ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Real well A mile away.

I never pass a historical marker either....in fact I'd be headed thru a row of corn to look for the well. The majority of the thousands of Lewis and Clark markers are from 1 to 14 miles from where the event actually happened....visible to the tourist, and protective of the property owner. I've never had a farmer object for crossing a field, they usually want to go with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
Good stuff, I can't pass a historical marker without stoping.

If I do pass one I end up turning around.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
OH_Wahoo
It's always time to

Oddometer: 163
OH_Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post
Marker of Ohio Confluence into the Mississippi:

Ahh, great memories of a ride east, and pausing at Cairo. But didn't know Lewis and Clark camped there. Here is the bottom ten feet of Illinois, with the Mississippi on the right and the Ohio on the left merging like two big massive moving lakes. Quite impressive, if not intimidating on this fittingly gray and rainy day...
Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
Good stuff, I can't pass a historical marker without stoping.

If I do pass one I end up turning around.

Same here. So there were two Buffalo Bills!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #20
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdOriginal View Post
Was there last month...east of Reno, NV ... I think

Registry Rock: This big rock is just off the interstate but sort of hidden. As Oregon and Emigrant pioneer/settlers travels along the Oregon Trail they used this rock to note their names so others coming behind them could see that they made it that far. There are hundreds if not thousands of names on Registry Rock. Pioneers used it as a landmark and knew it was ahead on the trail and were looking for it. Apparently it was right on the Oregon Trail. If I'm not mistaken Donners Pass was west of Registry Rock about 100 miles.
Ed... I never knew there was such a thing as a Registry Rock. Gotta go tell my wife.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #21
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Ed... I never knew there was such a thing as a Registry Rock. Gotta go tell my wife.
There is the registry cliffs that are closer to you http://www.wyomingheritage.org/registerCliff.html
If you haven't seen them they would be worth the ride up. The wagon ruts are pretty cool also.

guess I should add a picture :)

Indian prayer site and camp site
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #22
sfarson OP
On a Ride

JW... Thanks for the registry cliffs info! What is the location of your signs? Interesting to note the date of Jul 8, 1869, for just a few days later the Cheyenne Dog Soldiers and Tall Bull meet their end at the Battle of Summit Springs in Colorado.

An "interpretive" map provided by Lt. North...

Can see the cleft or "canyon" on the hillside, along with markers in the foreground. One marks the location of Tall Bull's tee-pee where he planted a tomahawk in the forehead of one of the women kidnapped from Kansas at the beginning of the surprise attack by the 5th Calvary. Buffalo Bill, is the one who had a hunch where they would be encamped, in this shallow valley...

Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,693
Quote:
Same here. So there were two Buffalo Bills!

Actually three, Buffalo Bill Mathewson was the first and allways was some what pissed at Cody over him taking the name, in later years Cody would give Mathewson a set of Colts to ease the pain.
http://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/willi...athewson/12141

The other Buffalo Bill was William Comstock who Cody had a Buffalo hunting contest with near Oberlin Kansas, in order to see who would carry the handle Buffalo Bill. Comstock was known as Medicine Bill.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=6306111

JW, Tobe Zweygardt's Historical markers are some of the coolest, the guy took it upon himself to not let these places be forgotten.
http://www.grassrootsart.net/Art/TobeZweygardt.html

Sod Buster screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 08:11 AM
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Do you ever pause for historical markers? Ever pull over for some kind of interpretive sign? Any photos of them, or can you capture some? Ahhh, for the historical mini-lessons, post them here, and get out there and take some pics of them.

On U.S. 159 just after crossing the Missouri River into Nebraska. Guess Lewis & Clark was serious about the night watchman staying awake...
I grew up near there and one summer we went canoeing down the Nemaha trying to find the inscription.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406

Old 06-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #26
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,693
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
An entire thread devoted to PA historical markers.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441765
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Here is one from out west in Northern California. This road follows along part of the Middle Fork of the Feather River. It is 30 miles south of Quincy, CA. This little route is a cool 30 mile paved road of curves, with a few switchbacks here and there. GOLD was prevalent in this area, either by mining or panning. Here a few photos from about 3 weeks ago.

The actual town of La Porte is well preserved. Did not get any worthy photos.

PinkPillion screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 06:20 PM
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
JW... Thanks for the registry cliffs info! What is the location of your signs? Interesting to note the date of Jul 8, 1869, for just a few days later the Cheyenne Dog Soldiers and Tall Bull meet their end at the Battle of Summit Springs in Colorado.

Just to the north of a little town in Northwest Kansas called St Francis.

Indeed Sod Buster, I know Tobe. My only regret is that I never did record one of his tours. It would have been nice to have a his tour in audio format that you could have downloaded to an MP3 player. He hasn't given a tour for years now.

Same place as the indian on the hill

Cherry Creek encampment

I've been wanting to check out the Summit Springs site.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
About 20 historical markers within 100 yards

Few places will have as many markers as this ONE BLOCK of West Point, Kentucky. (must be 40 miles southwest of Louisville, and only a few miles from Fort Knox (where the GOLD IS).

First, Private John Shields was one of the most important members of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. He was their blacksmith, welder, gunsmith, tool maker, and one, if not their best, hunter. L & C both ask congress to pay him double pay because of his sacrifices and for doing more than his share of work during the Expedition. Both L & C knew they would have probably starved in Idaho without Shields craftsmanship with very primitive tools, an anvil, emery wheel, a few hammers and files. He made fishhooks and tools for the Indians in trade for food (roots & fish) and on a daily basic repaired muskets between hunting for deer and elk.

This is John Shields' house built in the early 1800's. No doubt it has been remodeled several times. It is currently being lived in. When Lewis and Clark headed up the Ohio to start the Expedition it is believed that they stopped by the banks of the Ohio River behind Shields' house to pickup Shields and the Field brothers who joined the Expedition. About 9 members of the 32 members lived in this general area of Kentucky...all were excellent hunters with no schooling of any kind.

30 yards from Shields' house is the house of President Lincoln's father: Thomas Lincoln was a trader of produce and used the road beside Shields' house to load his fruits and vegetables on to a barge headed to New Orleans. Down the Ohio to the Mississippi to (probably Natchez, Mississippi).

Civil War Hospital – This building served as a hospital, jail, and court house during the Civil War. (two houses from Pvt Shields house). The Civil War hospital is now a residence. Talked to the 89 yr old lady that lives there.

General Sherman's Civil War Headquarters: Sherman established this house as his Civil War HQ's since it was next to the prison and hospital, and had access to the Ohio River 50 yards away.

Sherman's Headquarters:

Marker in front of the main road to the Ohio River where Civil War and 1800 era cargo was loaded on keelboats and barges to head for the Mississippi River.

And downtown main street thru West Point, Kentucky is the stagecoach line that ran from Nashville, Tennessee to Louisville, Kentucky from 1750 to 1880. This stagecoach route began at Nashville and was
used to connect to the historical Natchez Trace (Trail). The Natchez was however several thousand years old and was originally an animal trail.

All of these markers are within 100 yards of each other.

Shields is buried in a very small cemetery directly across the Ohio River behind his house.

Private Shields died in 1809, only 3 years after the completion of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. About 1/2 of the 32 members of the Expedition were deceased within 9 years after the Expedition.

West Point, KY is an amazing little town full of American history. Most houses are pre-Civil War era.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 01:36 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote