ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #586
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
Good thing you had your photographer along;

This pic is awesome. Because another two feet over to the left and the bike would've been in the river about 200-250 feet below. Maybe with me on it. Cliff trail..
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #587
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,584
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
This pic is awesome. Because another two feet over to the left and the bike would've been in the river about 200-250 feet below. Maybe with me on it. Cliff trail..
And you're a lucky dog... Those trails do have pucker factor.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #588
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,527
amazing weekend again as always.

a big thank you to Scott and John for the invite and tour guide. now where did i stash all that rain gear?

pics and vids (kind of) soon.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #589
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
And you're a lucky dog... Those trails do have pucker factor.
Yep. Lucky we weren't riding that shit yesterday in the rain. We all would've been in the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
amazing weekend again as always.

a big thank you to Scott and John for the invite and tour guide.
+100
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #590
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 943
hey guys thanks for coming and making it an epic weekend!
i think that was the most slippery snot i have ridden in a Long time!
did not get any pics on sunday due to the constant rain!
some peeps have coffee for breakfast others go anouther route
"the banned brothers" freedom ride II

BBBBBRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

this is where the trail starts to get sketchy

party in the forest

kap and the grinch!

***Tuned for a broad power band with the torque curve set just under the wheel spin threshold!*****
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #591
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Easy one actually, there's nothing to save....
That's what makes it fun.

My Jeep club is yet to come up with that situation on our adopted road in the San Bernardino NF, in the six or eight years we've had the club we've only had one report of somebody over the edge and it ended up being false.

An amusing one I picked up from a recent AAT meeting. Awhile back the FS and a club in the AAT program recovered a stolen Chevrolet Silverado off a trail. While winching it they saw it was dragging something. Wrapped around the rear axle and trailing behind was about 3,000 feet of irrigation hose, that was not likely used for legal purposes. After spending quite a bit of time winching it back on to the trail and cobbling it into driving order they left it at a turn out for the CHP to come fetch. The CHP called the USFS guy saying "Okay, where's the car?" Yup, damn truck got re-stolen.

I asked Greg if they've hat to recover it again but they haven't foudn it yet.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #592
pcvance OP
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC View Post
hey guys thanks for coming and making it an epic weekend!
i think that was the most slippery snot i have ridden in a Long time!
did not get any pics on sunday due to the constant rain!
some peeps have coffee for breakfast others go anouther route
"the banned brothers" freedom ride II
BBBBBRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
]
I'm glad to see you misfits had fun!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #593
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

when we rolled up on this car over the edge, we were freaked. we honestly thought there was a dead person(s) in that car.
the lady that was stopped directing traffic, was visibly shaken, then we said, "is there anyone in that car?" then this teenage kid gets up out of her truck's passenger seat and he said "that's me"

i asked if he was okay, he said yes. quite shaken up. a cut on his hand. that's it.

this kid is one lucky muthafucker.

i wish i would have panned out and got a shot of how far he flew.

he had to have been doing 50-60mph when he flew off the highway. he easily flew 500 feet. probably further. over a tree. side panel of his car on the dirt mound where he launched.
he had to exit the hatchback because, as you can imagine, the doors were jammed.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #594
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
when we rolled up on this car over the edge, we were freaked. we honestly thought there was a dead person(s) in that car.
the lady that was stopped directing traffic, was visibly shaken, then we said, "is there anyone in that car?" then this teenage kid gets up out of her truck's passenger seat and he said "that's me"

i asked if he was okay, he said yes. quite shaken up. a cut on his hand. that's it.

he had to have been doing 50-60mph when he flew off the highway. he easily flew 500 feet. probably further. over a tree. side panel of his car on the dirt mound where he launched.
he had to exit the hatchback because, as you can imagine, the doors were jammed.

must have slipped on the snotty mud

***Tuned for a broad power band with the torque curve set just under the wheel spin threshold!*****
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #595
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 986
I'd like to have a sat phone one day but I'm a cheap bastard (see bike choice).

I do know that you can generally hit the Bakersfield two meter repeater from 178. You can probably hit it from a 5W handheld but I haven't tried.

Ultimately (when I get around to it) I plan to put a linear amp in the tail box of the KLR so I can step my 5W handheld up to 50 or so. It'll be a bit of weight but my pig is already nearly 400 pounds and I ride like a pussy. I like to have a good radio for these types of situations (Got into the ham radio for this purpose while Jeeping, I hardly ever use the radio in civilization).
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #596
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:

How was the traffic jam? We barely squeaked by in time, stopped to make sure all were ok and got past before the chp, fire trucks, paramedics, ambulances and sherriffs all came flying up the cyn....no other traffic until OC
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #597
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:

That kid was lucky, the girl on the road was crying trying to make a call people in front of me went to call box down the road.
You two must of called everyone but the national guard, when I got out of the canyon it was a steady stream of Search and rescue, CHP, Sherif, Rangers, Fire trucks, EMT. I didn't see a tow truck
To bad he didn't have a go pro.
Hope he has good insurance.

Quote:
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #598
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
How was the traffic jam? We barely squeaked by in time, stopped to make sure all were ok and got past before the chp, fire trucks, paramedics, ambulances and sherriffs all came flying up the cyn....no other traffic until OC
There was no traffic jam when we arrived. Just the two cars pulled over that saw it happen.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #599
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post
You two must of called everyone but the national guard, when I got out of the canyon it was a steady stream of Search and rescue, CHP, Sherif, Rangers, Fire trucks, EMT.
Nope, just 911. But here's the funny thing. Sat Phones are great for occasions such as this. But 911 does not have programming for positioning when someone calls in on a Sat phone. So unlike a cell phone where they can see where you are even if you don't know, with a Sat phone you have to be able to give them your lat/long position. So luckily we also had GPS's with us. However, I just told them to drive up the canyon and they'll find it.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #600
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:

we split once the cops showed up. nothin more to see. Rob isn't getting coal in his Xmas stocking this year.