Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #31
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
because of the dismal performance in the whoops I decided to go back to the OHV park and try some suspension tweaks. I played around with the rebound rate (the only thing besides the preload and charge pressure that is adjustable) and my lap times were identical (over aprox 5 mile test course) and it felt the same... hmm, I tried the same thing with the front forks by changing the oil weight in the past, and I a small change usually makes a significant change in the track time.

anyway, at home, I took off the shock and checked it, and it looks like it doesn't have any charge, and it sounds like it has some air in the oil, also there is some oil on the shaft, so I think it's blown. also, the adjuster knob is cracked, so it won't really adjust anything, anyway.

did some research, I can send the shock in to a suspension place for a rebuild $200-300, or maybe a rebuild plus a emulator/cartridge upgrade $300-600, or a new after market shock from works performance, between $700-1000... sigh. haven't seen any shocks for this bike (1981-1983 XR200R) on ebay, besides they are likely to have dried seals or worn after 30 years as well... checked my supply of shocks, and I have nothing that fits this bike, only bigger XR bikes.

hmmm. $1000 for new shocks, $300-400 for fork emulators, $200-1000 for a cam/stroker upgrade... it would be a pretty hot bike..., but still a xr200r. at the minimum, it would be nice to get it back to it's factory fresh glory.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #32
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

OK, got the shock rebuild on the xr200r and figured out the XRL front fork issues and the green sticker on the xr350r. should be all ready for the next enduro (49'er) this weekend. well, I need to take the xr200r into the CHP for a "VIN check" and then go to the DMV and get a plate/greensticker before this weekend in order to run the xr200r, but technically it's all ready to go. the xr350r could use some new tires, especially since it started raining this week, so it could be muddy/snowy this weekend.

now, I need to decide whether to enter the xr200r, maybe in the C-200 class or ride the xr350r in C-senior. next month, I will actually be able to ride as C-SuperSenior... not sure how I feel about that. the Senior, SuperSenior and 200cc are all smallish classes, but seem to have some good riders... all I really care about, is finishing a race without houring out or hurting myself.

I got some gold valves emulators on order, which I may install on the xr200r forks...
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #33
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

yeah ! I now have a plated 1983 XR200R !
Old 10-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #34
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

Getting ready for the 49'er this sunday. Then two more Enduroes each weekend after that before the end of the year. Cowbell and Buckhorn !

I got new action cam (Sony HD Action Cam) and I'm trying to figure how to best mount it. It comes with some sticky pads for mounting it on top of the helmet, but I'm concerned that it will get knocked off. I also think that view is over done. I would like to mount it on the side of my helmet, or on my upper arm, but don't have a good way of mounting it. Eventually, I'd like to have two cams, one pointing forward, and one facing rearward under the seat, I think that would be an exciting view.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #35
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

OK, I finished the 49er with a score under 100 !!! I tried out my Sony HD Action Cam. it worked mostly, but cut out about 2/3 of the way through it. I'm not sure if it overheated or not. here is a small clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwh9PJC9HMo

most of it was tame and the conditions were perfect ! I had a great time.

more to come...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

the conditions for the 49er were almost perfect. the ground was moist from the rains, but not muddy. the temps were
comfortable/cool. there was some snow at higher elevations, but not too bad. only the last section (C-riders) was
snowy/muddy and rocky. this time they had the C-riders only do about 75miles of the course, while the A/B riders did
about 100miles.

I decided to ride the xr200r, since it's a fun bike to rider in tight stuff. people complain about the rocks on this course,
but t wasn't all that bad. the course was pretty easy/tame. there were some uphill rocky section where the sun was in
your eyes, so it was easy not to see some rock or root sticking out, but nothing happened. still having some trouble
with my timekeeping (I keep getting confused and then default to conservative), but I finished the course and turn not
burn any check (lol). I ended up riding with with someone I met during the first enduro I did on the same row and we
finished about the same time, while she did much better than I did. however, her husband broke his collar bone and
was out for the rest of the race. some of the people doing this stuff are really nice.

I did learn about a new way to hurt yourself riding motorcycles... at the gas stop I didn't screw my gas cap on all
the way and gas was spilling out over my legs/crotch area. of course, when we got to higher altitude and cooler air
with the combination of the wind on the faster section, was causing a lot of evaporative cooling of the gas and caused
some pretty severe frostbite. it hurt like hell and I almost froze my balls off, literally.

I went to the Dr. the next day because the areas that hurt the most during the incidence, didn't hurt at all at that point.
he said this was a first for him and diagnosed 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree frost burns. the 3rd degree parts still don't, while
the 1st degree partsare gone and the 2nd degree areas on my inner thighs still hurt a lot... that was the lesson learned
though. I guess this is what enduro is all about, a test of man and machine. you're doing it right when your weekend
activity warrants a Dr's visit...

all in all, besides the burns, I had a great time and I'm happy to have finally finish one. planning on going to cowbell
this weekend, if I recover enough.

cynicwanderer screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 10:44 AM
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #37
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
dang that had to hurt! Nice job on finally finishing one
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #38
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

ok, got xr400 forks, xr400r wheel, maxxis IT tyre.... on my xr350r and took it out for a test ride this morning at the local OHV area. I couldn't do my standard test course to get a time, which is what I use to help evaluate my suspension changes, because they were setting up for this weekend's hare scramble. I would be tempted to enter it, but I have the cowbell enduro this sunday to go to. the xr400 front end felt pretty good, I won't know how it compares to my xr650l front end until I get some timing. I suspect there is not much difference.

I also got my xr650l forks back from a rebuild, but couldn't get the seat for the xr200r recovered in time for this weekend. now I have to decide between the xr350 (with xr400 front) and the xr200 (with xr350 front) for this weekend's ride. I have not ridden there (midcreek above upper clear lake), so I don't know. I asked the local ex enduro champs, and one recommended the xr200 while he other said, I shouldn't have any prorblems with either bike, but probably don't need the horse power of the xr350, just footpeg clearance for some of the rutted out sections. incidentally both the xr200 (thanks to it's smaller engine) and the xr350 have about the same ground clearance. still can't decide. since the xr350 currently had the better time keeping setup, it has a slight advantage for me.

I'm also going to drill vent holes in the camera case, since it tends to fog up and probably overheats in there as well. I plan to use some gortex patching material from REI to cover the holes to keep the majority if the mud/water out of it.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #39
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

cowbell went fine. started on row 87. I rode the xr350 with its new forks. the xr350 can be a fast bike to ride with the stock suspension, but it takes attention to ride it fast. the xr400 forks make it a much faster bike that even takes more attention to ride. it was a relatively tight course, so I didn't push it.

the goal was to finish the enduro, but I got carried away and had some close calls and even a bend handlebar. however, after reviewing my score card, it looks like I may have burned a check by 28mins. YIKES ! (maybe the 58:34 was really a 85.34, since that would have put me only 2 minutes too fast). however, I don't remember ever being ahead at all (especiall 28minutes), since I actually figured out the enduro computer and had correct time. oh well.

lot's of rocky uphills, and loads of really slick loam mud and puddles to slip on. oh... the course was littered with huge waterbars, sometimes dangerously close together, if you're going fast and really deep ruts in places.

the other riders on my row started to wipe out on the first (small) hill we hit, and that's the last I saw of them.

the last few miles were on a flat rear. thank god for rimlocks ! made it back to the finish, even though it made for some interesting uphills with the rear end going everywhere it likes.

oh, and because of my hectic departure and lack of preparations, I forgot my Camelback. only water/gatoraide at the fuel stops (2 stops in 85 ground miles ~4+hrs. someone drank my gatoraide, but another rider gave me his spare. thanks !

figured out the calibrate function on my vintage honda computer, but I missed a turn _before_ the odometer check (dooh), so I ended up not using it. it only works, if you calibrate withing +/-10% of the target mileage (and the test mileahe is actually correct). no biggy, I just the odometer manually and ran it in "uncalibrated" mode.

so:

bike -> flat rear, bend bar

ingo -> nasty chaffing on frost bite sites from last weekend, big lump above my ankle from where my foot got hung up on a rock, re-re-re-pulled muscle in my upper leg trying to recover from a mud induced hiccup. I think that's it.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #40
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

a clip from the enduro. apparently some of the riders had some difficulties on this section. there was a line when I arrived at the bottom and I had enough time to get off the bike and relieve myself, before getting back on to continue. this is the section....

http://youtu.be/YrroUzw_shM

always looks easier on the video, but really didn't have any problems on any of the hilly section, except maybe when there was sun in my eyes and couldn't see the trail.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #41
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

I should clarify that this is the cowbell in california enduro, not up north.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #42
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

the final enduro of the season was the Buckhorn at shasta dam. It was a little surreal getting to the staging area. you have to stop at a guard station and "state your business", show your driver's licence. they will inspect you tag/registration sticker and look under the vehicle, before lowering the anti-terrorist barrier in order to proceed across the dam, where another barrier and guard house awaits.

I arrived before 10pm, found a quiet place to park the truck and went for a walk around the pits. stopped at a fire to chat a little with some of the people who where there. went to back to the truck and went to sleep. I didn't think much of all the bikes with their own space heater running next to them and being covered.

woke up the next morning to a hard frost, over sleeping slightly. I meant to get up around 0600 to register, but slept in until about 0700. key-time was at 0800. went over to registration. a friend who arrived the night before held a spot on her row. turns out there was a mixup and we went back to get it straighten out.

unloaded the bike from the truck, afix'ed my numbers and score card, loaded my jart roll chart and tried to start the bike. it wouldn't... apparently, 20w50 is a little thick during freezing temps and it was hard to kick it over. no worries, got myself ready, had something to eat, went to the bathroom and tried it again. this time it finally started after trying for about 10-15mins... warmed up the bike and proceeded to tech. inspection. I have noted that these go a lot faster now, since I keep the old inspection stickers on the number plate. they probably figure that it's OK, since they didn't bother to do the sound level check.

back to the truck, another bathroom stop, filled my camel back and ate some more clif bars/cookies and drank some sports drinks. adjust my ironman wrist watch on the handlebar to the key time, preset the timer on the Honda enduro computer to 59:00. preseting the time, allows me to to start the time when the row before me leaves. the timer then advances to 00:00 on my row. I didn't bother with the odometer calibration check procedures. the wristwatch is my backup timekeeping device. I set the time so that it reads 8:00 when my row starts.

off to the starting line, reset the odometer back to zero and waiting to start. we start with a little single track section, which promptly drops us into a small quarry, which is laid out like a trial course. this short section was brutal and surely meant to weed out the weak riders so they would not attempt the rest of the race. which is a good thing, since there are certainly some tough section in this enduro. after the quarry, we do some more single track, access roads and a fun canyon single track, back to the pit area, where they ran us through the motocross track and down and up some near verticals. on with more single tracks, access/fire roads and rocky climbs. once climb finished with a small log across the track, pretty tricky. the first 10 miles were pretty uneventful until check #1. then some more access roads and single tracks, a little tight stuff, more rocks... and then the log section. apparently, the lumberjacks forgot to pickup their logs and we had several logs (small and largish) across the track. I biff'ed one log and stalled/flooded the bike, which put behind somewhat. the rest of the logs went OK.

down the hill with some fun switchbacks and rocks and then some virgin event only tight single tracks and more uphill rocky sections. all in all very fun. we finish loop1 in the pits, refuel and take off.

now, here it got weird. the jart shart showed a "restart", however, there was also a check point. I didn't notice the flags, so I still don't know which the restart and which the secret check was. I will have to pay more attention the next time. on a restart, you are allowed to arrive early and wait until your row goes. on a secret, you will get penalized for being early. in any case, I got a 1 on one and a 0 on the other all is well.

now on to bohemoth mountain. some very cool rocky single track high consequence trail and steep uphills and switchbacks. I stalled the bike a couple of times spending some time starting the flooded bike. in one uphill bottleneck I had to wait for two stopped bikes, stalled my bike and had a tip-over. while trying to restart my bike I noticed some spilled oil on some rocks... damn, I put a hole in my clutch cover. luckily it was high and not leaking when the bike was right side up. well, I kept trying to start my bike, while some guys in motorcycle gear was walking up the trail. I asked whether he was OK. apparently, he was OK, but he launched his bike over the cliff and was walking to the next check. yikes.

finally got my bike started and rode carefully to the next check. I checked out the crack some more and decided to quit, while I was ahead and ride out over the fire/access road to the pit area, rather than risking losing more oil on the next tip-over and damaging the bike.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't finish, but overall this ride was a lot of fun. I'll be back next year ! I felt totally comfortable with my timekeeping skills and whenever I thought I was on-time, I caught up with my row mate who was in the exact same place. she was using a checkmate.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #43
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
Sounds like you had a good time up until the clutch cover issue. All of our enduros are the new format so it's good to see the traditional time keeping still alive.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #44
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

yes, I prefer the timekeeper enduros over the national format and I'm happy they still have them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Sounds like you had a good time up until the clutch cover issue. All of our enduros are the new format so it's good to see the traditional time keeping still alive.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #45
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 712
"it hurt like hell and I almost froze my balls off, literally."