Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #61
cynicwanderer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
not sure why the links to the photos went away... I'll have to investigate fix that. I wish advrider still allowed attached photos to the posts. even low-res, it would less of a pain than uploading it to another service and then linking, oh well.

got my head back the friday before fools gold enduro. I didn't bother to get the xr350r ready, since I only had about 36hrs to do it and no time for a test ride. so, I rode the xr200r again.

I checked the valves and it turns out that the intake valve on the xr200r was a bit tight. that would explain, why it had a hard time idling without choke until it was really warmed up. with proper valve lash clearance, it starts and idles when cold. I also adjusted the timing chain.

fools gold was a pleasure. it was a bit dusty this time (it had rained the week before last years event). this year, the event was official and were able to charge for it. last year, they couldn't get the commercial permit and had to depend on donations. I'm sure either way, they have to pay the usage fee to USFS, so I'm glad it was all straightened out this year.

I was able to ride most of the the course with pretty good times, however, at one technical obstacle (I think it's called big sky trail or something), I saw a friend (she started 15rows head of me) with a broken clutch lever/perch. she made a repair, but it was flexing too much, so I stopped and helped out with a bunch of tie wraps. the sweeps stopped by a little later and continued to help out, so I continued on.

turns out one of the sweeps turned off my gas cock on my parked bike, since it was laying on it's side (I had broken the kickstand earlier) and overflowing fuel. thanks. however, I didn't know it was off and went on my way and biiff'ed it on a uphill section when the gas ran out. I smashed my thumb and got a hug bruise under my nail, but collected myself and bike and ontinued on my way. at the next check I was 59.75mins late. I.e. I almost hour'ed out by about 15sec. I was able to make up about 20mins by the end of the race (about 20miles), and finished 40mins late. pretty good finish for me, considering.

early in the race, I hit a root on the side of the trail and popped the kickstand spring off. I had to repair it about three times with tie wraps and then finally, just took the kickstand off all together and tie wrapped it to my frame. I also forgot to turn on my camera until about 1hr into the race, and then popped the camera off my helmet about 20mins later, so I didn't get any spectacular footage of any technical section, just the video of the camera getting smashed by a treet branch.

overall, it felt like a good race and I was comfortable with my odometer/timing skills. I only made one mistake at one of the reset and set my mileage 1mile ahead, which made me about 10 minutes late, slow speed average section (6mph) because of some houses, even though it was a well maintained road.

I had been trying to run since the beginning of the year (2-3 times a week) and I bike at lunch, including a steep highway/railroad overpass. this seems to be helping my cardio. and leg muscle. I don't get as winded in the technical sections or when I drop my bike and pick it up, and I'm able to stand longer and manage whoops better.

I finally got my xr350r together and discovered that someone had jetted the carbs way too lean (two jet sizes). maybe they were compensating for some other faults. e.g. the intake insulator o-rings were bad and tit was sealed with RTV, although a leaky manifold would make it run lean and require richer jets... well, I ordered some jets and upped the primary main jet by one size and went riding at the local OHV park and later trail riding. it was running better, but didn't idle right. last night I changed the jets to the stock sizes and now it runs and idles perfectly.

I also broke some spokes on the xr350r, not sure when/how. four spokes all next to each other. ordered a new spoke set, and found an extra rear wheel in my junk box (of a xr500r), which is the same and fits right on there. the new spokes are stainless from buchanon spokes in LA and should be here soon. I had considered getting a set of 18" spokes to re-lace a 18" rim on the rear, since 17" tire selection is sparse. maybe next time.

rode the junk wheel on a 45mile trail ride with my buddy at foresthill last weekend. we did trail 5, which is normally intermediate, because it has a couple of technical rock sections and some hazards. it had rained a little the night before and the rocks were wet, which turned those obstacles into "expert" level. we made it without breaking anything.

I'm all ready for white horse in 4mos. I think I might head up to oregon this summer to hit some of their events, even though they won't count toward my d36 standings.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote