

The grass was a lot greener back then, too.

This is a nice piece of single track below Verplank

Scott scouting the trail ahead

I've added these pics from an eariler ride to show what it is like around Crabtree and Davis Flat.

Back to the story, I followed Crabtree trail out to Davis road, now I'm just a few miles from Mill Flat campground. I made it to the road around 1700, giving me a couple of hours to get there before dark. The road felt like a freeway after all those miles of boulder hopping in the creek.
When I finally made it to Mill Flat @ around 1900, there was just one vehicle parked there, not far was a tent and camp set up, then I saw someone coming out of the tent, his name was Rob, super nice guy! He and his wife and baby had been camped there for over two weeks. I told him how I'd hiked all day to get off the mountain and asked him for some water and a ride back to my truck. He handed me a Sawyer water bottle and said he would take me to my truck, but needed some time to get ready to roll. While they were getting ready I walked down to the Kings, stripped down and layed down in the water.... it was soooo refreshing.the best part was getting out of those boots!

The Kings river near Mill Flat
Drank and soaked...drank and soaked a much needed bath in the river.
Once they were ready we started the long drive around Pine Flat lake, it was sixty miles to the Valero station up on Hwy 180 where I would fill up Rob's van.

Meanwhile... up on Verplank Saddle, a team of Fresno County Sheriff's SAR guys, eight of them I was later told, found my motorcycle leaning up against a tree on the trail, this happened around 8:00PM, great work, they found the bike in only 10 hours. The problem now, I was still missing. I'm sure at this point they were thinking that I'd gone down the mountain toward the creek.

While enroute on the backside of Pine Flat my cell phone blew up with messages when we hit the spot that gets a signal. It was about 8:30PM when Rob stopped the van so I could finally get a call out to let everyone know I was okay, the call was to my wife but was cut short due to a poor signal, but at least they knew I was safe. Until now I had no idea how big the search had become and it was ramping up to become even bigger on Tuesday the 14th. We drove on for quite a few miles before my phone rang, I answered and it was the search commander on a sat phone, he wanted to make sure they had the right guy, I assured him they did,and at that point he put his crews on standby until they saw me in person and I showed them ID. We planned to meet at the Valero station in the next 30-45 minutes.
We pulled into the gas station at the same time as the sheriffs, I got out of the van to show them my ID. They also took a statement from Rob about how he had met me at the river campground. I filled up Rob's van, thanked him and his wife for the're help and said goodbye, the sheriff would take me the rest of the way back to Millwood where the rescue team was waiting for me. The search commander asked me some questions for his report and that was it....

AND NOW YOU KNOW.... THE REST OF THE STORY
Except I forgot about the moto recovery mission... Part V next...will this story ever end?

..here's some more popcorn for ya

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOU'RE HELP AND SUPPORT!

THE FRESNO CO. SHERIFFS SEARCH AND RESCUE PEOPLE ARE AWESOME

pcvance screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 07:44 PM
Old 09-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #245
Klammer
Old and Grumpy

Oddometer: 2,293
Cool2

Perry, you must be poison oak tolerant. I'm itchy just looking at those pictures!
Save $5.00 on SmugMug (coupon vJQj53lXRtVfs) http://smugmug.com/
Klammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #246
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klammer View Post
Perry, you must be poison oak tolerant. I'm itchy just looking at those pictures!
Yeah Rich, that entire mountain is infested with the stuff, I got it really bad as a teenager in Three Rivers, I've avoided it all my life, but it seems like I am tolerant now. I was crawling through it to get out of there, no rash or anything.

pcvance screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 07:47 PM
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #247
up in smoke
RIDE

Oddometer: 59
Verplank

Hey Parry, is this yours?
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...08098957_o.jpg
Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #248
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by up in smoke View Post
Use ['img]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/133927_468472669840630_2008098957_o.jpg['/img] without the '

To git this:
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #249
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 956
this weekends report

kap and myself went up to check out more of those bitchin trails!
saturday we rode portuguese pass and some more in that area!
portuguese pass has had some recent work on it by the great trail machine, parts of it has been widened / brush cut and supercross height waterbars !!!!! BOOOOOOOO this really fucked up parts of the trail, it is VERY dusty in parts-like talcom powder, plus the cattle have been using the trail and that churned it up even more!
we had a nice lunch on the patio of frog meadow station, toured the cabin as it was open for repairs! very nice-has hot/cold water/ beds/ etc- everything except tv!!!
then it was down tobias and onto bull run from there to the grill for a pitcher, then down just outstanding back to town!
sunday we took the MDR to what we thought was the PM trail, rode it thru bitchin tall trees/ ferns/ oak etc, # end followed MDR till we spotted someone- turns out we were 20 miles in the wrong direction, so we backtracked abit till we again hit pavement-lost?? so we backtracked the trail we rode down and finished out day early !

i was told by a local there is brown trout that can only be found in this stream!

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails

HAPPYTRAILSINC screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 11:12 AM
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #250
Pucker
This is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC View Post
kap and myself went up to check out more of those bitchin trails!
portuguese pass has had some recent work on it by the great trail machine, parts of it has been widened / brush cut and supercross height waterbars !!!!! BOOOOOOOO this really fucked up parts of the trail, it is VERY dusty in parts-like talcom powder, plus the cattle have been using the trail and that churned it up even more!
we had a nice lunch on the patio of frog meadow station, toured the cabin as it was open for repairs! very nice-has hot/cold water/ beds/ etc- everything except tv!!!
then it was down tobias and onto bull run from there to the grill for a pitcher, then down just outstanding back to town!
subday we took the rd to what we thought was the pm trail, rode it thru bitchin tall trees/ ferns/ oak etc, followed MDR till we spotted someone- turns out we were 20 miles in the wrong direction, so we backtracked abit till we again hit pavement-lost?? so we backtracked the trail we rode down and finished out day early !
Looks like a great trip - too bad they easied-up the trail - how were the temps?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #251
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
Looks like a great trip - too bad they easied-up the trail - how were the temps?
i dont think they made the trail any easier at all. especially not for the MB guys, imagine trying to pedal thru 3-4 inches of silt! uphill, then go over 3' peaked water bars blinded by the dust!

temps:
it was 100+ in kernville and mid 80's on top!!!
luckly we stayed @ a place with a cool pool to jump in afterwards!

bring on the rain

@ the end of month is a rock/blues fest going onin the park down by the river!

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #252
Pucker
This is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC View Post
i dont think they made the trail any easier at all. especially not for the MB guys, imagine trying to pedal thru 3-4 inches of silt! uphill, then go over 3' peaked water bars blinded by the dust!

temps:
it was 100+ in kernville and mid 80's on top!!!
luckly we stayed @ a place with a cool pool to jump in afterwards!

bring on the rain

@ the end of month is a rock/blues fest going onin the park down by the river!
Oh, I thought you said they widened the trail, cut the brush back, & started serving water at the bar - my bad.
The silt problem sounds like KM - were there whoops to match?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #253
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Talking Wtf, happytrails lost?

[QUOTE=HAPPYTRAILSINC;19613207]kap and myself went up to check out more of those bitchin trails!
sunday we took the MDR to what we thought was the PM trail, rode it thru bitchin tall trees/ ferns/ oak etc, # end followed MDR till we spotted someone- turns out we were 20 miles in the wrong direction, so we backtracked abit till we again hit pavement-LOST??? so we backtracked the trail we rode down and finished out day early !QUOTE

Happytrails lost? I should have been there to lead the way, LOL
yeah, BRCB Bull Run Creek Browns, found only in bull run basin...
Perry

i was told by a local there is brown trout that can only be found in this stream!

pcvance screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 07:01 PM
Old 09-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #254
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,181
Untrue... Just released a brown trout in an la basin....

Looks like great riding
Old 09-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #255
Kap
Single Track Scalpel

Oddometer: 337
Yes it's true Happy Trails was lost. At one point we were still up around 6K feet and could see Bakersfield. I told him we were heading the wrong way. First time ever that I was right. We were checking the map and a shot gun blast right around the corner scared the shit outta me. Just Outstanding after a pitcher, fawgettaboutit. Awesome!!,