ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #121
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoageallen View Post
Wow! That was absolutely insane! We just got back from
Getting Perry's bike. That trail goes strait down a ridge and does not have any rest areas or turn arounds. This is nothing but a goat trail and I would not recommend riding this trail. Wow Perry! You are the man! Kevin and I thought that we may not get out either.
\

was doing research on this trail, seems u are not the 1st to get stuck down there!!!

from TT:
2006/2007
No, nobody has ridden that trail lately!
Even though the trail appears on the Sequoia NF OHV map (from 2003), it has not existed for many years. The district ranger office which hands out these free maps used to hand stamp that portion of the map with "area closed", but I'm not sure they do that anymore.

Each season, people try to find the trail, often resulting in search and rescue crews being called out. Last summer, a father/son abandon their bikes in the forest after losing the trail and not being able to ride out (it's kind of steep in places), then they tried to walk out. They were found okay the next day. I've spoken to several riders who have gotten into tight situations in search of the trail. I myself got stuck doing the same thing - I got out but it took me til 9 at night.

see more here:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/487...k-trail-27e03/

***Tuned for a broad power band with the torque curve set just under the wheel spin threshold!*****

HAPPYTRAILSINC screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 09:54 AM
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #122
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,307
now i want to go ride this trail!

who's IN?
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #123
pcvance OP
Masters Paint & Body

Oddometer: 4,060
Laugh Welcome to ADV!

Quote:
Wow! That was absolutely insane! We just got back from
Getting Perry's bike. That trail goes strait down a ridge and does not have any rest areas or turn arounds. This is nothing but a goat trail and I would not recommend riding this trail. Wow Perry! You are the man! Kevin and I thought that we may not get out either.
yoageallen,

Nice first 2 posts, you and Kevin are the men, I know it was a mofo retrieving that bike on the trail from hell!
I can't say thank you enough to you and everyone who helped to make sure I made it out of there.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #124
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Thanks for all the offers on the bike recovery but my bike was recovered this afternoon by my good friends and riding buddies Kevin & Adrian! You guys are awesome & obviously better riders than me!!

My wife, son, & daughter also wanted me to thank all of you for your concerns and quick responses to come and aid in the search for me.

Pictures & ride/hike report will soon follow! I actually hiked more miles than I rode this time...
Glad to hear a happy ending perry, im sure the wife says NO more solo rides.

RIDE ON!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #125
slowerthanu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
that trail is not officially closed,it is just plain unrideable,it could be cleared and used again it would just take a lot of volunteer hours.
husaberg fe570 plated
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #126
yoageallen
n00b

Oddometer: 6
We had to take a hand saw and clear many branches and overgrowth. I wonder where this trail is supposed to go?
yoageallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #127
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerthanu View Post
that trail is not officially closed,it is just plain unrideable,it could be cleared and used again it would just take a lot of volunteer hours.
Sounds fun.
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #128
yoageallen
n00b

Puke

Its unused for a reason. If it was clean it would still be a torturous trail. If you like to walk into a bar and pick a fight with the biggest guy. This trail has your name on it. Once you commit, there is no other way to get out. Your in it for the haul.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #129
berolina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I'm in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
now i want to go ride this trail!

who's IN?
berolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #130
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by berolina View Post
I'm in!
Affirmative
notmybikemodelname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #131
pcvance OP
Masters Paint & Body

Oddometer: 4,060
Question 27E03 Verplank trail

Quote:
We had to take a hand saw and clear many branches and overgrowth. I wonder where this trail is supposed to go?
At one time, it went from Verplank ridge @(6000') all the way down to the Kings river and along the river bank to Mill Flat, according to the USFS map dated 2003. The new map has deleted the trail...Monday when I walked out that way, there was no trail I could see, I lost track of it on the ridge around Verplank Saddle. It took me 13 hours to hike out about 20 miles To Mill Flat campground on the Kings river.

pcvance screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 10:22 AM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #132
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,307
Quote:
At one time, it went from Verplank ridge @(6000') all the way down to the Kings river and along the river bank to Mill Flat, according to the USFS map dated 2003. The new map has deleted the trail...Monday when I walked out that way, there was no trail I could see, I lost track of it on the ridge around Verplank Saddle.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #133
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
At one time, it went from Verplank ridge @(6000') all the way down to the Kings river and along the river bank to Mill Flat, according to the USFS map dated 2003. The new map has deleted the trail...Monday when I walked out that way, there was no trail I could see, I lost track of it on the ridge around Verplank Saddle. It took me 13 hours to hike out about 20 miles To Mill Flat campground on the Kings river.
Can't wait to hear the FULL story & pics if any where taken, once again glad your safe & sound. Im sure many things repeating in your mind over & over again looking back

RIDE ON!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #134
tuff enuff
Imported Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
So glad to hear you are OK, Perry.
Any details on the bike recovery?
I have a 1978 Sequoia NF map which shows 27E03 as an infrequently maintained trail, so the FS practically abandoned that trail 30 years ago.
Made me think long and hard about riding alone. There are quite a few of us with major metal in our bones who would not be able to hike out 20 miles.
tuff enuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #135
yoageallen
n00b

Well, the good news is that if you wanted to experience verplank ridge. We did trim a lot of it to get back out. Just don't be surprised to be challenged for sure. This trail is not for the faint of heart. Expect to turn back at the edge of the ridge.