ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #31
zenjen
Go Outside
 
zenjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Quartz Mtn. West end of the Wichitas
Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles0449 View Post
Now that would be something special, entering Dakar on a diesel bike! Incredible torque, great fuel range, but cumbersome and heavy..theres a company in the UK that are developing a round-the-world style bike, based around the Smart car diesel unit...last i saw it was a bit Frankenbike looking, but how awesome would it be if someone was prepared to develop something suitable and give it a go!

Do any of you guys know of any 450 powerplants out there that could be used instead of an 800cc TDi unit?! Wonder if Dakar would allow the 800cc engine, just because it's a diesel?! Could open up a whole new side to the rally!


http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/au...4KAWASAKI.html


.
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #32
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,699
Check your postbox, 18 dutchies made the cut it seems... Anyone here got a letter?
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #33
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,699
Verhoeven back with Sherco to team up with Duclos it seems...

Edit.

Rumor just got denied by verhoeven himself..
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=

tehdutchie screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 02:59 PM Reason: Update
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #34
clearandlock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Lives London, England, Home Town Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 163
I have heard from French friend that he found out via the online admin site that he had been accepted and also had a letter waiting when he returned home from vacation today.

fingers crossed.
clearandlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #35
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearandlock View Post
I have heard from French friend that he found out via the online admin site that he had been accepted and also had a letter waiting when he returned home from vacation today.

fingers crossed.
Excellent!
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #36
biggles0449
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West Africa / UK
Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearandlock View Post
I have heard from French friend that he found out via the online admin site that he had been accepted and also had a letter waiting when he returned home from vacation today.

fingers crossed.
Good luck mate, Jamie got in touch tonight & getting twitchy! Paul Jay had his letter this weekend..think hes riding solo, with Patsy assisting..
__________________
'10 KTM 450 Meca Rally,'09 KTM 250 EXC, '98 CCM R30M Supermoto prototype
biggles0449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #37
Mike_drz
Banned
 
Mike_drz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: somewhere near the beach
Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles0449 View Post
Now that would be something special, entering Dakar on a diesel bike! Incredible torque, great fuel range, but cumbersome and heavy..theres a company in the UK that are developing a round-the-world style bike, based around the Smart car diesel unit...last i saw it was a bit Frankenbike looking, but how awesome would it be if someone was prepared to develop something suitable and give it a go!

Do any of you guys know of any 450 powerplants out there that could be used instead of an 800cc TDi unit?! Wonder if Dakar would allow the 800cc engine, just because it's a diesel?! Could open up a whole new side to the rally!

can a high rpm 450 run on diesel and find a match up turbo? 800cc that's a lot torque needs to be handle
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #38
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,473
305 applicants, 220 positions available for bikes and quads.

Car category is still accepting applicants.

I hope all the inmates who applied get accepted
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #39
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R
 
Brodovitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 3,171
from Enduro 21's facebook thingie:

"Preparations are well underway in deepest Wales for Simon Pavey's assault on Dakar 2013. On a perfect mid summer's eve, Simon puts his factory spec Ohlins suspenders through their paces..."

"Team Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna UK - TE 449 SPR - Ohlins FTR Suspension Testing - Images ©thatcamerakid.com 2012"


Looks like '13 is the year of the Brits

Sam Sunderland, Si, Jenny, Lyndon, Stan... who did I miss?




__________________
TALES FROM THE BIVOUAC
TWOONEZERO
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #40
zenjen
Go Outside
 
zenjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Quartz Mtn. West end of the Wichitas
Oddometer: 2,597
Still no word on Quinn Cody???
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #41
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R
 
Brodovitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 3,171
had to share this pic, but didn't know where to put it...

simply awesome opening spread to an article in spanish SoloMoto magazine...

__________________
TALES FROM THE BIVOUAC
TWOONEZERO
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #42
biggles0449
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West Africa / UK
Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
from Enduro 21's facebook thingie:

"Preparations are well underway in deepest Wales for Simon Pavey's assault on Dakar 2013. On a perfect mid summer's eve, Simon puts his factory spec Ohlins suspenders through their paces..."

"Team Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna UK - TE 449 SPR - Ohlins FTR Suspension Testing - Images ©thatcamerakid.com 2012"


Looks like '13 is the year of the Brits

Sam Sunderland, Si, Jenny, Lyndon, Stan... who did I miss?

Well.... ive got my fingers crossed for a couple of mates that are scheduled to ride with Stan and Lyndon..they're just waiting to see if their letters are thumbs up, or thumbs down..As they were sent to Stan's house and he's been in France all week, they have to wait until he gets home this weekend! Poor buggers..

There is one other Brit, Paul Jay, who got the news this week, he will be riding with Honda Europe. I think Craig Bounds had applied too, but not heard any updates recently.. last I heard he was selling everything that wasn't nailed down and looking for a used 450rr..!

Havent heard of any others just yet, but potentially 10 riders in total would be fantastic news for a Brit contingent!
__________________
'10 KTM 450 Meca Rally,'09 KTM 250 EXC, '98 CCM R30M Supermoto prototype
biggles0449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #43
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer
 
dashmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: East Midlands, UK
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles0449 View Post
There is one other Brit, Paul Jay, who got the news this week, he will be riding with Honda Europe. I think Craig Bounds had applied too, but not heard any updates recently.. last I heard he was selling everything that wasn't nailed down and looking for a used 450rr..!
Craig's definitely applied, and is proceeding on the basis that he's going to get accepted. Him and Tamsin are off to the Aus Safari in Sept as a 'warm up'. No idea what bike he's planning on using for the Dakar, they're using a couple of their riding school DR-Z's for the Safari
__________________
(formerly 'uberthumper')

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #44
Flood
F5lood.
 
Flood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 10,161
Ignacio Chivite has been accepted with his 1970's 2-stroke Bultaco Pursang. He already competed in '11 and didn't make the cut last year.
__________________
TEAM F5

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #45
Gian
dreamer
 
Gian's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: north east of Italy
Oddometer: 947
Manuel Lucchese has written on facebook he is in

Also Fabio Mauri (an expert Enduro rider with several Six Days on his shoulders, did pretty well at latest Sardegna Rally and is winning the marathon class at the Italian Motorally Championship... with a Wr250R, not F!), Luca Viglio (very good at the Pharaons last year) and Andrea Fesani who previously had to let his place to Ciotti for an accident just before the race... Let's see about other Italians, I know Francesco Catanese was hoping to participate...
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014