User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #61
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Day 14 – Sunday, June 17th - Last day on the road

I awoke fairly cold this morning. It wasn’t as cold as I had experienced on the northern peninsula in Newfoundland, but it was still quite chilly. The tent was soaking wet outside due to the morning condensation. Looks like I would be putting away a wet tent once again. I had set my alarm to wake up at 4:00am, but I turned it off and didn’t wake up until 6:30. I had a long day ahead of me and didn’t want to leave exhausted. I had a bite to eat, made a cup of coffee, and packed my gear back up.

Super-slabbing it through New Brunswick is about as boring as it gets. The scenery is all the same and it’s mostly long straight lines. As a result, I would often glance down at my speedometer and see that I was well over the posted speed limit. The speed limit through there was 110 kph and I was keeping a steady pace of about 150-160 kph as indicated (so 10% lower in reality). I would look at my speedometer and slow it down only to be back up there by the next time I checked. Although I didn’t mean to keep speeding, I was making great time this way. Besides, I hadn’t seen any cops pulling speed traps the entire time I’d been in Canada…

Okay, I guess they do sometimes target speeders in Canada!

About a half an hour from the border, I saw a cop car in the median. I hit my brakes since I knew I was probably speeding… But it was too late. His lights came on and he started pulling out before I even made it to him. I pulled over, shut off my engine, and waited for him to come over to talk to me. He said he clocked me going 143 in a 110. He told me it was a $300 fine. I mentioned my wife being a cop back in the states (she really is) and how my budget was pretty thin as it was. I couldn’t talk him out of a ticket, but he said he would lower it to $172.50. I sure didn’t want to include that into my budget, but it’s better than it could have been (or maybe he tells that to everyone he gives a ticket to in order to soften the blow, who knows). This was my first speeding ticket in 7 years, so not too shabby I guess.

He told me they’ll give a motorist 10kph over every time and most will give twenty over. I then got back on the road going ten over the speed limit. He really cramped my style big time!

Soon enough I made it to the border. Coming back home to the US it took me about five minutes of waiting in line, then 30 seconds to make it through the border check. Easy peasy.

I continued making good time through Maine. I stopped near Bangor to call my wife and kids (it was Father’s Day after all) and then talked to my folks quickly. I was then back on the road and getting ready to enter the hellhole of traffic congestion known as Portland, ME to Hartford, CT. Although the traffic was miserable, we were all moving at a good pace and I was actually making good time. I was stretching rest stops out to about once every 150 miles. However, I would then take about twenty minutes to fill the tank and stretch my legs.

Pee break in Connecticut.

I had been planning to stop at the Pennsylvania border and use my tripod to take a picture of me standing on my bike with my arms in the air in front of the ‘welcome to’ sign to post in my ride report. However, I had forgotten that the sign was on a bridge with no shoulder… so scratch that idea.

I stopped in at a rest area about an hour from home. While there, I noticed that the picnic tables were chained to a cement slab… What a difference between worrying about a large picnic table being stolen back home to the friendly people of Newfoundland that will take complete strangers into their homes. Those reading this from ridetherock will probably get a kick out of this picture:

The last stop I made before getting home was in Newfoundland… Newfoundland, PA, that is.

I arrived home just after 9pm. My wife was at a work party and my kids were still at their mom’s house. Fine with me… I got to relax without recounting my trip this night.

I was tired and didn't put much effort into getting the picture right, so this is all I've got for the picture of arriving home.

I got home and was attacked my overly excited bulldog. He wouldn’t let me do anything but pet him for a long time. However, I had no beer at home and I was in dire need of a frosty cold one, so I made some room in my dry bag for a case and headed to the distributor. On the way, I decided to stop by a local pizza place and get a large pizza to go. I asked them to put it into a few smaller boxes so that I could get it home on the bike (thanks Jo and Sandy for that idea!). I sat back and relaxed while downing the entire large pizza and a few beers… Life is good.

Her dirty, broken, smiling face after a long trip.

Total mileage for the day: 843 miles

Route for day 14:

Route for the entire trip (mostly):

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #62
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,552
Cabot Trail

I think I would like to do the Cabot Trail for the scenery alone. I sent for NS travel info...if not this year then next.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #63
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

For those interested in the numbers, I'll post up my tight budget. I was very anal about writing down every cent I spent, the amount of gas used, and the mileage along the way.

I had budgeted $1320 for the trip. This included an estimate of 6,000 miles with gas at $5/gallon (since Canada's gas was more expensive and this gave me a bit of leeway) and me getting 50 mpg, $10 per day each for food, lodging, and entertainment, $300 total in tolls and ferries, and $0 per day for speeding tickets.

I was way under in lodging and tolls, a bit under for gas, a bit over for food, and way over for entertainment, and way over for tickets (ha!). My 'entertainment' category should have really been labeled 'miscellaneous,' since I included anything that wasn't gas, food, lodging, or tolls in that category.

I would have been under-budget for the trip if it had not been for the speeding ticket. However, even with that ticket, my total trip cost was $1,331.87 and I had budgeted for $1,320... So I was pretty pleased in that regard.

Other numbers:
Total distance: 5,420 miles (8723 km)
Longest daily distance: 843 miles (1357 km)
Shortest daily distance: 110 miles (177 km)
Average daily distance: 387 miles (623 km)

Best daily gas mileage: 59.8 mpg
Worst daily gas mileage: 47.4 mpg
Best tank gas mileage: 59.9 mpg
Worst tank gas mileage: 41.6 mpg
Average trip gas mileage: 52.1 mpg

Most miles traveled between fill-up: 224.2 miles (360.4 km)
Least miles traveled between fill-up: 49.0 miles (78.8 km)
Average miles traveled between fill-up: 146.5 miles (235.5 km)
Most gas used between fill-up: 4.68 gallons (17.71 L)
Least gas used between fill-up: 0.84 gallons (3.16 L)
Average gas used between fill-up:2.89 gallons (10.94 L)
Total number of fill-ups: 35
Total gas used: 104.1 gallons (393.5 L)

Most expensive fuel: $5.18/gal ($1.37/L)
Least expensive fuel: $3.28/gal ($0.87/L)
Average price of fuel: $4.61/gal ($1.22/L)

Average daily food cost: $12.18
Average daily lodging cost: $2.67
Average daily entertainment cost: $18.78
Average daily fuel cost: $34.29
Average daily toll cost: $14.89
Average daily speeding ticket cost: $12.32

Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #64
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
I think I would like to do the Cabot Trail for the scenery alone. I sent for NS travel info...if not this year then next.
It really is worth it for the scenery alone. I may have inadvertently painted a poor picture of the Cabot trail. It really is a great road and would make a good vacation in and of itself. I just had it pictured as something it was not, so I ended up being a bit disappointed.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #65
Paul J Statham
Sign Maker

Oddometer: 33
Cabot Trail

Max
We have been to NFD twice once on a cross Canada Trip the other time on a Lab Trail Trip. We did the Cabot trail on the way home from NFD, on the cross Canada trip. I am sure we would have been quite impressed with the Cabot Trail had we not just been to NFD. But like you I did not think it lived up to its hype. Very nice ,but not as nice as NFD.
We the people of Canada thank you for coming and spending time here. I have enjoyed many as great time in your fine country also. We are planing on doing so this year on a BRP tour.
Thanks for the great ride report
Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #66
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Great ride report. I really like your travel style. Thrifty, covering a lot of miles, but managing to see interesting things.

It seems you were really lucky to hook up with Murph. Meeting, talking with, staying with locals is one of the joys of travel, if you`re at all sociable. I always think that a place is people, so it`s great to really get to know the people.

Thanks.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #67
Rodsbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Thanks for a great RR Max. You have shown that a great deal can be accomplished with a little. I really do enjoy your writing style. You put me right there. Would do my nut to spend a day with Morph and Gi Jane. And thanks for doing your bit as US Military to keep the world a better place
Rodsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #68
Dirt Freeak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Nice write up.

You are right up 115 from me, I'm in Effort.

I don't know the particulars of your tent choice, but you might consider a smaller tent to help offset the cold nights.

Less space to heat means a warmer camper.
Dirt Freeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #69
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
No need for a left nut...just show up. We are always delighted to show off to "Come from aways".
I did the Cabot Trail last month while returning from Ottawa when i picked up that old parts bike. I did the twisties over and over untill i got exhausted. The tourist taking pics at the look-off must have thought i was lost. Went and layed down in the bushes at the end of the road in Dingwall while watching the lobsterman haul pots and had a dandy nap.
Enjoyed your report and pics and you are welcome back anytime.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #70
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Max384....

Wonderful report and soo detailed, it's regarded as one of the best detailed cost analysis report I've seen.

I just wish I got to you earlier reading your report....because you went so far south on the Eastern Atlantic side of Newfoundland you could have gone to "France"...the Islands of Pierre and St. Miquelon are still the only French possesion in North America...; they use the Euro and of course speak French and drive French cars...cool...just an hours boat ride from Fortune, NFLD. There you could have mingled with the Franco's and enjoy some gastronomically delighted meals...wooo. But you might be better if ya speak some French... Maybe next time

cheers....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #71
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Great trip and a wonderful report!
Robert Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #72
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,952
Awesome report!
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post

That scene is all too familiar.

As you get close to the border in NB ya gotta watch yer speed...or so I've been told.

Never had so much fun getting a ticket before.

Thanks for taking the time to post up a RR.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #73
3MOR
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #74
explorit
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I have been wanting to do a north-eastern tour (my brother lives in Rochester, NY) although I never thought to ride up to Newfoundland. Looks like an incredible ride and an area I'll now check out on my NE ride! Thanks for the detailed report and letting us share your adventure.
explorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #75
Fordfixer
Semi Old Fart

Oddometer: 33
From St Stephen N.B. to Saint John N.B. the RCMP are always on the job.Good thing you were not caught in a construction zone.There has been fines levied over $1000 for extreme speeding/stupidity/etc

As stated you can generally run 10 klicks over most of the time unless you meet up with a recent graduate from RCMP basic trainig.
Fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote