User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #31
vader1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Fuel mileage

Another note on PCX mileage, Honda boosts the mileage by using an engine cut at stops after the engine is warm. If you sit at a stoplight it cuts out and a twist of the throttle and you are moving. It is a system that uses the alternator (I think) like a starter motor and is pretty seamless.

I love the bike, would like one as a second ride.

Fuel injection is nice for mileage, I am getting about 75 from my Kymco Downtown 300, and that is mostly full throttle starts and lots of highway travel, both are supposed to kill scooter mpgs. I think I could pull 80 on a tank if I babied it. Not bad for a scooter that will do over 90 mph.

And Kmart, nice bike. I am jealous.
vader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #32
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
Another note on PCX mileage, Honda boosts the mileage by using an engine cut at stops after the engine is warm. If you sit at a stoplight it cuts out and a twist of the throttle and you are moving. It is a system that uses the alternator (I think) like a starter motor and is pretty seamless.

Fuel injection is nice for mileage, I am getting about 75 from my Kymco Downtown 300, and that is mostly full throttle starts and lots of highway travel, both are supposed to kill scooter mpgs. I think I could pull 80 on a tank if I babied it. Not bad for a scooter that will do over 90 mph.

Vader1- I didn't think the engine stop feature is available on US models?

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #33
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader1 View Post

I don.t believe the ones we get here in the US have the engine cut off at stops.

Motor
The PCX was a Thailand built scooter featuring Honda's latest engine technology. This includes fuel injection, liquid cooling, engine auto shut off when stopped (except on USA models it curiously) and the world's first ACG (alternating current generator) electric start in a 125cc scooter. This ACG starter is ultra compact and virtually silent - similar to that found on the Ruckus and Metropolitan. With this latest technology, the PCX125 / PCX150 achieves excellent fuel economy. Honda claims 110mpg and most owners report getting reasonable close to that (ie. 90-95mpg) which is awesome for a mid sized scooter.

The 125cc PCX engine is rated at 11.1 HP, while the larger PCX150 gets a 152.9cc motor that cranks 13HP. The top speed of the PCX125 is 59-60mph, while the PCX150 should do about 5mph better. The PCX is electronically RPM governed so it can’t go faster than 60mph, but it’s mostly out of steam by 60mph anyways. The PCX150 is likely geared a bit taller so it won’t redline until around 70mph.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #34
vader1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Vader1- I didn't think the engine stop feature is available on US models?

Huh. My bad. Thought I read that in a US review somewhere but I guess not.
vader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #35
Southerner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Like gas-powered golf carts. There must be some law against them here. I read in a Korean newspaper site that Kia makes cars with this technology but it won't be coming to models sold here.

Like everyone else, I'm puzzled. Why balk fuel conserving and pollution cutting technology?

Still, I think the 150 may very well become Honda's best-selling scooter.
Southerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #36
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
How does the PCX fit a bigger body? I'm six-two; 260 lbs.

I have a Big Ruckus (and its doppelganger clone from China) but I'm disappointed in the mileage in both. The 150 carbureted clone only gets about 80 mpg with a top speed of about 40. The BR tops out at 65 and delivers about 60 mpg.

To get ninety miles a gallon...and the PCX is damned attractive. But so often these things are made for small, willowy Asian bodies. A big guy can look like a circus clown on one.

So...what's the word on roominess?
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #37
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
Like gas-powered golf carts. There must be some law against them here. I read in a Korean newspaper site that Kia makes cars with this technology but it won't be coming to models sold here.

Like everyone else, I'm puzzled. Why balk fuel conserving and pollution cutting technology?

Still, I think the 150 may very well become Honda's best-selling scooter.
American consumers demand extremely low prices so things like auto-stop may be sacrificed in the name of making a vehicle cheaper for American consumers.

Plus I could see the technology making some bikers worried that the bike will malfunction and not start if a car starts coming up fast on them at a light.

Quote:
How does the PCX fit a bigger body? I'm six-two; 260 lbs.

I have a Big Ruckus (and its doppelganger clone from China) but I'm disappointed in the mileage in both. The 150 carbureted clone only gets about 80 mpg with a top speed of about 40. The BR tops out at 65 and delivers about 60 mpg.

To get ninety miles a gallon...and the PCX is damned attractive. But so often these things are made for small, willowy Asian bodies. A big guy can look like a circus clown on one.

So...what's the word on roominess?
I'm 5,11 180lbs.

I have a very slender build so I would probably be in the willowy category. I have a bit of room on the front section of the seat to slide around on but not much. You could always modify the seat to remove the little backrest thing to give yourself more room, but I would say at 260lbs and your height you may definitely lose out on mileage and performance.

InlineSkate screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 09:48 AM
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #38
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
PCX: One spiffy bike

Howdy,

I can relate to the fellow who posted above about a big guy (I'm 6'0 and 275 lbs) looking funny on a PCX. My wife watched as I mounted the PCX 125 and the Sh150i at my local dealership and quickly told me that the Sh150i's styling was a better fit for a fortysomething rider at my weight.
Styling and overweight rider factors aside, the PCX 125/150 is one attractive scoot and ought to be selling like crazy, especially among riders in the 18-34 demographic. If i'd have had one of these little gems back in my young, slim college days and parked it at LSU, there'd surely have been a cute little coed perched on it when I returned from the library!
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #39
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 125
Some big riders are on http://www.hondapcx.org, but most people are under 6'. My 6'5" brother in law looks hilarious on my little PCX.

I'm 5'10 and if I were any taller, it would probably be uncomfortable.

No US PCX comes with idle stop, whether you get the 125 or 150. It was based on "safety issues," which is total bogus if you ask me. Here's a good read on it: http://www.autocentral.com/doc.mvc/N...p-transmi-0001

The idle stop helps a lot in stop and go traffic, some people have reported 2-3mpg differences with it on vs leaving it off. My commute doesn't have a lot of idling, so I wouldn't be affected at all.

http://www.hondapcx.org
maddiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #40
Southerner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
So how's it gonna 'lurch forward' if you have to apply the brakes for it to be activated? When I read that, it really answered my concerns.

It does pose a question for me, though.
So you guys with conventional CVT scooters, when you come to a stoplight, do you usually hold the brake or just put your feet down?

With a conventional MC, I usually go to neutral at any long light but still hold the brake regardless, just in case something goes wrong. But I've never thought about this aspect in CVTs.
Southerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #41
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
So how's it gonna 'lurch forward' if you have to apply the brakes for it to be activated? When I read that, it really answered my concerns.

So you guys with conventional CVT scooters, when you come to a stoplight, do you usually hold the brake or just put your feet down?

With a conventional MC, I usually go to neutral at any long light but still hold the brake regardless, just in case something goes wrong. But I've never thought about this aspect in CVTs.
CVT scooters don't move without any throttle input so you basically just leave your feet down.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #42
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Hmmmm.......

Strange.....you could turn back time to 1985 when Honda introduced the Elite 150 as a replacement for the Elite 125. Freeway capable, futuristic looks, great fuel economy, etc.,etc.. History repeats itself again and again.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #43
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 125
Quote:

That's the whole stupid thing with the idle stop not coming to the USA. If Honda had been able to explain how a CVT works to the feds, they could have saved a lot of coin by just configuring all PCXes with idle stop, and not customizing for the USA.

The CVT is a centrifugal clutch -- the inner shaft out of the engine only engages if the engine is spinning faster than idle. After slowing lower than ~3mph with no throttle, you can feel the CVT disengage. Feet go down, brakes optional to stay in place. All scooters with CVTs operate this way, and it's so second-nature, you don't even think about it the first time you stop.

http://www.hondapcx.org
maddiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #44
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
Strange.....you could turn back time to 1985 when Honda introduced the Elite 150 as a replacement for the Elite 125. Freeway capable, futuristic looks, great fuel economy, etc.,etc.. History repeats itself again and again.
Of course, that was when freeway speeds were 55 MPH, right?
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #45
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discojon75 View Post
Of course, that was when freeway speeds were 55 MPH, right?
Well sure.....I mean it will do 65, but the slightest grade will cause you to lose speed. However, it can cruise pretty nicely at 60 mph, once you get it there. If I could throw a set of 14" wheels on it, I know I could easily cruise at 65 and probably top out at 75 -ish. She's that damn strong.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote