Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,614
Dual or triple source heat is a GOOD thing. Try and plan out the wood fireplace so it will provide enough heat to the core living areas if there's a power outage. You might even be able to rig up a heat exchanger through the wood system that will keep the hot water heating in the event of a power outage, my folks did a setup like that with their wood furnace in eastern Canada.

Solar hot water has a stupidly quick payback period. Don't even think twice about that. Solar PV can be done less expensively if you grid tie instead of setting up a battery system. I'd think a generator would be cheaper and easier to maintain than a battery setup for outages. Think about wiring for one to a secured outside box.

Heat pumps are great if you have reasonably priced electricity, and will do double duty in heat and cold, but not for extreme heat or cold.

I always wondered if you need two types of ducts for heating vs cooling to get the best efficiencies. Any HVAC guys got an answer for that?
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #17
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Dual or triple source heat is a GOOD thing. Try and plan out the wood fireplace so it will provide enough heat to the core living areas if there's a power outage. You might even be able to rig up a heat exchanger through the wood system that will keep the hot water heating in the event of a power outage, my folks did a setup like that with their wood furnace in eastern Canada.

Solar hot water has a stupidly quick payback period. Don't even think twice about that. Solar PV can be done less expensively if you grid tie instead of setting up a battery system. I'd think a generator would be cheaper and easier to maintain than a battery setup for outages. Think about wiring for one to a secured outside box.

Heat pumps are great if you have reasonably priced electricity, and will do double duty in heat and cold, but not for extreme heat or cold.

I always wondered if you need two types of ducts for heating vs cooling to get the best efficiencies. Any HVAC guys got an answer for that?
depends on what you consider "best" i suppose. For the cost and space involved, i can't think of very many situations where a dual duct setup would be an advantage over a single duct system. In theory you could have losses during a swap from high heat to high cooling, but that situation does not typically happen in a climate control scheme. Google "hot deck, cold deck"
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
r3mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I just a few days with some friends who are about to start building a home near Augusta me using ICF. Sounds like a great product and should be a terrific experience. Best of luck to you.

And condolences on your mum.

Cheers
r3mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 11,551
Hey, if you heat or cool you will really like it. My BIL built one in Tahoe and it's solid, quiet and well insulated. I think he's happy with it.

Lots to like about that construction.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 6,556
I am looking forward to seeing this as it progresses.

I have looked at Ross Chapin homes in the past, some really nice plans.

Wishing you good luck with your endeavor!

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #21
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,218
Condolences for the loss of your Mom. We're hoping to build in the next year or two, like the plan you picked, so I'll be following this thread as well.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,802
Finished placing the gravel for the footings today. What a chore. This is one of the few times when I'd rather have a backhoe instead of an excavator- but then again the surface I was working on was so uneven, I'm not sure a backhoe would get around ok. Lots of tracking back and forth, one bucket of gravel at a time.

Then I started moving a pile of bank run gravel I've got sitting (about 50 truckloads!) to give the concrete truck a good surface to drive one. I'll go back out tomorrow to finish it up. I'm not used to sitting in equipment for hours on end- I'm usually in and out at work for little projects. Swinging around in this machine in the woods for hours at a time leaves me a little motion sick. I called it quits when I heard thunder- didn't want to be sitting in a giant metal contraption.

Footings should be poured on Monday, but predicted downpours might push us to Tuesday.

If I don't get a few pictures up before then, I'll definitely get a picture after the footings are done.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Footings are in!!!!!

Rained on us during the entire pour, and we had a form go wonky on us, but we saved the day and came out alive. Drenched in sweat and rain, but alive.

I'll be back out tomorrow afternoon to start assembling the frost walls. When Mr. ICF showed up this morning he brought a truckload of ICFs with him- I couldn't contain my smile- it's just such a happy feeling to finally have forward progress. Couldn't help but miss my mother- she was SO excited to be part of this project.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,858
This thread requires pictures.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Footings are in!!!!!

Rained on us during the entire pour, and we had a form go wonky on us, but we saved the day and came out alive. Drenched in sweat and rain, but alive.

I'll be back out tomorrow afternoon to start assembling the frost walls. When Mr. ICF showed up this morning he brought a truckload of ICFs with him- I couldn't contain my smile- it's just such a happy feeling to finally have forward progress. Couldn't help but miss my mother- she was SO excited to be part of this project.

PICTURES MUTHA FUCKA!!!! DO YOU HAVE THEM????!!!!

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

I'm just as annoyed as you guys are at the lack of pictures. I forgot a camera today.

Walls have been started, so it's starting to look like a house.

If pictures aren't up by this weekend you can all put me on ignore.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Pictures!

OK. Here are pictures.

First- the view from the driveway. The driveway goes to the right, while I build some temporary access to the left for concrete trucks. Plus, the septic system is ending up there eventually:
From June 28, 2012

Here are some of the rocks I've been dealing with. For perspective, those are 20' lengths of rebar. My excavator can barely lift these- some of them are "drag and push only."
From June 28, 2012

My toy, hiding behind another pile of dirt:
From June 28, 2012

Here are some ICFs, hanging out waiting for their big day:
From June 28, 2012

And here are some ICFs that are starting to look a bit like a house. This is the part when I started to feel like we were making progress.
From June 28, 2012

And another view, with "another view" of my wife:
From June 28, 2012

I'll try to be better about getting pictures up- I know it's fun to watch things progress.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #28
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Sweet...

I didn't realize it was on that much of a hill... Lots of perimeter drainage???
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Sweet...

I didn't realize it was on that much of a hill... Lots of perimeter drainage???
It's not quite as big a slope as it appears- we're sort of making it artificially steeper if that makes any sense. The steps in the footings are because of severe ledge- we pretty much were forced to pour the footings based on how the ledge turned out.

I JUST got home from laying the perimeter drain pipe- I didn't have much time so I just threw it on the ground roughly where it's supposed to go. At some point this weekend we'll get it placed, glued, and covered, and start to do some backfilling.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #30
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
How do you fill the gap so nice between the insulation?

Do you use a concrete pump/boom truck?

Shovel?

Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: