Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #46
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Well when you stop by you know what to do! (Seriously- giving me a beer when I'm working in the sun is a really bad idea. )

Sounds like pure entertainment to me!

We've got ours pressurized right now (and did before the pour) and so far no leaks. We're also trying to avoid cutting into them- Elissa and I spent a good chunk of time mapping it out the other day and taking measurements. It was wicked hot that day and one of us who shall remain nameless was having a sugar crisis and may or may not have gotten frustrated with me.

Mr. ICF was a little frustrated with the quality of the slab, but I think it's fine. We had a little challenge because one of the truck drivers added too much water to his mix. One great thing about him is that he seems to be a perfectionist, which is fine by me. There was a time not long ago when I'd get frustrated by imperfection, but I've gotten over that. This is going to be a long challenging project and I'm not going to let little things bother me. It's a basement floor and the only imperfection is going to be covered by a bathtub.
Good idea to map it out with lots of pictures. Using a tape measure in your pictures with a point of reference is very helpful. I found that to be the case with our addition.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #47
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Bout damn time Adam! Glad to see you finally pulled the trigger on building the thing! Too bad I now live 3000 or so miles away or I would gladly pitch in a hand. I'll be watching the electrical carefully, so you better do it right! The home audio I have done has been pretty simple, but I have some really good resources if you have any questions. I'll PM you my new cell # if you want.

Also, if you are looking for a pump truck, Peterson's in Croydon always treated us well and were good guys to work with. We used them a ton on the dam project, and pumped over 400 yards of crete with them with nary a problem. When I was in the area, they seemed a bit slow, and I never heard any bad remarks about their pricing.

Next time I am in the 'shire I will give you a shout. I'd love to see how that place turns out!
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #48
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Bout damn time Adam! Glad to see you finally pulled the trigger on building the thing! Too bad I now live 3000 or so miles away or I would gladly pitch in a hand. I'll be watching the electrical carefully, so you better do it right! The home audio I have done has been pretty simple, but I have some really good resources if you have any questions. I'll PM you my new cell # if you want.

Also, if you are looking for a pump truck, Peterson's in Croydon always treated us well and were good guys to work with. We used them a ton on the dam project, and pumped over 400 yards of crete with them with nary a problem. When I was in the area, they seemed a bit slow, and I never heard any bad remarks about their pricing.

Next time I am in the 'shire I will give you a shout. I'd love to see how that place turns out!
Yo man! How's California treating you? Good to hear from you!

Thanks for the pumping info- My concrete guy is pretty disappointed in Carroll for several reasons, and they have no competition in the area so we're stuck with them. We're a bit over budget on that front, which isn't a huge deal at this point but it's still slightly annoying. I"ll give Peterson's a shout for pricing- I imagine we'll be pumping for the first time next week.

Please PM me you're new phone number- I'd like to change it in my phone.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #49
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,448
Quote:
First picture proves that I'm a real person. I'm the good looking one on the left.
From July 8, 2012

Real person????

Still not sure if I believe it....

Hhmmmmmmmmm.... the resemblance is... striking.....

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #50
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post

Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #51
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Here's a time lapse- I'm not happy with the interval we used, AND the battery went dead before the end, but it's still kinda neat to watch.

If you have a good eye you might be able to spot two ADVers peeking over the wall from time to time. Maybe even a stray salute.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #52
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,448
Nice work dude..

Just need a sound track...

Here.. allow me...

Just play both at the same time...

It's like Pink Floyd and The Wizard of Oz man....

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #53
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Nice work dude..

Just need a sound track...

Here.. allow me...

Just play both at the same time...

Elissa is the master of creating youtube videos, and she wasn't feeling any musical vibes with this one.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #54
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Real person????

Still not sure if I believe it....

Yeah, I saw him driving a 10 wheeler today. Who'd a thunk you could teach him to do that?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #55
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,982
Awesome. Glad you're doing this thread, I think the ICFs are great, especially for your location. Never used them personally, so I'm learning from this thread. (I'm a GC, but we do remodels almost exclusively, and california people don't care about insulation very much ).

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #56
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

We've talked to two well companies and will be punching a hole in the ground in the next few weeks. Also spent a few hours last night sprucing up the driveway a bit.

While I was slaving away earning money today my wife took the day off to go work with Mr. ICF. We got a tractor trailer load of forms in- enough to finish the project. Wish I could have seen it- it's a big deal to get a 53' trailer up our road.

I guess the walls are growing- I'll find out tomorrow. My homework for the weekend is to build the window bucks for the basement. Which brings up a question:

Can anyone recommend a good job site table saw? I'd like to be able to get good use out of it, but sell it when I'm done and buy a full size one. Quality is important, but so is price.

Also taking any suggestions on heat sources- propane is the only fossil fuel we'll consider. Primary heat will be solar.

Pictures by the end of the weekend!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #57
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:

Can anyone recommend a good job site table saw? I'd like to be able to get good use out of it, but sell it when I'm done and buy a full size one. Quality is important, but so is price.
My dad uses a made in USA Black and Decker with aluminum legs, not that they help the freakin cast iron table is so damn heavy.

Its probably from the mid 90s if I could guess, the only thing I will suggest is making sure you know how to sqaure your fence to the blade.

He has an OLDDDDD delta from my grandfather who was a master carpenter probably from the 60s or 70s he uses at home for super important cuts, but the BD is his go-to saw when hes working on his rehab projects.

ChrisRiedinger screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 01:53 PM Reason: spellcheck win
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #58
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We've talked to two well companies and will be punching a hole in the ground in the next few weeks. Also spent a few hours last night sprucing up the driveway a bit.

While I was slaving away earning money today my wife took the day off to go work with Mr. ICF. We got a tractor trailer load of forms in- enough to finish the project. Wish I could have seen it- it's a big deal to get a 53' trailer up our road.

I guess the walls are growing- I'll find out tomorrow. My homework for the weekend is to build the window bucks for the basement. Which brings up a question:

Also taking any suggestions on heat sources- propane is the only fossil fuel we'll consider. Primary heat will be solar.

Pictures by the end of the weekend!
Sounds like progress to me!

I bought a Dewalt portable saw and it was crap right out of the box, bad armiture, brand new. The Dewalt repair dealer I took it to said it was a common problem with them.

I bought a Crapsman portable saw and have been happy with for the last three years. Just my .02, which is about all portable table saws are worth anyway. Given my recent 14 week ordeal to get a dryer squared away with Sears.....its little wonder why they are circling the drain.

My Makita chop saw......that's another story, about 15 years old and cuts like new.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #59
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,537
Quote:

I've used the hell out of this one for the last three years with no problems. I'm impressed by the torque and negligible runout. DeWalt still makes the most accurate fence on a job saw and it's pretty easy to cart around. I found mine for much less than Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_244910-70-DW...la&cagpspn=pla
Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #60
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,759
Quote:
And today we put in the vapor barrier, foam insulation, PEX tubing, and wire mesh. First picture proves that I'm a real person. I'm the good looking one on the left, Bob the ICF guru on the right. Picture is crooked because wife took it.
From July 8, 2012

The heating supply company I/We are dealing with is pretty cool. They sell pre-made manifolds. (I'm sure most companies do, but what do I know- first time I've done this) It's something I could make myself, but sometimes (like right now) I'd rather pay a small premium for the convenience.
From July 8, 2012

And here is the finished product. We really flew through this with 3 people working on it. Bob normally works alone, and I can't imagine how he does it, but good for him. Holy Cow was it hot in the sun, and standing in that make-shift Styrofoam cooler didn't help matters any.
From July 8, 2012

I'm curious about your in-slab tubing. I'm having a garage pad poured in a couple of weeks, and I've opted to have it insulated and to run radiant tubing in it. I'm not installing a heating source yet, but I want to have it for an option in the future.

The insulation part is easy, but regarding the tubing, I know there are a couple of kinds. There's a certain kind of radiant floor tubing I've used in the past. Unlike PEX, it's opaque, and it seems to be flexier, and doesn't kink nearly as easily as PEX. So, is PEX favored now, or is it one of those solutions that's 95% as good, but 30% the cost.

I'm also curious about the layout. You mentioned spacing, but what are the guidelines for that? Is there a certain number of lineal feet in a loop that's recommended?

Your loops appear to be under the steel mesh, and zip tied to it. I know that will give the mesh a bit of lift up into the concrete, but getting it under the mesh must have been a cast iron PITA. (or, did you fasten it to the insulation, lay the mesh, then zip tie it?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: