Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #61
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
My non-brass balls won't let me catch you
OK, Mr. Screw-the-bridge-I'll-take-the-boulder-strewn-river, whatever you say.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. If I had as much confidence in my riding as you seem to, I would be a lot less nervous out there.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #62
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
"HEY!! I said you shorts fucks move to the front!"
That's not what he said.....He didn't cuss at us he has more class than that. Now a few years ago he might have.

He did a great job of getting all the cats in the corral.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #63
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
That is where the nap comes in, 25 minutes and you feel like a million bucks.
I hear ya Al. I only made it to about Ukiah before, the weekends fun started catching up to me, and I got the "yawns" *. After a cold early morning ride, I pulled into a little campground, and layed down in the sun, helmet on and all. Was the best 20 minute nap I can remember! Next time I'll have to figure out if my little Panasonic Lumix does time lapse as well.

* Either that or I'm turning into one of these

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #64
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Beautiful country. Had planed on making it to the Canyon last August and had a change of plans and made a left turn at Burns. Hope to make it to the Rally next year.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #65
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,920
OK Ken, you are a crappy rider.
But we enjoyed riding with you anyway.
No doubt the gravel (plus the rocky joseph cr rd) keeps me on edge too.

All in all a well matched bunch we had on those two rides I was in on.
John & Gary did well keeping up on their itty bitty thumpers lol.
Now Jessie, he's got youth.... (Plus he rides really well)
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #66
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
OK Ken, you are a crappy rider.
Thanks man, I was afraid I was going to have to call Hells Alien.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #67
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 320
Saw lots of wildlife right outside of town. I probably saw hundreds of deer on this trip, along with a skunk, a pheasant, eagles and a very talented rock-surfing camp mutt.

Yeah - and you saw some ELK too!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #68
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by utefan View Post
Saw lots of wildlife right outside of town. I probably saw hundreds of deer on this trip, along with a skunk, a pheasant, eagles and a very talented rock-surfing camp mutt.

Yeah - and you saw some ELK too!
What those little things...those are Barely Wapiti. Now the Rosies we have here on the coast...now those are and Elk worth

Actually saw about 4 seperate herds during the weekend and one them was a small group of velvet Bulls. If I had the time, I'd love to hunt over there this fall, but doing too much and some of .

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #69
Loud Al OP

Oddometer: 3,894

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #70
jc9995
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
What those little things...those are Barely Wapiti. Now the Rosies we have here on the coast...now those are and Elk worth

Actually saw about 4 seperate herds during the weekend and one them was a small group of velvet Bulls. If I had the time, I'd love to hunt over there this fall, but doing too much and some of .
Ya ya ya....I know the Rosie elk are bigger....but I prefer the taste of the rocky mt ....
Also, I just got the confirmation in the mail....I got a zumwalt tag this year! Yay me!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #71
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
Good job Allan.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #72
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

This afternoon the TV was on with the Nate show was playing. He and another man were talking about good manners and the question came up about if it is proper to take pictures at parties. The answer was itís not proper with a few exceptions. Apparently they have never been to anything ADV and they are doing things at their parties they donít want to get caught doing.

Part of the fun of ADV gatherings and rides is all the pictures we get to see afterwards. Can you imagine us not sharing the fun of pictures? Hereís some of what I caught with my camera last weekend.

I left Spokane Thursday morning with the sun shining and a promise of great riding ahead. Since I was in the neighborhood I rode down the Spiral Hwy at Lewiston, ID

Lewiston has never been one of my favorite places to ride through and I was pleased a few years ago when The Tourist told me about the back way around Lewiston to get to Clarkston. It really is simple, at the bottom of the Spiral Hwy take a right and follow the river to the bridge. Cross the bridge and you are at the edge of Clarkston. No dealing with traffic and stop lights. Wahhhoooo

Someone making a statement along the road.

Not far from Anatone, WA this barn looks like a smiley face. Each year it is deteriorating more and more and one day it will no longer be smiling at me. I'll enjoy it while I can.

With an early start and the only plan for the day was to be to camp around noon I had plenty of time to enjoy the sights along the way.

Taking Rattlesnake Grade is always fun and being able to stop at the pull outs and take it all in added to the fun especially since the weather was so beautiful.

I donít know what this is and itís probably a weed that farmers donít like but I thought it looked like a bunch of fluffy caterpillars.

This is the road I get to ride.

While I was there enjoying the view I though about Radioman and how strange it was going to be with him not being at the gathering. Heís been a regular but this year he was busy riding in India instead. The ladybug rock that now rides in my tank bag was given to me by Mark after he returned from Alaska a couple years ago. It traveled with him back east then up to AK and back down to me. It would be at the gathering and taking a few of the rides even though Mark wouldnít be there.

While here a car pulled up and out gets Brian, the owner of the Log House RV park. Gee how did he recognize me with my helmet and all the gear on. We visited for a few minutes and he was off to Lewiston to take his brother to the airport.

Took a little time to enjoy the flowers along the way.

At the bottom of Rattlesnake Grade is the Grande Ronde River.

Bogganís Oasis is at the bottom of the grade too and a good place for an ice cream stop. When I saw the bike and the rider out front drinking coffee I stopped. I didnít pay a lot of attention to the bike and was talking with him and asked if he was coming to the gathering. When I said ADV he confirmed seeing the post about the gathering and said he had better things to do. Hmmmmmm no points for that guy. Then I realized the bike was a street bike and he was probably going to a street type thing.

While I was chatting with him 1911 Fan and Tori rode by, snubbing me. They were pretty easy to spot with the bright orange KTM being followed by a gal on a Moto Guzzi.

At the Joseph Creek viewpoint I caught up to them. It was pretty easy to do since they were doing the same thing I was with stopping and enjoying the sights along the way.

As I was visiting with them we spotted a butterfly admiring Toriís Moto Guzzi.

There are so many beautiful views in the NE part of Oregon and itís amazing how many people think there is nothing there. We can let them keep thinking that so we have it all to ourselves.

I decided I would follow Mike and Tori to camp and see if I could get a few pictures of them riding along the way.

At camp I checked in, got my bike unpacked and visited some with Margaret, the other owner of the Log House RV park. Things started well and there was a lot more riding and fun ahead for me. More to come.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #73
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
There are so many beautiful views in the NE part of Oregon and it’s amazing how many people think there is nothing there. We can let them keep thinking that so we have it all to ourselves.

That there is "nothing" there...
...is precisely the appeal for me.
LOTS of deep, beautiful canyons full of......"nothing".......ahhhh
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #74
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Thursday afternoon Allan (Loud Al) said something about taking a ride up to Hat Point and I ask if I could ride along, to my surprise he said sure. It had been about 5 years since I had been up there and I want to take that ride again. I tried last year but the road was blocked by snow but this year it was smooth sailing.

We headed out for Zumwalt via Crow Creek. With riding my F650GS Crow Creek was a little more challenging than I was planning to do with that bike and I would have preferred to be on my DR200SE, The Superbug. Let me explain a bit; I'm five foot nothing, out of shape and for me riding my F650GS is about like a normal sized person riding a R1200GS Adventure. I didnít plan to ride anything more than maybe a little bit of easy gravel roads this weekend and what do I do? First thing out of the chute I follow Allan and I know he will lead me into things that will challenge my skills. Thatís not a bad thing and I found Crow Creek actually easier to handle than I first thought it would be. No pictures of it since I decided I should pay attention to my riding.

After getting on the easy stuff I spotted Allan parked across from an old barn and he was working on getting a photo.

I snapped a quick shot of the barn without getting off the bike. There have already been a few pictures posted of it. Iím curious how Allanís photo of the barn turned out.

Allan sent me up Camp Creek Road ahead of him and when I got to the gate it was a bit before he caught up. I think he stopped for some photo ops because Iím sure not faster than him. It gave me a little time to play after opening the gate. Isnít this a pretty bike?

Here comes Allan

There goes Allan

Oops, I guess I should stop screwing around, move my bike, close the gate and ride . . . .

Camp Creek Road is one of the favorites for the folks that attend this gathering. I just snapped a couple shots on the easy parts since the more challenging things like the three washouts I needed to keep my hands on the bars and pay attention to what I was doing.

We were then on our way to Hat Point:
ďA horse bucked. A cowboy lost his hat.
It was later found and hung from a tree,
where it remained for a year unclaimed.
And sometime in the 1800's,
"Hat Point" got its name.Ē

The views at Hat Point are spectacular

Mid summer 2007 a forest fire came through this area

Can you imagine being up in this tower, as it was surround by a forest fire?

With the way the sun was hitting these trees that had been stripped by the fire they shined like silver and they caught my attention.

A few months back Baldy and Smugmug create an app for iPhone called Camera_Awesome and I decided to awesomize those bald trees.

I have fun playing with my phone. I use it more for a camera than I do for a phone and this app gives me one more thing to play with.

Hells Canyon and the Snake River. Isn't this canyon beautiful?

Radioman may have missed the ride to Hat Point this year but the Ladybug rock make it. We were thinking about him.

Someday, later in the summer when itís warmer, I want to camp up at Hat Point to watch the sun go down and come up again the next morning. I bet itís quite a sight.

Time to head down before it gets dark because I donít like riding after dark.

The views on the way down are very nice but I didnít stop on the way up or down to save time. Allan did stop a few times for photos then would catch up, pass me then a little later I would find him stopped again and for a brief few minutes I would be ahead of him until he passed me again. It worked out, I got to poke along at my pace and he still got to ride at his pace.

I stopped and waited for Allan in Imnaha, I had passed him while he was stopped at a viewpoint. We chatted for a few minutes and he told me he would see me in Joseph saying something about the road in was a fun riding road and he planned to have fun with a snicker . I think he was saying something about my less than spirited pace. I headed off knowing it would be only a few minutes until he passed me.

There are so many things to see out here.

Yep, he passed me (note to The Tourist- - - see, no on coming cars and heís not in my lane )

And there goes Allan.

The ride in to Joseph was the classic case of the tortoise (me) and the hare (Allan). I passed Allan when he pulled over to zip up his vents or put on another layer when the temperature dropped. I made it to Joseph before he did and was waiting for him. It was a fun time and I appreciate Allan letting me tag along.

That was only the first day and of course there are a few more days of riding to comeÖ.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #75
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,695
Those are great photos LB!
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote