Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,645
Suppose that this is the BMW Telelever version of Cosmoline?
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
roger_roger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undermoose View Post
Hi, I'm not rushing to conclusions, though I will call the dealer tomorrow. The thought has crossed my mind that "everything is just breaking in" and it'll stop. When the weekend comes I'll take it for a few hundred miles again and see what's what, but the pendulum is swinging towards "problem" at the moment.
hell, is take it to the dealer regardless of what anybody on this forum says. You paid $20 grand for the bike it should be flawless and if not, then the dealer should make it that way! Money doesn't grow on trees....at least not here in Seattle, but that may be because we don't get enough sun!
roger_roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
Undermoose OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_roger View Post
hell, is take it to the dealer regardless of what anybody on this forum says. You paid $20 grand for the bike it should be flawless and if not, then the dealer should make it that way! Money doesn't grow on trees....at least not here in Seattle, but that may be because we don't get enough sun!
I called them first thing and they asked me to stop by so they could inspect. I also made a repair appointment for July 3rd. I suspect it won't just go away, and it'll get repaired if it doesn't. They agreed it should not leak.

Undermoose screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 12:41 PM
Undermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #19
Undermoose OP
Adventurer

Eek Shake it loose!

I'm not entirely sure what to think now...

1100 miles my forks had fluid at the seal, wiped clean, and while not as bad still seems to be making the forks wet. July 3rd repair scheduled.

Now at 1500 miles my FD has a slightly wet film of grime along and inside of the hole coming from apparently the lip of the black ring.

I'm thinking I should I just wait for 6k service and see if it all works itself out. Seals don't normally dry up though once they start flowing...

Is this all normal for a brand new bike's first 1500 miles?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
StellerBeemer
n00b

Oddometer: 6
All good thoughts there. It's doubtful that much damage will occur if in first 6k with such minimal leakage. I'd imagine BMW will cover anything out of spec. for your new machine if there's oil leaking from seals at such an early mileage. What's your mileage now? It is, after all, a BMW. That is why we would ever consider a new machine.

WARRANTEE = peace of mind.
StellerBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
Undermoose OP
Adventurer

Bluhduh Perhaps, perhaps not, perhaps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerBeemer View Post
All good thoughts there. It's doubtful that much damage will occur if in first 6k with such minimal leakage. I'd imagine BMW will cover anything out of spec. for your new machine if there's oil leaking from seals at such an early mileage. What's your mileage now? It is, after all, a BMW. That is why we would ever consider a new machine.

WARRANTEE = peace of mind.
Two and a half months since purchase and three visits to the dealership an hour away...

The bike got dropped off 8/18 and after some back and forth with BMW, initial claim denied because they say they allow weeping but not leaking of seals, the dealer informs me BMW is replacing the forks.

I get the bike back next week...
Old 08-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
... after some back and forth with BMW, initial claim denied because they say they allow weeping but not leaking of seals, the dealer informs me BMW is replacing the forks....
Undermoose, can you please the process of your back and forth - were you talking to the dealer who was talking to BMW, or were you talking to BMW, etc?

Unfortunately, the consumer must now expect to have to struggle with BMW to get their warranties enforced. I've had a similar experience (denying the claim then "doing me a favor" by replacing the defective part) with my BMW car.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
Undermoose OP
Adventurer

Bluhduh I'll comment when it's complete, but for hr moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
Undermoose, can you please the process of your back and forth - were you talking to the dealer who was talking to BMW, or were you talking to BMW, etc?

Unfortunately, the consumer must now expect to have to struggle with BMW to get their warranties enforced. I've had a similar experience (denying the claim then "doing me a favor" by replacing the defective part) with my BMW car.
The process has been to not let go of the complaint with my dealer, who has been very supportive, and made the initial claim on fork sliders after my 3rd visit on the issue. BMW denied the dealer's claim stating that they allowed weeping, but not leaking. In my case it's been clearly leaking, beads of oil appearing at the seal and oil running up the slider to the tree.

It amazes me in this day and age that this problem continues, it has historical reference from many posts on the Internet over the years. It's also clear most BMW's with this type of suspension do not suffer from the problem. My friend's BMW's do not, and every BMW I've inspected at my dealer's shop waiting on service have been clean. I did see the problem on an R1200R once though at another dealer.

