Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #76
lilrascal55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
great report I went there a couple years ago the end of may first of june. It was the coldest i have ever been on a trip. had a great time but stayed cold and wet the whole time.
lilrascal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #77
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Statham View Post
Max
We have been to NFD twice once on a cross Canada Trip the other time on a Lab Trail Trip. We did the Cabot trail on the way home from NFD, on the cross Canada trip. I am sure we would have been quite impressed with the Cabot Trail had we not just been to NFD. But like you I did not think it lived up to its hype. Very nice ,but not as nice as NFD.
We the people of Canada thank you for coming and spending time here. I have enjoyed many as great time in your fine country also. We are planing on doing so this year on a BRP tour.
Thanks for the great ride report
Yeah, the high expectations kinda killed it for me, but it really is a killer road.

I like traveling to Canada (other than your high cost of booze and gas!). I am planning on going to Radisson, Quebec sometime later this summer. I will make it probably a three day trip, maybe four depending on how I feel when I'm there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post
Great ride report. I really like your travel style. Thrifty, covering a lot of miles, but managing to see interesting things.

It seems you were really lucky to hook up with Murph. Meeting, talking with, staying with locals is one of the joys of travel, if you`re at all sociable. I always think that a place is people, so it`s great to really get to know the people.

Thanks.
I completely agree... At least when I'm solo. When I travel with people, I'm much less sociable. That's not to say that I avoid people, but I'm caught up with the people I'm with and don't make nearly as much time to talk with locals. Of course, maybe that's why I enjoy traveling by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsbike View Post
Thanks for a great RR Max. You have shown that a great deal can be accomplished with a little. I really do enjoy your writing style. You put me right there. Would do my nut to spend a day with Morph and Gi Jane. And thanks for doing your bit as US Military to keep the world a better place
Thanks! I'd sure as hell like a larger travel budget, a better bike, and better gear... But until then it's not terrible doing a low budget trip! Yeah, it was a great time with them.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #78
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Freeak View Post
Nice write up.

You are right up 115 from me, I'm in Effort.

I don't know the particulars of your tent choice, but you might consider a smaller tent to help offset the cold nights.

Less space to heat means a warmer camper.
I actually had to check Google maps to see where Effort was. I've never been there before. I may have to take a ride through.

Oh yeah, I definitely need a smaller tent... Both for sleeping warmer and space in my luggage. It's an el cheapo 3-person I got off of Amazon. It's actually a great tent for the money. However, it's not great for packing on the bike. It's got way more room inside than I need and packs way larger than I'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
No need for a left nut...just show up. We are always delighted to show off to "Come from aways".
I did the Cabot Trail last month while returning from Ottawa when i picked up that old parts bike. I did the twisties over and over untill i got exhausted. The tourist taking pics at the look-off must have thought i was lost. Went and layed down in the bushes at the end of the road in Dingwall while watching the lobsterman haul pots and had a dandy nap.
Enjoyed your report and pics and you are welcome back anytime.
I remember you telling me that you rode the Cabot trail that way... However, I didn't really realize how good of advice that was until I actually rode it. Sadly, time was against me at that point.

Thanks Murph!... And remember if you ever make it to Pennsylvania, let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Max384....

Wonderful report and soo detailed, it's regarded as one of the best detailed cost analysis report I've seen.

I just wish I got to you earlier reading your report....because you went so far south on the Eastern Atlantic side of Newfoundland you could have gone to "France"...the Islands of Pierre and St. Miquelon are still the only French possesion in North America...; they use the Euro and of course speak French and drive French cars...cool...just an hours boat ride from Fortune, NFLD. There you could have mingled with the Franco's and enjoy some gastronomically delighted meals...wooo. But you might be better if ya speak some French... Maybe next time

cheers....
Thanks. I normally don't keep as close of an eye on my budget, but because I had such a tight one for this trip, I kept detailed notes to make sure I wasn't going over. Since I had the notes, I figured I might as well spend a bit of time with Excel and put together an analysis.

I had seriously considered going to St. Pierre and Miquelon, but I just didn't have the time. Taking three weeks (or longer!) to do this trip would have been ideal.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #79
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ford View Post
Great trip and a wonderful report!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Awesome report!That scene is all too familiar.

As you get close to the border in NB ya gotta watch yer speed...or so I've been told.

Never had so much fun getting a ticket before.

Thanks for taking the time to post up a RR.
Hahaha, Great pictures! I now definitely know not to speed in NB again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorit View Post
I have been wanting to do a north-eastern tour (my brother lives in Rochester, NY) although I never thought to ride up to Newfoundland. Looks like an incredible ride and an area I'll now check out on my NE ride! Thanks for the detailed report and letting us share your adventure.
It's definitely worth the trip. I only wish I had a bit longer to spend exploring the island.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #80
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfixer View Post
From St Stephen N.B. to Saint John N.B. the RCMP are always on the job.Good thing you were not caught in a construction zone.There has been fines levied over $1000 for extreme speeding/stupidity/etc

As stated you can generally run 10 klicks over most of the time unless you meet up with a recent graduate from RCMP basic trainig.
I saw the signs that said 'Maximum fine $1500.' I was careful to stick with the speed limits through the construction zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrascal55 View Post
great report I went there a couple years ago the end of may first of june. It was the coldest i have ever been on a trip. had a great time but stayed cold and wet the whole time.
I'll take the cold over the black flies and mosquitoes any day though!

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #81
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 160
Great RR & pictures

Max I grew up in NS & was born in PEI. My Dad was in the RCAF(airforce) My first trip to Nfld.was in 1977 on my Honda CB750.It rained almost the whole week there.I stayed with my Aunt & her family in a fishing hut just 50 miles north of Porte Basque on the beach for a couple of nights.Went out in a dorry jigging cod one evening.I will never forget the fog,the wind,& the chill to the bone cold at times.My last night was spent on the way to Saint Johns in the pouring rain in my tent.I woke to rain and decided to go home to Nova Scotia to my warm apartment.The week previous to the Nfld.trip I was in PEI for my first week of vacation & it also rained every friggin day.

Then in 1984 I bought my first BMW 1981 R100RT. I was so excited to travel by MC I quit my job at Michelin Tire after 8 years.Went camping in PEI with some friends.Met two guys on Harleys from Nfld who wanted to travel with me to the USA.We spent a week in Maine,NH,VT,& NY states.They invited me back to thier home in Saint Johns,Nfld. I had the best time with these guys and thier friends and families in Nfld.They are the nicest people I have ever met anywhere.They love life and know how to enjoy every day to the fullest.Got "skreeched in" on Signal Hill at 5am one morning also before coming home.Met a nice nurse there who later came to NS to visit with me..she had never been off the Rock.

In August 2010 I bought a new HD RGU and went home to visit my family in NS.I have lived in Maryland for 22 years now and get back to the Maritimes every couple years to visit.What you described about the Cabot Trail were my thoughts exactly in 2010 as I spent the whole day around the trail.It takes a good 8 hours to do the loop and most of it is on bad roads with construction stops and alot of trees with no scenery.Mind you,like you said ,what scenery there is...is spectacular! I would love to go back to Nfld since its been 28 years for me and try and find the two Harley guys Greg & Bill who were from Saint Johns.I have such fond memories from that time in 1984.

My recommendation to anyone travelling to the Maritimes on MC's is to go either July,Aug. or Sept for the best weather.Nova Scotia has some of the nicest scenery along the coastal roads that you can find anywhere.Life stands still there..people will stop what thier doing to talk with you and help you out with any questions you might have on the area.B&B's are the best overnights.The seafood is fresh and spectacular as well.There are nice secluded sandy beaches everywhere along he coastline.The Provincial Parks are amazing as well along the Atlantic coastline.

Max I have to hand it to you the way you travelled through NS & Nfld roughing it like you did brother...your like a Viking on a MC. I liked your story about Larry in North Sydney helping you out with your broken bike.That is a true testament of Maritime hospitality.Great pictures as well..you stopped to smell the roses! I hope you take your family back to the Maritimes for a holiday sometime.All the best to you and ride safely.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #82
Dirt Freeak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I actually had to check Google maps to see where Effort was. I've never been there before. I may have to take a ride through.

Oh yeah, I definitely need a smaller tent... Both for sleeping warmer and space in my luggage. It's an el cheapo 3-person I got off of Amazon. It's actually a great tent for the money. However, it's not great for packing on the bike. It's got way more room inside than I need and packs way larger than I'd like.
Effort is BORING. Nothing to see here. Seriously.

However 534 through Hickory Run is rather fun.

I have some gear like that. Cheap, functional, but not optimal.
Dirt Freeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #83
Fire44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Thanks for sharing you ride with us Max, I have spend a big part of the day sitting here in my office reading and not doing work!!!

Someday I hope to make a trip up there. Great pictures.

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Fire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #84
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
It really is worth it for the scenery alone. I may have inadvertently painted a poor picture of the Cabot trail. It really is a great road and would make a good vacation in and of itself. I just had it pictured as something it was not, so I ended up being a bit disappointed.
I've done the trail twice. Its got beautiful scenery but its not a technical twisty road, its more a huge roller coaster with corners.

We've found that there was way more traffic than we'd have liked. Its a great destination but I know of lots more interesting roads that have a lot less traffic on them. For example, the road out to Trout River on the south side of Gros Morne.

I had much the same feeling as you did after riding it the first time. I thought, what's the big deal? That's the problem when there's too much hype!
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #85
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nash View Post
Max I grew up in NS & was born in PEI. My Dad was in the RCAF(airforce) My first trip to Nfld.was in 1977 on my Honda CB750.It rained almost the whole week there.I stayed with my Aunt & her family in a fishing hut just 50 miles north of Porte Basque on the beach for a couple of nights.Went out in a dorry jigging cod one evening.I will never forget the fog,the wind,& the chill to the bone cold at times.My last night was spent on the way to Saint Johns in the pouring rain in my tent.I woke to rain and decided to go home to Nova Scotia to my warm apartment.The week previous to the Nfld.trip I was in PEI for my first week of vacation & it also rained every friggin day.

Then in 1984 I bought my first BMW 1981 R100RT. I was so excited to travel by MC I quit my job at Michelin Tire after 8 years.Went camping in PEI with some friends.Met two guys on Harleys from Nfld who wanted to travel with me to the USA.We spent a week in Maine,NH,VT,& NY states.They invited me back to thier home in Saint Johns,Nfld. I had the best time with these guys and thier friends and families in Nfld.They are the nicest people I have ever met anywhere.They love life and know how to enjoy every day to the fullest.Got "skreeched in" on Signal Hill at 5am one morning also before coming home.Met a nice nurse there who later came to NS to visit with me..she had never been off the Rock.

In August 2010 I bought a new HD RGU and went home to visit my family in NS.I have lived in Maryland for 22 years now and get back to the Maritimes every couple years to visit.What you described about the Cabot Trail were my thoughts exactly in 2010 as I spent the whole day around the trail.It takes a good 8 hours to do the loop and most of it is on bad roads with construction stops and alot of trees with no scenery.Mind you,like you said ,what scenery there is...is spectacular! I would love to go back to Nfld since its been 28 years for me and try and find the two Harley guys Greg & Bill who were from Saint Johns.I have such fond memories from that time in 1984.

My recommendation to anyone travelling to the Maritimes on MC's is to go either July,Aug. or Sept for the best weather.Nova Scotia has some of the nicest scenery along the coastal roads that you can find anywhere.Life stands still there..people will stop what thier doing to talk with you and help you out with any questions you might have on the area.B&B's are the best overnights.The seafood is fresh and spectacular as well.There are nice secluded sandy beaches everywhere along he coastline.The Provincial Parks are amazing as well along the Atlantic coastline.

Max I have to hand it to you the way you travelled through NS & Nfld roughing it like you did brother...your like a Viking on a MC. I liked your story about Larry in North Sydney helping you out with your broken bike.That is a true testament of Maritime hospitality.Great pictures as well..you stopped to smell the roses! I hope you take your family back to the Maritimes for a holiday sometime.All the best to you and ride safely.
It seems my soggy experience going to Newfoundland was far from unique! After the first few days of nonstop rain, I didn't dawn the rain gear for the rest of the trip, so really I lucked out.

That sounds like a great time on your trip where you met up with some other bikers... and you took a nurse home to boot!

I didn't get to spend too much time in NS, but I could definitely see myself coming back and spending a few days riding that area.

I wouldn't really call the way I traveled roughing it because I enjoy traveling that way. If I'm having fun, it's hard to call it roughing it! I've only had good things to say about everyone I met along the way. The people of the maritimes are definitely a friendly bunch! I already told the wife and kids that we'll be taking a vacation to Newfoundland one day. It probably won't be for a few years, but with such a good experience, I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't come back.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #86
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Freeak View Post
Effort is BORING. Nothing to see here. Seriously.

However 534 through Hickory Run is rather fun.

I have some gear like that. Cheap, functional, but not optimal.
I've gone through Hickory Run a few times and it is good riding. Maybe I passed through Effort without realizing it.

That describes most of my gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire44 View Post
Thanks for sharing you ride with us Max, I have spend a big part of the day sitting here in my office reading and not doing work!!!

Someday I hope to make a trip up there. Great pictures.
Glad to help you out with not doing your work!

I'd definitely recommend Newfoundland as a riding destination to anyone... Just watch out for the damned moose... Or as Murph calls them 'swamp donkeys.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
I've done the trail twice. Its got beautiful scenery but its not a technical twisty road, its more a huge roller coaster with corners.

We've found that there was way more traffic than we'd have liked. Its a great destination but I know of lots more interesting roads that have a lot less traffic on them. For example, the road out to Trout River on the south side of Gros Morne.

I had much the same feeling as you did after riding it the first time. I thought, what's the big deal? That's the problem when there's too much hype!
Having already rode 'the Dragon' at Deals Gap, I loved the low traffic volume... But I also expected a road about as technical as Deals Gap... Or at least a higher percentage of the road like that.

I was going to ride all the way out to Trout River, but only made it out as far as the Discovery Center. I guess I should have continued all the way out there.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #87
Moosehunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Max,
Again, thank you very much for sharing this RR. The next time you go you'll have about ten of us following you! And as for the Moosehunting, PM me if you want a recommendation.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #88
JNXPILOT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
solo

Thanks for letting us 'ride' along with you. Great RR. I was wondering if you would share with us what you had packed in your bag/top case. I was on a 4 day trip last month and from the looks of it, I toted more stuff than you!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #89
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehunter View Post
Max,
Again, thank you very much for sharing this RR. The next time you go you'll have about ten of us following you! And as for the Moosehunting, PM me if you want a recommendation.
Thanks! lol

Now that I met two guys who are moose guides there, if I ever go there to hunt moose, I'll go with one of them. Thanks anyhow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNXPILOT View Post
Thanks for letting us 'ride' along with you. Great RR. I was wondering if you would share with us what you had packed in your bag/top case. I was on a 4 day trip last month and from the looks of it, I toted more stuff than you!
Sure! I was actually thinking about going through what I brought, but decided not to... But since you asked... Why not!

Tankbag
-toilet paper and shit shovel (very important)
-extra visor
-camera and cell phone chargers
-DC to AC inverter
-leatherman
-lighters
-zip ties
-550 cord
-camera
-ipod
-reading book
-small notebook and pens/pencils
-other tank bag stuff

70L waterproof bag
-tent (el cheapo 3 man tent that packs WAY too big)
-sleeping bag (-10F bag that also packs large, but was definitely nice to have this trip)
-blowup mattress (waste of space, only used it twice the whole trip)
-tarp (waste of space, never used it)
-two pairs of pants (should've only packed one)
-two t-shirts
-four boxers
-seven pairs of socks
-fifth of vodka
-extra reading book
-camp towel
-small tool kit that includes DC air compressor
-rain gear (cheap Walmart pants and top, overgloves, and overboots)
-Alite Monarch camp chair
-bear spray
-camp saw
-extra jetboil canister
-walking shoes
-trash bags

Topbox
-laptop (17" one - way too big)
-laptop charger
-GSI Solo cook set w/ stove
-first aid kit
-food (one to two days worth of food at a time) and coffee supplies
-coffee cup
-souvenirs (grew as I went along)
-extra hot (or cold) weather gloves
-passport and extra money
-pacsafe security net

I may have missed an item or two, but that's most of what I took. This isn't much different than my two day setup and if I did a two month setup, I don't think I'd really add anything else.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #90
jdunay
time travler

Oddometer: 27
thanks for sharing max.