Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Gentleman Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Questions about a Used Ural side car for sale (hack only)

I'm new to this motorcycle stuff, but I've been lurking for years.
The boss said she would ride in a side car if we had one, so I'm starting the process.

I found this used URAL sidecar, seems a bit overpriced. I'm thinking more like $1200-$1500.
It's from a dealer.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1...nk&vrsn=iframe

I do want an off paved road capable rig, so I'm looking at mating it too an 1100, 1150, 1200 GS series.

Given that background what are your thoughts on this sidecar, pricing, things to check, etc?
Old 06-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Nsfrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
It is NOT Ural. It is Dnepr.
Nsfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Gentleman Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Nsfrt;

Thanks for the reply, a couple questions:

Is it being a Dneper a bad thing? How does it affect the price?
How did you identify it as a Dneper?
Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,224
Dnepr's have more rounded fenders than a Ural and the trunk is accessed by folding the seat back forward rather than a latching lid.

Nothing wrong with the Dnepr sidecar, but the price seems high and it is likely much newer than advertised judging by the signals and the wheel.

I'd offer about half that and not feel too bad if I paid a little more than half IF it is in good shape and IF I really wanted it. But it is worth what the seller can get for it and a solid sidecar under $2000 is not awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Adventurer View Post
Nsfrt;

Thanks for the reply, a couple questions:

Is it being a Dneper a bad thing? How does it affect the price?
How did you identify it as a Dneper?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Gentleman Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Red,
Thanks, I was thinking in the vicinity of $1200 would be fair, less better for me of course.

Glad to see I am not far off.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,645
Quote:
Red,
Thanks, I was thinking in the vicinity of $1200 would be fair, less better for me of course.

Glad to see I am not far off.
Nothing wrong with a Dnepr sidecar.
Actually, as I remember, the frame is a little sturdier, there's a smidge more legroom, it has a lower center of gravity, and there's no trunk lid to leak...
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
Nothing wrong with a Dnepr sidecar.
Actually, as I remember, the frame is a little sturdier, there's a smidge more legroom, it has a lower center of gravity, and there's no trunk lid to leak...
The 1wd units look to be virtually identical except for the trunk, it's the 2wd units that are substantially different to the Dneprs advantage.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,136
Blue Moon is known for being pricey for some stuff. They probably paid $1200 themselves and are trying to make a buck, or it came off a BMW rig they were working on.

Keep in mind that you'll need to make ball type mounts and a subframe for whatever bike you plan to use, or else cut up that frame and weld new mounts on. That could cut into your budget.

http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums...view.asp?fid=9
USCA classified ads are good.

Here's a Ural off-road sidecar $1495:
http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums...osts=8&start=1

Way cooler!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
The 1wd units look to be virtually identical except for the trunk, it's the 2wd units that are substantially different to the Dneprs advantage.
I had a Dnepr MT-11 (1WD) and it was very different than all my Urals. Thicker sheet metal, fatter pipes, and gussets everywhere. Much more heavy-duty.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc View Post
I had a Dnepr MT-11 (1WD) and it was very different than all my Urals. Thicker sheet metal, fatter pipes, and gussets everywhere. Much more heavy-duty.
I know the Dneprs have some gussets, but I never noticed the tubes were thicker, Is that the diameter, or wall thickness?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
Gentleman Adventurer OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the additional information and links.
Atlanta is about 4 hours away, I'm at least going to call them.
Since it seems to be well made, other than a general check for abuse or damage, is there anything in particular I need to look at?

Regarding the ball mounts and frame, I should be able to pick up the correct adapters and sub frame from DMC or C Stanley correct?

Blessings
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 352
Hey buddy, if you're "new to this motorcycle stuff" buying and/or mounting a sidecar is the least of your issues.

First, a sidecar rig is NOT a motorcycle as soon as the sidecar is attached.

Do you have any experience on a motorcycle?

Do you have any idea how DRIVING a hack differs from RIDING a motorcycle?

If not, I'd suggest either getting some serious education - like maybe at Adventure Sidecar in Oregon, or having "the boss" increase your life insurance payout numbers by a huge amount.

Just some friendly advice...
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Marvin and towser
Plain Mr. Botany (B)

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide open View Post
Hey buddy, if you're "new to this motorcycle stuff" buying and/or mounting a sidecar is the least of your issues.

First, a sidecar rig is NOT a motorcycle as soon as the sidecar is attached.

Do you have any experience on a motorcycle?

Do you have any idea how DRIVING a hack differs from RIDING a motorcycle?

If not, I'd suggest either getting some serious education - like maybe at Adventure Sidecar in Oregon, or having "the boss" increase your life insurance payout numbers by a huge amount.

Just some friendly advice...
I should think the less motorcycle experience the better, I nearly crashed my combination several times on my pick it up and drive it home ride due to trying to ride it like a motorcycle. While there is nothing like a combination for handling I think the transition from car to rig may be slightly easier than bike to rig. I had no training when I got my rig but if there was some available even slightly close by I would have (and still would) think it a good idea to take a course.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I know the Dneprs have some gussets, but I never noticed the tubes were thicker, Is that the diameter, or wall thickness?
I remember it being significantly heavier, and at least some of the tubes thicker than the Ural equivalents. I don't have one anymore to compare, but if I had to choose, I'd definitely go with a KMZ chair.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Thanks for all the additional information and links.
Atlanta is about 4 hours away, I'm at least going to call them.
Since it seems to be well made, other than a general check for abuse or damage, is there anything in particular I need to look at?

Regarding the ball mounts and frame, I should be able to pick up the correct adapters and sub frame from DMC or C Stanley correct?

Blessings
I think either one will be able to sell you what you need to mount the chair to a GS. I'm not sure either of those gentlemen use the ball mounts anymore, though. Give them both a call. Either way there's some welding in your future if you are going to build this rig yourself, and use that car. I don't think it's a completely bolt-on proposition.

Is it true you're new to motorcycling completely, or just new to sidecars? A litre-plus GS is a lot of bike to tangle with for a noob, let alone hanging a chair on it. Although, maybe the transition from auto to sidecar is easier if you skip the two-wheeler portion, like a previous poster supposed....

If you can find a STEP sidecar class nearby, maybe taking that is a good first step, before you start dropping serious dough an a GS outfit. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation course would be a requisite, at least.
It's not everyone's cup o' tea, after all. Plus, they're harder to sell after they've been crashed.