Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
Has anyone gone from a bigger dualsport to a smaller one and regretted the decision? How much more does a klx250s vibrate on the highway compared to the klr?
What, like only having one bike?
That I would regret, no matter the size.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
300 pound 650 bikes like the 690 and the late te 630 and xr 650 are as close as you can get to having it all in one. Klr does not work period but the 250 would be the one to choose if you had to
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
I have a KLR650 that I picked up last year and have been enjoying it alot but, it is a handfull offroad. I'm thinking of getting a klx250s but I am affraid that I'll miss the klr650 on the street. Sometimes riding the highway/turnpike is the the only way to get around and I like that the klr can do 75 to 80 on the highway.

Has anyone gone from a bigger dualsport to a smaller one and regretted the decision? How much more does a klx250s vibrate on the highway compared to the klr?

I feel that my KLX is actually smoother on the highway. The big difference I find between KLR and my KLX and even my DR350 is the size. I'm only 5'8"/145 and the KLR's size is more comfortable on the highway.

Will the klx250s have enough power for steep hill climbs offroad?

I haven't find a situation where the KLX did not have enough power off road. I could imagine a steep track with deep sand that might overwhelm it, but I sure wouldn't want to take my KLR on that trail.

Is there anything I need to know before I make the switch?

Can you spend 6 to 8 hours in the saddle of a little 250 without it splitting you in two? I'm not a big guy but those seats look freaking tiny compared to the klr seat.

I don't think I would want to make a trip that long on the KLX, but others have done it.

Thanks for advice

P.S.: I have read the bigdog adventure website and I know a lot of guys like the wr250r but I like to do my own work and the fuel injection will probably keep me doing my own repairs and the drz400 is just too tall for me, I'm short and had to lower the klr to make it fit me.
As other posters have stated, you really have to analyze the type of riding you are going to do the majority of the time and get the bike that you feel will suit you best.

When traveling on the bike the KLR just handles loads better. The size makes it easy to pack things. When taking a long trip the KLR can handle a tank bag, front panniers, saddle bags and a tail trunk and still be comfortable, not cramped. The KLX, as you know is physically smaller and won't handle my tank panniers, will only accept a smaller tank bag and feels more cramped with a tail bag and saddle bags.

I have two sets of wheels for the KLR which helps for when I need more dirt oriented tires which helps for when I want to go on more challenging trails. But then you have to decide if you want to burn up your knobbies riding 6-8 hours on the highway to be better Able to handle the trails, or use your more street oriented tires and be more challenged on the trails. This would also come into play with the KLX, 80-20, 50-50, or 20-80 tires?

As with others who have the luxury of multiples bikes, it seems like when you are riding that bike it is the best bike and you think you could get by with just that bike. Then you ride one of the others and you wonder how you could ever get rid of it. You would miss the torque/comfort (KLR), the smooth revvy engine and light handling (KLX), or the pretty good torque/ pretty light handling air cooled goodness (DR, which is really a nice compromise).

It is the best of all worlds having multiple bikes so that you can choose the best one for a given task, but even with that you might not be on the right one for every part of one trip, just the most right one.

Good luck with your decision.

John
Old 06-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,530
I have both a DR650 and an XT225. I am thinking about selling the DR because I don't use it that much. I also have a Vulcan 750, an '95 Goldwing, and a Ninja 500. The ONLY place the DR does better than the XT is on the highway. And I have pure street bikes for highway use that are a lot more comfortable than the DR. The way I see it, the 650 and larger bikes are great for one thing. Adventure touring. They are big enough to hold highway speeds, can be loaded down with a lot of stuff, and can handle less than perfect roads. But they are not dirt bikes or trail bikes. If you mainly ride off road locally, or at least within a couple hundred miles of home, you don't need a 650. I have yet to find anywhere my XT won't go if any kind of bike could get there. And it's a lot of fun on trails, unlike the DR. I bought the DR because I am 6' 220, and thought I needed a big bike. I was wrong. The KLX250 should work fine. I would get it over the WR because it still has a carburetor, and you CAN tinker with it. It also doesn't have several hundred dollars worth of electronic parts. And it's cheaper.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,350
I started with a KLR650 and after riding it once offroad went and bought a KLX250S. I have no desire to ever ride the KLR off road again. I still have the KLR and I like it for commuting and street riding in the twisties. For 50/50 riding, I think the KLX is great. It could use more power, and I intend to do the 351 kit some day. Only once have I really needed more power, and that was on a steep, rocky climb at 7000'. It just didn't have the power to pull 2nd gear and 1st would just spin and lose momentum. It would be nice to have more grunt so I can pop the front wheel over obstacles off road, and the max speed on road is currently only about 65mph (GPS, not the pie-in-the-sky speedometer). I've done 200 mile days on it, no problem. It is a lot smoother at speed than the KLR. Some wind protection might be nice, but I'm not sure I want to give up the smooth clean airflow I get now. I find the seat quite comfortable, much more so than the KLR seat for some reason. I went with the KLX over a WRR because it was much cheaper used, and I like the simplicity and possibly greater reliability of a carburetor instead of fuel injection (although the WRR has proven to be extremely reliable).

So, to answer your question, no regrets on the KLX. I do ride my KLR more, simply because I commute on it. I'd probably get rid of the KLR and use the KLX for everything except that I ride 2-up with my wife now and then. And that's one thing the KLX will never be able to do.

cjbiker screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 04:31 PM
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
Harsh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I own a 2010 KLX250. There are highways near me where speed limit is 70. I'll hop on and off but there is no way I'm cruising for hours at 70 with traffic - my 250 doesn't have the power to play (uphill against the wind I'm not hitting 70. Stock seat got uncomfortable quickly for me about 100 miles. But aftermarket Sargent seat (4 inches wider) equals all day comfort. I also put on a Cycle Rack - you could carry a person on that rack.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #22
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
I went from a KLR650 to a WR250X... absolutely no regrets.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
I went from a KLR650 to a WR250X... absolutely no regrets.
My personal opinoin is this is the only way to downsize and still be happy. I haven't riden a KLK, I really like them but interstate capability is a must for me. I know any bike 250 or larger is interstate "capable" but its a tiring battle cruising at the upper limits of a bike for hours on end. I had an XT 350 before I got my KLR and that's the actual reason I decided to go to a 650 was to be able to cruise more comfortably on the interstate. It's do-able on a smaller bike but stopped being fun after a couple hours. I wouldn't worry about working on it yourself, the FI will take care of itself and you can still do everything else. WR250 is the only JAP bike out there right now that will run interstate required speeds and do it fairly well.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
I have a '03 KLX400SR (DRZ400S in a green uniform) and an '08 XT250 (girlfriend rides it). The XT keeps up with the KLX. with her riding. Me as a 6'6" 250 lb'er would not choose a 250, I have ridden a KLX250s and my XT250. They just cant run higher speeds with comfort for me. But, I guess the KLX400 wont run the higher speeds well either lol, just needs one more gear...

"08 XT250
  • Air cooled
  • Low seat height
  • Wider more comfortable seat
  • Small aftermarket
  • More road then off, less suspension
  • Carbureted
  • 5 Speed
KLX400 (green DRZ400)
  • Tall
  • Good suspension
  • Plenty of power
  • Needs another gear
  • Hard seat
  • Carburetor
  • Liquid cooled
  • 5 Speed
WR250R
  • Don't know much about it
  • Nice wide gear ratio
  • 5 Speed (?)
  • Liquid cooled
  • Fuel Injected
KLX250s
  • Fairly tall
  • Good suspension
  • Seat height medium to tall
  • Seat hard
  • 6 Speed (I think don't remember)
  • Liquid cooled
  • Carb
I am sure I forgot something or was wrong about something, and I will be told . Those are the differences I have noticed. Ride quality on and off road depends on tires. YMMV as I am large.

Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #25
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,207
I find a smaller under powered lighter bike to be a lot more fun to ride then a big heavy bike with more power, street or dirt.
The wr250 seems to be the way to go, and it does have a 6 speed trans.
The klx with the big bore kit also seems great, and its cheaper.
The suspension might not be as good as the wr250, people really seem to love those bikes and they seem to go everywhere.

The dr650 is lighter then a klr, 40 pounds I think, but its still enough weight to bust you up good in a fall.
I can not imagine trying to have fun in the dirt on a klr...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #26
dsdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I owned a klx (2006) for 3 seasons and liked it. Put about 7000 km on it. you need to do the usual mods like larger snorkle and jetting and maybe exhaust to get it usable (then stock gearing is perfect). in december a picked up a drz... i feel this is a better bike all around... slightly heavier but i dont feel it at all. I would check out lowering links to suit your needs. I like to ride single track, quad trails , power lines and back roads along with some commuting. Lots of after market support and like the klr has been unchanged for years.
dsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I would consider going from a KLR 650 to a WR250 as an upgrade in all departments for the kind of riding I do.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I find a smaller under powered lighter bike to be a lot more fun to ride then a big heavy bike with more power, street or dirt.
The wr250 seems to be the way to go, and it does have a 6 speed trans.
The klx with the big bore kit also seems great, and its cheaper.
The suspension might not be as good as the wr250, people really seem to love those bikes and they seem to go everywhere.

The dr650 is lighter then a klr, 40 pounds I think, but its still enough weight to bust you up good in a fall.
I can not imagine trying to have fun in the dirt on a klr...
The KLX and WRR have almost identical suspensions. They both can use some work for some level of perfection. I have an '06 KLX, but I wouldn't be leary at all of a WRR. The FI doesn't scare me, but neither do I mind the carb on mine. These two bikes are really the only true DS 250's IMO at the moment. The new Honda 250 may turn out to be decent but the shorter travel and weight are still concerns for me.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #29
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
The KLX 250's do have a 6 speed tranny; my 09 klx has a 6 speed tranny. The seat is a killer; a 2x4 piece of lumber is softer. I can ride my BMW G650gs 800 miles in one day and my butt feels better than riding my klx 250 50 miles. However, I did upgrade my bmw to a corbin seat and I will upgrade the klx to a corbin sometime in the future. I have got my klx250 up to 78mph (I am 5'10" and weight 190 lbs) on flat, straight highways, though that was maxed out. I have ridden it 50 miles on the interstate, 4 lane highways at 70-75 mph with no problems, but its sweet spot is between 60-65 mph on the highways. I dont ride single track, so I cant comment on that, but on sand roads (I keep it in storage in Florida) or sand driveways, it tears it up-better than my bmw gs.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #30
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
I had a WR250R. didn't own it longer than a few months. Just not enough power for me to have fun in the bush. I love my torquey big bores and powersliding the back out at speed, the 250 wouldn't let me do that