I am a bit frustrated I've had to deal with this issue on a brand new $20,000 motorcycle, it's caused me several visits to my dealer, perceived frustration with me as a customer, and now the loss of the bike for two weeks in prime riding weather...

I'll report back after the job is complete.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Two and a half months since purchase and three visits to the dealership an hour away...

The bike got dropped off 8/18 and after some back and forth with BMW, initial claim denied because they say they allow weeping but not leaking of seals, the dealer informs me BMW is replacing the forks.

I get the bike back next week...
Wow, replacing the forks for a seal leak? Seems to be a rash of recent issues..I'm thinking they got a bad batch of seals or they have been putting too much oil in them. But the fact that they are replacing the fork indicates that perhaps there is another issue more significant than the seals.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #25
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what to think now...

1100 miles my forks had fluid at the seal, wiped clean, and while not as bad still seems to be making the forks wet. July 3rd repair scheduled.

Now at 1500 miles my FD has a slightly wet film of grime along and inside of the hole coming from apparently the lip of the black ring.

I'm thinking I should I just wait for 6k service and see if it all works itself out. Seals don't normally dry up though once they start flowing...

Is this all normal for a brand new bike's first 1500 miles?
This it is probably a motorcycle that belong to the "Tuesday after long week-end production line".....

If another problem arise in the near future, I would take it back and ask for a replacement......
Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #26
Undermoose OP
Adventurer

Eek If this same problem happens again, it is exactly what I will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolik37 View Post
This it is probably a motorcycle that belong to the "Tuesday after long week-end production line".....

If another problem arise in the near future, I would take it back and ask for a replacement......
I've had enough visits to BMW repair shop for the same issue that if it happens again I will absolutely be invoking the lemon law in the state of CT.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
Undermoose OP
Adventurer

Cool2 Done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Wow, replacing the forks for a seal leak? Seems to be a rash of recent issues..I'm thinking they got a bad batch of seals or they have been putting too much oil in them. But the fact that they are replacing the fork indicates that perhaps there is another issue more significant than the seals.
Forks replaced.

Stormy day so only 50 miles since pick up, but so far no leaking.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #28
The Evil Twin
Boxer Freak

Oddometer: 451
Questions (because I'm a Telelever n00b):
1) The forks have oil in them? I thought they were empty sliders because the Telelever uses a shock.
2) Did they replace the forks, or the seals only? Seals are a fairly quick and easy job, but not as quick as slapping a new fork on.
Thanks. Just trying to learn
CCS #132 Sponsors: DC-Moto.net, Amsoil, Manassas Honda Kawasaki, MARRC
2013 Amateur of the Year
2013 RCGT #6 Overall Mid Atlantic
2012 Cornerworker of the Year

The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #29
Undermoose OP
Adventurer

Cool2 There's oil & they replaced the entire set of fork

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Questions (because I'm a Telelever n00b):
1) The forks have oil in them? I thought they were empty sliders because the Telelever uses a shock.
2) Did they replace the forks, or the seals only? Seals are a fairly quick and easy job, but not as quick as slapping a new fork on.
Thanks. Just trying to learn
The forks have oil for lubrication.

They replaced the seals first, after that reseated the new seals once, after that took pictures for BMW and took forks apart.

Three weeks later my bike is returned to me, "new forks sir". I watched them affix the new VIN sticker and drove
it home.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #30
The Evil Twin
Boxer Freak

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
The forks have oil for lubrication.

They replaced the seals first, after that reseated the new seals once, after that took pictures for BMW and took forks apart.

Three weeks later my bike is returned to me, "new forks sir". I watched them affix the new VIN sticker and drove
it home.
Gotcha. Thanks, I haven't quite fully gotten to understand my little moose yet. Sounds like a tube was not true if new seals leaked, or they were damaged on install. I've done that Happy you now have your ride back!
CCS #132 Sponsors: DC-Moto.net, Amsoil, Manassas Honda Kawasaki, MARRC
2013 Amateur of the Year
2013 RCGT #6 Overall Mid Atlantic
2012 Cornerworker of the Year

The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote