Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #316
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
It's nice to have a forum like this, because there are others who get it.
Captain Jim
Bingo!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #317
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,380
Quote:
All those years of riding, I've found that there are people who wouldn't get on two wheels under any circumstances ("Those things are murder-cycles!"), and those you can't keep off. I have to admit that I had some preconceived mistaken notions of what a scooter is all about. You could have told me all about the fun and practicality years ago, but I doubt I would have been receptive.

Captain Jim
I have a half-bked plan to open a scooter store in my local neighborhood. Then I think to myself, "Hell Jimbo, you're never convinced one person to buy a scooter. You can't sell scooters for shit."

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #318
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
You can't convince them to try scootering ~ it's an awakening. It'll happen when it happens. In the meantime, you can always piss them off with the grin and the knowlege that they just don't know what they're missing.

Jim,

Maybe you could take a page from the Salt Life playbook. Sell the image. It seems to work well for them (and H-D).

MiniBike screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 04:26 PM
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #319
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBike View Post
You can't convince them to try scootering ~ it's an awakening. It'll happen when it happens. In the meantime, you can always piss them off with the grin and the knowlege that they just don't know what they're missing.

Jim,

Maybe you could take a page from the Salt Life playbook. Sell the image. It seems to work well for them (and H-D).
The thing to do is make scooters...cool.

Macho. Independent.

Someone ought to launch a sea-to-shining sea tour...under 45 mph; see all the sights; stay in four-star hotels and eat Prime Rib. Invite friendly media...go camping, with beer and whiskey, in the Rockies; hit the museums, the tourist traps, the peaks, the beaches...

...and then tally up our gas costs. The hotel bills would be killer but there's no cheaper way to go where you're going. Sissy? Let someone say that while riding in a driving rain. Sissy...is traveling by SUV. Or by American Airlines. Or trailering your Hardley-Dangerous to Sturgis.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #320
JBGHEAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
PCX 150 At Altitude?

I'm considering selling my 09' 650 V-Strom and buying a scooter. I missed out on a couple of Kymco 250 deals so now I'm looking at a PCX. Anybody out there ridden one in the mountains? I currently live in Montrose, CO (6000 ft) but will soon be moving to Grand Junction, CO (4500 ft).

I'm sure around town at 25-45 mph I'll be ok but I would like to be able to ride into the Colorado National Monument by Junction. There are some steep, switchback climbs to get up there. Once in the park the speed limit is 25. I'd also like to ride 2 up with my wife on some evening rides up there. I'm 190 and she's 120.

Would appreciate any info.
JBGHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #321
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGHEAT View Post
I'm considering selling my 09' 650 V-Strom and buying a scooter. I missed out on a couple of Kymco 250 deals so now I'm looking at a PCX. Anybody out there ridden one in the mountains? I currently live in Montrose, CO (6000 ft) but will soon be moving to Grand Junction, CO (4500 ft).

I'm sure around town at 25-45 mph I'll be ok but I would like to be able to ride into the Colorado National Monument by Junction. There are some steep, switchback climbs to get up there. Once in the park the speed limit is 25. I'd also like to ride 2 up with my wife on some evening rides up there. I'm 190 and she's 120.

I haven't ridden one. BUT...

...with 150cc you don't have much engine capacity to spare. Thin air, the mountains...and rural roads...I'd be REAL cautious. You'll lose a lot of power with the altitude; you won't be able to climb hills fast.

If you were just going to get around town, it would probably be okay. If you had any other plans...don't count on doing what guys at sea level can do with them.

I'd look for something bigger if you were looking to ride the highways. Four years ago I had a Burgman 400 in Banff, and it didn't have any oomph to spare in the climbs. At lower altitudes, it was good for 88 miles an hour.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #322
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,380
Quote:

I'm a heretic around here, but imo the scooter is not a replacement for your bike. It's a replacement for your car. Keep the Strom, buy a 125. Use it to do all the little errands you used to do in your car. That's the beauty of the scooter.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #323
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

I did another fill up this morning and I averaged 90 mpg. I know it's low compared to some other owners on this thread but I am really heavy on the throttle when I ride it (wife said it was ok for me to commute to work - sweet!).

I have a question: on my way back home yesterday I was going full speed. The bike jerked a bit as I was reaching 70 mph. It made me think that I hit the rev limiter. There's no tachometer so I couldn't really read anything but I am pretty sure that's what happened. Anyone else experienced that?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #324
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 760
Quote:

I just sold an 08 V-Strom, after buying a pair of PCX 150s. That said, I never intended the scooters to be a replacement for the V-Strom... I was about ready to be done riding. Buying the PCXes rekindled the desire to play on two wheels. No intention to do any serious highway riding for us.

Our experience with the scooters has been in the Phoenix area (flat) and currently in south Texas (really flat). We have yet to experience any slowdown due to rising terrain... because we haven't been in the proximity of any rising terrain... going over the Causeway here (70' high at the center span) is as close as we've come to a hill.

Elevation does a number on power output. While I'm sure the fuel injection helps, I would assume you'd be dealing with the standard "3% loss in horsepower per each 1,000' of elevation increase." A pretty significant hit at 6,000'.

I am an enthusiastic fan of the PCX 150. It works for the way we have been riding. BUT, most of our riding is 45mph or less these days. There isn't a lot of power to spare beyond that, even though the bike will do 65 mph (or better, if you are patient and have the running room).

I would hesitate to recommend it for two-up riding at elevation, but only because I have not tried it. Hopefully, someone here with experience with the PCX at higher elevations will be able to give you some useful "been there" observations.

At this point, the bike does more than I expected... mostly because I didn't expect much. That isn't a slam on the capabilities of this neat little bike; I hope you get the opportunity to try one at the elevation you will be using it.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 04-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #325
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post

Someone ought to launch a sea-to-shining sea tour...under 45 mph; see all the sights; stay in four-star hotels and eat Prime Rib. Invite friendly media...go camping, with beer and whiskey, in the Rockies; hit the museums, the tourist traps, the peaks, the beaches...
i'd be in for a long weekender to some interesting locations, but I couldn't afford the vet's bill for boarding the animals for much longer than that.

I see plenty of half-day rides (generally MC), but I don't care to ride for the sake of riding just to up at a bar (I don't drink). Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather explore interesting sights with like minded people than just hang out with like minded people doing nothing.

MiniBike screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 05:10 PM
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #326
TechFrog
Professional Amature

Oddometer: 19
Another PCX125 / PCX150 comparison

Hey everyone, just thought I would drop in again and post a couple observations. I previously posted how I didn't feel the 150 was significantly more powerful than the 125, but recently, after spending a lot of time on the 150, I rode the 125 around. I finally did notice the reduced acceleration, although, obviously it is minor, but noticeable when going back and forth. I also noticed something else. The 150 has a throatier, slightly turbulent combustion note compared with the quieter/smoother 125. It makes me wonder if they made the intake a bit more "open" (less restrictive) since a lot of the deep acceleration sounds we hear in an engine is actually through the intake as opposed to just the exhaust.

Living in Southern California, it's hard to avoid freeways sometimes, and I have found myself on short (2 to 10 mile) freeway hops when the time calls for it, and of course this is where I am happy to have those few more MPH.

Obviously, the 125 vs. 150 subject is not new to the forums, but I wondered if anyone else noticed the combustion sound difference (under full acceleration).

Also, on a humorous note, I had a friend swap scooters with me for a few miles on a ride because his Sym didn't have much of a back seat for his girlfriend who was along. I took the Sym (decent but harsh riding scoot) and he and she were on my PCX125. When I asked how he liked it he said: Your PCX is not like a scooter, it's more like a magic carpet.
TechFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #327
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
It made me think that I hit the rev limiter.
The PCX150 has a really smooth rev limiter which should fade in and out at around 66 mph on a new bike. A little less as the belt wears.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #328
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Another fill up, another 92 mpg. Wife put some good miles on the PCX this weekend. It's almost time for the 600 mile service...
Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #329
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 760
My last fill up (yesterday) came out at 95.6 mpg - the lowest I've gotten. Quite a few runs at 50 - 55 mph over the causeway on that tank. I could run slower, but it would increase the likelihood of becoming a hood ornament.

Captain Jim
Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #330
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
for some folks, "fun" and "image" are completely tangled up. thankfully, i have no such complications.
So true!

Quote:
It's not MANLY????

Somebody shoulda told me that before I bought these scooters!

Nahhh - I'm kidding. There was a time, 30 or so years ago, when the conveyance was part of making a statement, I suppose...

These days, I do whatever the hell I want... as long as my wife says it's OK.

I know I am preaching to ... well, this sure isn't the choir, but I'm talking to people who already get what I'm saying. I was one of those who thought "little bikes" meant not capable. "Not shifting," meant you couldn't handle a real bike. OK, so I was a moron... but, even that Blonde I'm married to will, on occasion, admit I can still learn a new thing or two.

45 years of riding motorcycles, and I finally learned how much fun a scooter is. Seriously, somebody should let other people know about this.

Captain Jim
Quote:

It's nice to have a forum like this, because there are others who get it. I thought I was about done riding... hell, I'm just getting started... again!

Captain Jim
This is why I always come back to Advrider when I'm researching a bike or a scooter. There (may) be other resources that have more technical information but I love getting the perspective from my like-minded ADV brethren
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote