Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #226
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 223
Mine were slightly out of spec from factory, in-spec still at around 3000mi (if my memory serves correctly). I'm approaching 7000mi, and see NO need to even look at them until 10000+mi.

If I was so inclined though, the procedure is easy: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24

The PCX is a one cylinder, two-valve bike. Short of massive failure involving a valve getting sheared off, the worst that will come of badly-adjusted valves is low compression, which you'll notice and know to adjust the valves. It's an economy bike -- unless you're a stickler for maintenance, just ride it and don't worry about it.

I think one more thing to note, aside from valves being out of spec from the factory (which seems to have been limited to just me, I've never heard of it on any other PCXes), most people who adjust their valves and have reported back on the forums said they were still in-spec, just on the tight end of spec. (for reference, the valve specs on the PCX 125 are intake: 0.10 +/- .02mm, exhaust: 0.24 +/- .02mm.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #227
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 223
Also, since people have asked about maintenance intervals, here the factory recommendations are: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323

Yes, the factory recommendation for valve adjustments is 2500mi.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #228
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,321
When they get to where they are tight enough to not let the valve seat with full spring pressure the exhaust valve will start to burn if not adjusted right away.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #229
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
When they get to where they are tight enough to not let the valve seat with full spring pressure the exhaust valve will start to burn if not adjusted right away.

This is correct and critical. If the valves are loose, you will notice a loss in performance, but not much else. If they are too tight however, the valves will not close all the way. While this will result in a slight loss in compression, the engine will still run, and you will not know about the problem until it is too late. The outer edges of the valves, especially the exhaust valve, get red hot, because they are so thin. When they make full contact with the valve seat, heat from the valve is transferred to the valve seat and head. If the valve does not make really good contact with the seat, the valves will burn quickly, leading to some expensive repairs. It could just mean new valves and seats, but since that red hot valve can act like a spark plug, and ignite the air/fuel mixture before it is supposed to, it can also cause detonation, which can put a hole in a piston really easy. In extreme cases it can make the engine run so hot that it destroys the head, piston, and cylinder.

Most valves do stay in adjustment way longer than what the manufacturer recommends. But I would not take a chance, at least until the engine has a long enough history to pretty much tell you how long they will last. My '08 Vino 125 just passed 25,000 miles, and the valves have been adjusted once, and that was less than 5,000 miles ago. But they were checked way more often. I checked the intake valve almost every time I changed the oil, or about every 1000 miles, because the valve adjuster is right under the oil filler cap.

I really have no idea why Honda specifies such a short interval between checks on the technologically advanced PCX150. The original Metropolitan had a valve check interval of 15,000 miles. I sold mine before ever reaching that point. But the Met valves were easy to check, they didn't require removing most of the bodywork like the PCX150. The PCX was on my list, I specifically decided against it because of the valve adjustment issue. Otherwise I would have probably bought it over the Zuma 125.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #230
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 821
We bought a pair of his & hers PCX 150s. They go in for their break-in service tomorrow. I'll be interested to hear if the valves need any adjustment. Both bikes pull good and seem very similar in power/economy.

I plan to do the 2,500 interval valve checks myself, after this initial service.

We have owned motocycles in the past, but this is our first go-round with scooters... I had no idea they were so EASY and FUN! I thought they'd be doggy, but I was pleasantly surprised.

It's only been two weeks, but we are enjoying the heck out of these scooters.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #231
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Glad you like them, and wish you the best of luck with them. I liked the PCX from sitting on one at the dealer, never did ride it. At that time I was also considering a maxi scooter, and valve adjustments seemed to be a big issue with them. The Yamaha Majesty only needs to be checked every 26,000 miles, but it is a highway scooter, and it wouldn't take me long to put that many miles on it. To do the valves, most of the bodywork has to come off, and the whole engine/drivetrain has to come out. It's a $600 job at a dealer, though I would do it myself. I'm picky about things, and $600 at a dealer is 6 hours labor. I have a feeling doing it right would take twice that long.

So when I started looking at smaller scooters, valves were very much on my mind. Due to the fact that I had a Japanese trade in (Kawasaki Ninja 500) for which I actually got a pretty decent deal on, I was looking at Japanese scooters. The only 2 within my price range were the PCX150 and the Zuma 125. The valve adjustment procedure is what I based my choice on. The Zuma is just like my Vino. You can check the valves in 10 minutes, and adjust them in about 20. It has plenty of power for me, but freeway legality is an issue. The PCX150 should be freeway legal. Now I'm looking for something that has both easy to get to valves and is freeway legal.

BTW, could you let us know what the cost of the first service is?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #232
CaptnJim
Scootist

Hi Jerry,

Regarding the cost of service: I will let you know. When we bought the bikes, the service manager (Jason), thought it would be around $150 each for the break-in service. We'll see if he remembers that number.

He said they have the valve adjust time at about an hour and a half per bike. Looking on-line at the procedure, there is plenty of stuff that has to come off to get to it.

I just came in off the scoot - dang that thing makes me smile. A woman in a car started a "left turn"... I grabbed two hands full of brakes... she hit hers, too. No issue. First time I've had to see how fast they can stop, when you really, really want to. Maybe I've mellowed, maybe it's the bike... I hardly wanted to reach in through the window, yank her keys out, and throw 'em across the road.

Yet, I'm still smiling. I heard from an old motorcycling buddy that I haven't visited with in a year or so... "You bought a what?" He has a garage full of bikes... bet this one would make him smile, too.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #233
RUNDCM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Would that be the Jason with shop outside of Frederick MD? I also have PCX 150, am waiting to hear your feedback on valve adjustment...I'm aboiut due....
RUNDCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #234
CaptnJim
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNDCM View Post
Would that be the Jason with shop outside of Frederick MD? I also have PCX 150, am waiting to hear your feedback on valve adjustment...I'm aboiut due....
No, this would be a dealer in Scottsdale, AZ. Western Honda. This will be our first service experience with them. I'm hoping it goes as easy as the buying experience.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #235
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Scooters are a relaxing ride, and very comfortable. You don't feel "on edge" like riding a sport bike. Not sure how to explain that better. I think scooters compare well to cruisers in the motorcycle world. The riding position is similar, they are both comfortable, and they both impart a feeling of being "in control" Most of my time on sport bikes was spent feeling like I was very close to being out of control. Sport bikes are very intense, and they make you feel that way too. IMO, not the best for city riding. Scooters and cruisers give you that calm relaxed feeling and let you enjoy the ride, without having to fight both traffic and the bike. You still have to watch out for sure, but there is a huge difference in the riding experience. Most sport bike riders would almost certainly find scooters and cruisers to be too boring for them.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #236
CaptnJim
Scootist

OK, as promised, a quick review of the service experience. The short version: it all went just as promised (One in a row!! ) - the folks at Western Honda in Scottsdale, Arizona, are good with the service, just as they are with the sale. Kudos!

The longer version:

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...n-service.html

An hour and a half per bike, at the price they quoted me the day we bought the bikes.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #237
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
OK, as promised, a quick review of the service experience. The short version: it all went just as promised (One in a row!! ) - the folks at Western Honda in Scottsdale, Arizona, are good with the service, just as they are with the sale. Kudos!

The longer version:

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/03...n-service.html

An hour and a half per bike, at the price they quoted me the day we bought the bikes.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Did you ask about adjusting the valves at 2,500 miles or are you planning on having them checked at 5,000 miles along with the next oil change?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #238
CaptnJim
Scootist

I plan to do the valve check/adjustment at 2,500 miles, along with regular oil changes.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #239
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I change the oil in both my 125s at 1000 miles. Costs almost nothing, they hold under a qt., and there is no oil filter, both are the reasons why I change it so often. I change the oil and filter on my VN750 every 3000 miles, but it holds 4 qts., and is liquid cooled.

Not sure what to say, I wouldn't advise anyone to disregard the manual on maintenance, unless you want to do it even more often, but if it were me, I would probably stretch the valve checks out to 5000 miles after checking them about 3 times, if they did not need adjustment. My Vino 125 has only needed one valve adjustment in 25,000 miles, and it was at around 19,000 miles. Does the PCX have screw and locknut or shim type adjustment?

Glad things worked out at Western Honda. They are pretty much the only Japanese dealership around here I would recommend, and they are Honda only. They also have a small dealership, unlike some of the huge multi brand powersports emporiums around here that look like the Taj Mahal, and have super high overhead.

JerryH screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 05:39 PM
Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #240
CaptnJim
Scootist

I appreciate your recommendation of Western Honda, Jerry. They are good folks to work with. The valves on the PCX are screw and locknut. I don't think I'd be comfortable going beyond the recommended mileage for the valves. Jason said they were right on at the break-in service. About the same oil capacity on the PCX, a quart.

Maybe our paths will cross next time we're out this way.

Best wishes,
Jim