ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #91
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

The top of the monument that appears to be broken off is actually the original design and represents a life tragically ended too soon. I felt rather inadequate on my first visit nearly 30 years ago. That didn't change much this trip as I read a list of his accomplishments, all complete at such an early age.

A young girl with her family visiting the site while I was there, told a story of him being buried with his dog. Are any of you familiar with this??
Old 06-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #92
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Georgia Guide Stones

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Photobucket

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #93
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Civil War in Arkansas

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #94
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Buried with his dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

A young girl with her family visiting the site while I was there, told a story of him being buried with his dog. Are any of you familiar with this??
I'm very familiar with this dog story. It's a long story, but for 6 months, 3 yrs ago, I was involved with Kira Gales' book about Lewis death. I helped her promote her book about 3 yrs ago. Books easy to order via Amazon. Ms. Gales theory is that Seaman (Lewis's dog) was with him when he died,or committed suicide. Kira's book's theory is that Lewis was murdered. Most evidence is he committed suicide.

Seaman statue in Salmon, Idaho:

If Seaman was with him on the Natchez he either wandered off or something else happened to him. She and I totally disagree on this!

Lewis and Seaman were inseparable for the 2 & 3/4ths of a year during the Expedition. All the ones (6 guys) writing Journals (diaries) about the Expedition frequently mentioned how valuable Seaman was 24 hrs a day guarding their campsites and gear...fiercely barking at buffalo, wolves, bear and Indians that approached their campsites. Seaman specifically hated the sight of buffalo and would chase any he saw...he was a retriever by breed.

On their return home in May 1806, Lewis camped west of Helena, MT in what is now the tiny town of Orlivado (sp?). On that day Lewis wrote in his journal that he was concerned that Seaman had been gone since the last evening chasing a large herd of buffalo. Lewis wrote that Seaman had been lost before and always caught up the next day. BTW, Clark was 500 miles away heading in another direction on the Yellowstone River.

Where Seaman was last seen chasing a herd of buffalo according to Lewis' journal:

Seaman Creek - According to Lewis's journal this is where they camped when at Seaman Creek. Very pretty campsite...and today an excellent trout stream.

Marker describing the last sighting of Seaman; as they left this campsite. Lewis wrote in his journal he called the creek where Seaman went missing, "Seaman Creek". To me this shows Lewis' concern that Seaman might be missing for good. Lewis and his party were under a lot of pressure to meet Clark and the rest of the party at Reunion Bay in North Dakota and had to leave for Cutbank, MT in order to meet Clark on schedule.

Seaman was never mentioned in their journals again...ever.

Three weeks later, Lewis, two Field brothers, and Drouillard were searching for the infamous Northwest Passage in northern Montana, 15 miles from Canada (today's Cutbank, Montana).....and in the middle of the night 3 teenaged Blackfoot Indians tried to pull Rubin Field's rifle from his side as he slept. The point....if Seaman had caught up with Lewis and his party...he would have raised all kinds of hell...

Field awoke, startled and pulled his knife and stabbed the kid in the heart, killing him instantly..as simultaneously Lewis shot and killed another of the teens, as the other teen escaped into the darkness...if Seaman had been there he would have "retrieved him".

Clark once wrote how he shot a full grown deer but it escaped across a river. Half an hour later, Seaman had not only caught the alive but wounded deer and with his webbed feet was swimming from across the river with the wounded deer in his mouth...dragging the full size deer to Clark's feet.

I have no doubt that if Seaman was not lost he would have been all over the 3 Indian teens. None of the Expedition members ever wrote about Seaman after the Expedition. All 32 of the Expedition members called Seaman "our dog" in their journals...they were quite attached to him.

Lewis wrote a touching paragraph about Seaman's loyalty after his return from the Expedition...but I'm pretty confident he was lost at Orvilean (spelling??) chasing a herd of buffalo. Pictures later when I have access to them...

Lewis' remains were exummed once before and nothing was mentioned about Seaman's remains being in his grave.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about my theory...have traveled to all of the sites in MT, Cutbank, & Natchez.

Lewis' wrote this inscription for Seaman's colar: (FOR THE DOG LOVERS)

LewisNClark screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 04:33 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #95
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Lewis wrote a touching paragraph about Seaman's loyalty after his return from the Expedition...but I'm pretty confident he was lost at Orvilean (spelling??) chasing a herd of buffalo. Pictures later when I have access to them...

Lewis' remains were exummed once before and nothing was mentioned about Seaman's remains being in his grave.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about my theory...have traveled to all of the sites in MT, Cutbank, & Natchez.

Lewis' inscription for Seaman's colar: (FOR THE DOG LOVERS)
[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thank you. Another remarkable story that comes out of events of Lewis and Clark's lives.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #96
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,736
Sod Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #97
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
L&C... Simply excellent perspective and thought and tribute on Seaman, along with related images! The Stephen Ambrose book notes the value of Seaman well, but your contributions here take it to the next level.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #98
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer: 328
Death of Pretty Boy Floyd - Clarkson Ohio

Death of Pretty Boy Floyd
Clarkson, Ohio
N 40 42.85 W 080 35.3

Believed to be returning to his home in the Cookson Hills of Oklahoma after a year of hiding, Floyd and his partner, Adam Richetti, had attracted the attention of local police near Wellsville, Ohio. A shoot-out ensued, resulting in Richetti's capture and Floyd's escape.

Agent Melvin Purvis supervised the three-day manhunt, which ended here when eight lawmen ended Floyd's life of violence. "Pretty Boy's" body was placed on public display in East Liverpool before being returned to Oklahoma for burial. LINK

cakmakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #99
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,394
This memorial to miners killed in a cave-in is in the hills above the Valley View Hot Springs near Villa Grove, CO.

I find it especially moving because it appears to have been erected by co-workers of the lost men and has been treated respectfully for over a hundred years. My crappy old laptop screen isn't clear enough to make out the words. Perhaps someone would list them.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #100
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
This memorial to miners killed in a cave-in is in the hills above the Valley View Hot Springs near Villa Grove, CO.

I find it especially moving because it appears to have been erected by co-workers of the lost men and has been treated respectfully for over a hundred years. My crappy old laptop screen isn't clear enough to make out the words. Perhaps someone would list them.

six dead
ghosts are in tunnel

Thats the best I could make out.
Spirit_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #101
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post

This one reminds me of this stone carved by Rail Road workers for a crew of 7 that were killed near Victoria Kansas by a War Party of Cheyenne in August of 1867, they are buried along side the tracks just south of Victoria. The seventh man managed to walk back into Fort Hays shot and scalped, he died at the fort.

And a memorial placed by the Union Pacific in which was highly unusual for the RR, most laborers just received a shallow grave along the tracks.

There are only 11 graves in this small cemetery, the six track workers and 5 typhoid victims. RR tracks are visible just across the road.

Sod Buster screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 04:46 PM
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #102
Sod Buster
prairie rider

The other marker in this small prairie cemetery. They were buried here beside the Rail Road workers instead of the Victoria cemetery because of the fear of Typhoid.

Sod Buster screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 03:22 PM
Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #103
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Sorry, I forgot to post the text to the carved stone. It says much more than the Union Pacific plaque, the UP Memorial was more to play up the fact that the RR wanted government troops protecting their intrests, the U.P. didn't haul that huge chunk of rock, onto the frontier out of the goodness of their hearts. This little Grave Yard would have been pointed out to everyone headed west to Denver on the U.P. The Indians never had a chance, the U.P. probably got its moneys worth out of these graves! Sits right on a elavated knoll right beside the tracks. The carver Dock Williams was probably a friend of Hugh McDonaugh whose grave it marked. I guess a real friend would carve your headstone.

IN MEMORAIM of Mr. McDONNEY.
FIVE (?) . . . PERSONS HERE TO. ME. UNKNOWN.
TO THIER MEMORY
WE CARVED THIS STONE.
KILLED BY
INDIANS
IN THE YEAR 1867
Dock William
carver

Sod Buster screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 04:36 PM
Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #104
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Billy the Kid - "Well done, or baked"

I've always wanted to see this (western history buff) so yesterday went 200 miles out of my way to Fort Sumner, New Mexico. My thermometer showed 108 degrees.

Marker: His marker is illusive because it has been stolen twice. Once a gang of teens from California stole it but the local sheriff recovered it. It is now surrounded by an iron fence.

Grave:

Heat reflecting off the dirt was unbearable.

Rough map (don't follow unless you like being lost).

Stinking Springs:
Billy had escaped the law (Pat Garrett) and was hiding in a tiny cabin in the middle of this prairie in a location called Stinking Springs. Billy's girlfriend's brother (didn't like Billy), spilled the beans and told Garrett where he was hiding. Garret showed up with a possey and Billy had no escape, so surrendered and faced trial for multiple murders.

Awaiting linching, Billy asked to go to the john and over took a deputy, while the other deputy was having breakfast. When the deputy heard the gun fire, he ran from the restaurant across the street and was gundown from an upstairs windows by Billy who had the deputy's shotgun.

Garrett caught up with Billy at his girlfriend's fathers house a few months later and shot him in the back in the middle of the night.

View of Stinking Springs as it looks today.

Billy was born in New York City, moved with family to Kansas and all over the midwest and was orphaned at 14 yrs old...not necessarily a fast gun slinger, but would walk up and shoot someone at the drop of a hat, often laughing about it. Seemed more of a bully than gunslinger...but died a hero in southwest New Mexico. Too bad movie producers distort the facts to dramatize the real history.

More interesting read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_the_Kid

LewisNClark screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 10:47 AM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #105
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post

Grave:
I stood in the same spot. If memory serves me the headstone was stolen a total of three times. In 1904 the nearby Pecos River flooded and washed away the wooden headstones. A decision was made to erect a headstone in memory of BTK but no one knows for sure where he's actually buried.

MrBob screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 04:40 PM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote