ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,176
? Re: TN Certificate of Title

What types of designations do you see under "body type" on TN motorcycle titles? Does TN register / title all motorcycles, or just street legal motos? And what's involved with converting a "non-street legal" moto to "street legal" status? Is it just equipment? Can any off road moto be converted and tagged in TN?

I'm considering a TN tagged dual sport, that wasn't born "street legal" and importing and registering it in FL. I understand the title on this bike doesn't say on road or off road. Since 2001 all OHV bikes (and quads) bought in FL are registered and get an "off road only" title, the kiss of death for getting it tagged. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if somebody could school me a bit.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 371
I can say that I have off road motorcycles titled and registered in TN. they give you a sticker to put on your bike, and your serial number is put on file. One time registration for off road bikes, you do not do it every year like street legal bikes.
but as far as re-title from off road to street legal I can not tell you about that.
titling is always a complicated issue, good luck, and let us know how it goes.
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012

Tompound screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 07:56 AM
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompound View Post
I can say that I have off road motorcycles titled and registered in TN. they give you a sticker to put on your bike, and your serial number is put on file. One time registration for off road bikes, you do not do it every year like street legal bikes.
but as far as re-title from off road to street legal I can not tell you about that.
titling is always a complicated issue, good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Thanks, yeah in FL since 2001 off-road bikes are registered (think "fees") and titled, but the titles say "off highway only." You need an off-road title to use it in the FL OHV areas, and I guess to re-sell it if the buyer cares. If you're using it on private property then it doesn't matter I guess. But you're right, it's a 1-time deal.

The one I'm looking at was registered and titled as a "street bike" in TN and gets a new tag every year. I'm just curious what the process is so no suprises if I bring it to FL.

PMR
Old 06-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,228
I bought an XR250R with a TN title. There was no "off road only" mention on the title. I just brought it to the license plate agency (not the DMV) and got me a shinny tag! I have since made the modifications needed for it to be completely street legal in NC...
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,114
I'd like to know more about this. Of course, the guys selling me an XR all say that I can tag it no problem in TN, but I get conflicting reports. The clerks office in Hamilton Cty makes it hard to tag a car, and I'd hate to buy the perfect bike, do all the work, and still not have a tag. And, I would like to renew the tag each year. Anything definitive???
Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post
I bought an XR250R with a TN title. There was no "off road only" mention on the title. I just brought it to the license plate agency (not the DMV) and got me a shinny tag! I have since made the modifications needed for it to be completely street legal in NC...
I'm pretty sure I could register and tag it in NC, but the annual safety inspection and the yearly value tax has always been a PITA when you don't live there full time. It would be much easier for me to tag it in FL where my other bikes are registered.

So, you got the plate at the tag office, then had to take it for it's inspection AFTER you installed the needed equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
I'd like to know more about this. Of course, the guys selling me an XR all say that I can tag it no problem in TN, but I get conflicting reports. The clerks office in Hamilton Cty makes it hard to tag a car, and I'd hate to buy the perfect bike, do all the work, and still not have a tag. And, I would like to renew the tag each year. Anything definitive???
I'm trying to find out what the seller actually did. It looks like he bought it new in TN from a Honda dealer, but I don't know the steps he went thru to get it tagged, i.e., did he get an original title (after the MSO) that was off road only and then apply for the street legal title after he did the dual sport conversion. It looks like the title he has now was generated when he bought the bike, but before he converted it to street legal. I'll post up when I find out.

What do TN titles for motos show for "body type?" This one says "EN" And do the street legal titles say anything about highway use (in TN that is)?

PMR
Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,334
I hate sticking my neck on title issues but....

I've gone thru the "certification of title" process in TN to get a "real" title for a dirt bike. No funny business going on....... just getting a street legal motorcycle titled in my name.

They send me a regular ole green title that does not say "off road use only".

I still have all the bikes that I converted...... so I can't tell you if another owner would have problems titling / registering them. I'm guessing they wouldn't..... but no promises. The title I would give that new owner looks like a regular title.

I will look at my "dirt bike titles" tonight and see what "body type" they say.

Tot eh dood buying the XR....... Aren't XR L models street legal anyways? Are you buying a "L" . . . . . or a "R"?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Idid he get an original title (after the MSO) that was off road only and then apply for the street legal title after he did the dual sport conversion. It looks like the title he has now was generated when he bought the bike, but before he converted it to street legal.
Man... I've never heard of anyone getting a "not for highway use" title converted over to a "regular street legal" title.
Not saying it can't be done but . . . . . .

Heck . . . if you know the title or VIN number..... call the Dept of Revenue or whoever and have them run it. Don't ask a lot of Qs.... just tell them you're driving a long way to buy the bike and want to be sure before you go thru the trouble.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
I will look at my "dirt bike titles" tonight and see what "body type" they say.
Huh . . . .

One says TL

The other says RS

I guess that helps a lot
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
Huh . . . .

One says TL

The other says RS

I guess that helps a lot
Thanks for looking LOL. I think the "RS" might stand for road street, I was googling this weekend and ran across that. As for TL, or EN (as what's on the bike in question) I don't know, nor do I know if there is any significance with the different designations.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
So, you got the plate at the tag office, then had to take it for it's inspection AFTER you installed the needed equipment?

NC loophole, when you register from out of state you do not have to get it inspected the first year. I still got it street legal right away because I do think the bike is safer that way on the street.
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post
NC loophole, when you register from out of state you do not have to get it inspected the first year. I still got it street legal right away because I do think the bike is safer that way on the street.
Yeah, that's right. A couple of the guys I ride with up there said there was a grace period before the first inspection.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

TN DMV lady said she couldn't tell me what EN, TL, RS stand for without the actual VIN. She said she has no idea, the "computer just spits those letters out." I may call back and get someone else, or maybe try a Dealership.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
ihatefalling
Let it roll

That would be cool if we could figure out what those letters mean.
Will the seller give you the VIN ?
Tell him you want to run the vin to make sure it's not stolen.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
That would be cool if we could figure out what those letters mean.
Will the seller give you the VIN ?
Tell him you want to run the vin to make sure it's not stolen.
yeah, the lady at the TN DMV said she didn't know what the letters stood for, so I asked her if there was another Department I could call. She said "no, this is THE department that handles that." I spoke with the dealership a few minutes ago, and they said they see all different designations under "body type" and that they are internal codes for the TN DMV. She said she'd run the VIN and see what it told her, I have a pic of the title but can't read the first few numbers so will talk with the seller tonite.

You can run the VIN here

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

to see if it has ever been reported stolen or if the title has been changed to salvage, etc..