Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #31
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
+1 on Smartwool. Here in Southern California, in summer or winter, when riding a motorcycle I always wear Smartwool 100% Merino wool socks. They have different type, and I have two different kinds that I wear, both as good.

On a hot day riding all day long, when I take my foot out, it is dry. I don't find them warm or hot in this hit climate zone. They wick moisture very well.

I once rode in rain all day, at the end put my boots on the heating/air conditioning unit along with my washed sock in the hotel. Socks were nicely dried. Boots were still wet. I used the air dryer to dry it further.

Further, I wear Smartwool Tee-Shirts also, along with their underpants . I wear leather pants, with Smartwool underpants to wick moisture. Very effective. Also net that Smartwool Tee-Shirts pack smaller than cotton.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #32
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Wicked old socks

I bring my oldest socks on all my trips. Wear them until you can stand the stench, throw them away and put on another pair. Less stuff to wash. I do the same with underwear and T-shirts. Always keep a super clean set for dinner or in case you invited into some ones house.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
chewnaut
Rob

Oddometer: 71
Fits socks

I'm a Wildland firefighter and can wear my Fits socks for 5 days in a row. More specifically I don't take them off once for five days. I sleep in them and sweat in them for 16 hrs a day while standing on hot ambers and carrying 50 lbs of gear, while wearing Whites Smokejumper boots! No smells, no blisters, no foot rot, simply amazing. Also I've tried smartwool, thorlo, and Patagonia brands. None compared to Fits comfort, durability, breath ability, insulation. Just try a pair on and you'll understand the comfort immediately.
chewnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #34
greywolves
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewnaut View Post
I'm a Wildland firefighter and can wear my Fits socks for 5 days in a row. amazing. None compared to Fits comfort, durability, breath ability, insulation. Just try a pair on and you'll understand the comfort immediately.
Got ONE "Style" in mind? I just looked and saw - medium "Hiker", light "Hiker", runners, etc.?

Thanks for this thread (pun intended)!!!

Always looking for a GREAT pair of socks because i wear 14DD shoes and MOST don't wear well OR last long...
greywolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
MadtownMaxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
+1 for wool

+1 for wool of appropriate thickness/layers. For my mileage Icebreaker > Smartwool especially on wear/longevity. Equally as soft. Pricey up front but good value over their life. Ibex is another long wearing line but I find it slightly less comfortable.
Hot/warm temps = liner weights. Double them up with a second light weight or add a heavier weight or simply replace them with a heavier weight to cover a wide range of temps.
I like over-the-calf length (or "ski" length) regardless of the boot height I wear (but mostly my boots = vendramini marathons).

All my first layers - sox, shorts & shirt - are Icebreaker (ultra-fine merino) wool when on IBA rides, camping rides, etc. Next layer up I often switch to synthetics. This combo prevents stink, is great wicking and offers great body temp regulation, warm or cold weather.

I do recommend cleaning wool clothing with wool-specific detergents: Nikwax, McNett, etc. Which you can tote along in small amounts for occasional hand washing in a basin.

Enjoy your trip,
IBA #47605
MadtownMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #36
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
If you have not tried the coconut socks road gear sells I recommend giving them a try.
I have used the two pair I have for both riding and hiking for the last 3 year.
They still look and feel new and after a few days of continuous wear they could still go for a few more days.
There spendy but they have been the socks I have owned.

Sean

chokozip screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:14 PM Reason: Hooked on phonics
chokozip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Whatever you're going to wear bring extra. Seriously bring more than you think you'll need. If you think you need 5 bring 10, you'll never regret having more clean dry socks.

I'd have to disagree.

Bring the least possible, ESPECIALLY with the TAT. More items are only the next town away if needed.

I used two pairs of riding socks for 5 months on the road. I used the Ice Breaker Morino Wool socks. Lightweight ski socks.

Worked great. Yes, they are expensive as all hell, but to this day I'm still using them for riding and snowboarding.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #38
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Thumb charcoal insoles

Cure the boot smell with charcoal insoles - about $5 or less at anyplace like Walgreen's Wally World. For me, they last about a month of riding every day in >85F summer temps. Take'em with you to Europe and after about a month, just put in the spares. Your friends will thank you at the end of the day.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote