ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #271
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Question for LnC

In the above post, when you refer to the judgement tree being west of the river, are you referring to the Defiance side of the river where it is running generally north south at that point? There was a Judgement Tree at the Boone house the ladies showed me, but also said there was another one if I went thru Defiance. I had a very limited amount of time to make it from there up to Louisiana to a friends grave (he wasn't going anywhere, but the sun was getting low). I have a picture of the tree at the house (well, the log that is left) but is on the SD card at work. Will post it tomorrow. But would like to know how to find the other tree if I get back up there.
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #272
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Location of Judgement Tree

This one is close to the huge power plant smoke stacks...it is on the same side as Defiance, Missouri. As you probably know their is no bridge across the Missouri except 50+ miles away.

It is right along the side of the Katy Trail I'd guess SE of Defiance. It is close to Augusta, Dartmond, and Augusta Bottoms. You can see it from the road paralleling Katy Trail...it is roughly 200 yards across a corn field. From what I heard from local hikers on the Katy Trail this was his main Judgement Tree though there was another one closer to his house later on. Pretty informal form of justice though may have been more just than what we sometimes have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG DONGER View Post
In the above post, when you refer to the judgement tree being west of the river, are you referring to the Defiance side of the river where it is running generally north south at that point? There was a Judgement Tree at the Boone house the ladies showed me, but also said there was another one if I went thru Defiance. I had a very limited amount of time to make it from there up to Louisiana to a friends grave (he wasn't going anywhere, but the sun was getting low). I have a picture of the tree at the house (well, the log that is left) but is on the SD card at work. Will post it tomorrow. But would like to know how to find the other tree if I get back up there.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 05:46 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #273
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Cheyenne Arapaho Cattle Ranch

If you haven't read "Empire of the Summer Moon" I highly recommended reading it. Gives you a better appreciation of the Great Plains as you are crossing them. This sign is just east of the Black Kettle National Grasslands on OK 33, I think...

LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #274
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 6,115
Council Grove.

Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #275
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

I think I met this guy, the Hermit.

Interesting marker about the Hermit.

Similarities in appearance are striking.

Heading down the Continental Divide over Gibbons Pass (right on the Montana & Idaho state line) in 2007 (yes, part of the Lewis and Clark Trail) I ran across this guy...

Literally must have been 20 miles from the nearest civilization. His name was Bill and was a true hermit living in a 10 by 8 foot immobile mobile home. Fricking living conditions were amazing....and he was very content with his lifestyle. Trailer had only one little corner for him to lay down to sleep.

Bill, the Hermit walked once or twice a month to the nearest store to fetch cigarettes and beer.

I saw this happen so I know it is true: Bill had trained his pure bred Black Lab companion to retrieve trout from a nearby stream. When his dog saw a trout it barked like crazy, pointed, caught the trout and dropped his catch on the banks for Bill. Bill's main source of food was trout and deer he shot. When I ran across Bill he was rolling a cigarette, drinking a cup of coffee, and sipping a beer and the Black Lab was out (working) trout fishing.

Spent about 2 hours with Bill and hated to have to leave. He made my "Readers Digest" Top 100 most interesting people I ever met...

Ran in to these Pronghorn within a mile of his place.

And these within 100 yards of his place.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 05:38 PM
Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #276
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
sb... Well that's an interesting historical marker/site.

lc... In a way, Bill is a living marker of some kind.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #277
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
I once had a sofa like that, but my lab only retrieved tennis balls.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #278
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Now that is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
I once had a sofa like that, but my lab only retrieved tennis balls.

I had a sofa like that too but my Dobermans couldn't retrieve a bad cold.

If you will note, Bill had all his valuables roped up in a tree in the background. One looked to be a plastic bag of water with a couple of live trout in the bag.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 05:39 PM
Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #279
Sod Buster
prairie rider

LC, old Bill does look a lot Like Giovanni Agostini, and he looks pretty content with his life, seems old Bills living life his way. An interesting book I read a while back called American Nomads by Richard Grant reminds me of Bill.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #280
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

You got it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
LC, old Bill does look a lot Like Giovanni Agostini, and he looks pretty content with his life, seems old Bills living life his way. An interesting book I read a while back called American Nomads by Richard Grant reminds me of Bill.
Felt a little sorry for him....then

Got home, looked back at these pictures,,,and thought what a good life, no traffic, no 'lectric or water bills to pay. "No dental care" to deal with....I do think I was born in the wrong century.

I have been back to Bill's place twice in the past 5 yrs and he's moved on to somewhere else.

In the 2 hrs I was with him it was quickly obvious he had an advance education....and was just living life his way.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #281
Sod Buster
prairie rider

I take SPACE to be the central fact to man born in America, from Folsom cave to now. I spell it large because it comes large here. Large and without mercy ... some men ride on such space, others have to fasten themselves like a tent stake to survive.

Charles Olson

But there are things which you have said to me which I do not like. They were not sweet like sugar, but bitter like gourds. You have said that you want to put us on reservations, to build us houses and make us medicine lodges (hospitals). I do not want them. I was born upon the prairie, where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no enclosures and everything drew a free breath. I want to die there and not within walls.

Ten Bears (Comanche) at Treaty of Medicine Lodge, Kansas 1867
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #282
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
This is in an area we call Dog Valley near Lake Tahoe. We have not explored much around here even though it is only about an hour away. Might head out there this weekend to find another marker or two.
About the Truckee Trail:
The Truckee Trail, as the Truckee River Route of the California Trail is called, is historic in that it was the first wagon road opened over the Sierra Nevada. It was opened in 1844-45 by the Elisha Stephens party which consisted of 11 wagons, 26 men, 8 women and 16 children. This party was guided by Caleb Greenwood, an old mountain man, who was assisted at a critical time near the Humboldt Sink by a Paiute Indian chief who the emigrants called “Truckee.”

This was on a trip last weekend near Lassen Park which is a little closer than Lake Tahoe. Not the first Nobles Trail marker we have come across. There is another right along the road to our house and several more out in the Black Rock Desert.
About the Nobles Trail:
In the spring of 1852, William Nobles convinced the merchants of Shasta City, near present day Redding, California, that he had discovered a viable wagon road to their thriving town. Nobles proceeded to show them the new wagon route that initially branched off the Applegate Trail at Black Rock and headed southwest across the Black Rock and Smoke Creek Deserts to Honey Lake Valley and Susanville. From there the trail continued westerly through forested and volcanic country, finally descending to the upper end of the Sacramento Valley at Shasta City. The Nobles Trail proved to be one of the easiest of all the wagon routes into northern California and received heavy use in subsequent years.

PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #283
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Dog Valley is really close to the Donner's Pass

Well relatively close...

The Calilfornia Trail and Sacramento routes were scattered all over trying to get thru Truckee to Sacramento...and over the snowed in mountains. The Donner's Pass group ran into the mountains east of Truckee, major snow storm, most died from a brutal winter storm. Went by Donner Pass on June 7th, 2012 and was side tracked with the weather.

Donner's Pass Marker:

The Donner's Pass people got into disputes and if anyone died...they were so desperate they ate them. Interesting museum there.

Bad view of a CaliforniaTrail Map at the Donners Pass Museum, with estimates of where scouts got over the mtns to Truckee and Sacramento.

Route from Donner's Pass to Truckee, Calif on June 7th, 2012. Surprisingly not cold.

Replica of wagon at Donner's Pass visitors center;

LewisNClark screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 08:40 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #284
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 411
Adamsville, Texas

Working on a new patch for my motorcycle group. Have to take a pic of my bike in front of 25 different historical markers in Texas. It's fun riding to them and then getting off the bike to read a little of the history of Texas...

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #285
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 411
Battle Branch near Lampasas, Texas

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote