- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #183
Holeshot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Great Day

Great first day! Looks to me like Josh was right there with Jeff Fredette on his first day in the ISDE. How about that!

You must be one proud Papa! I'm proud of Josh too..
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #184
lowbudget
_twin brothers on the go_

Oddometer: 324
Day 1 Video:
Kawasaki: KLR 600 - #1 1984; #2 1989
KTM EXC 250 2012
Beta: 300RR 2014, Rev 3 270 2005
TM 144EN 2009
lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #185
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
More Video

ISDE.tv

http://www.isde.tv/site/
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #186
spdjnky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Good Luck to you Josh!!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #187
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
September 25, 2012

Another day in the books. Josh is still riding. The fact that the ISDE is a VERY long week of riding was reinforced to me today again even more, and it’s only day 2. At rider’s meeting tonight it was emphasized how much more difficult Days 3 and 4 are going to be. The distance is longer (over 200 miles), the transfer sections tougher, and the tests more challenging.

The Trophy Team seems to be settling in and Charlie Mullins is proving to be a real threat. The Junior Trophy Team moved up to 3rd overall today and had a huge boost from Thad Duvall. The Women’s team is doing well. I’m super impressed with young Rachel Gutish. She’s 16 and a junior in high school like Josh, but weighs even less, and rides amazing. Her parents are great and she has a real calm demeanor.

Sarah Whitmore has injured her left hand and I know it is impacting her riding, but she’s also laid down some good test scores.

Devin Bolin is the top US club rider and riding awesome. As of yesterday, all riders were still in it. I think there may be some attrition after today, but nothing official.

Josh made it through the day. He woke up feeling pretty sick. We’re not sure if it was a touch of the bug, or nerves….probably some of both. He went out and laid down his best special test score of the day early in the morning when he wasn’t feeling well. He wasn’t as consistent in the other tests with some tip overs, but he’s trying to find his groove.

There is a check point that is shared three times on the course. There are routes in and out of it right in the middle of town and one of the routes was changed slightly from yesterday. Josh got confused in all the chaos and somehow got off course and by the time he corrected it, he was three minutes late to the first check which really hurt his scores today.

However, when we finally saw him at Check 4, we were just totally relieved to know that he was OK and still riding. At that time, he was feeling much better and focused on trying to remain consistent through the day.

We were able to visit one special test today (same one as yesterday), and get some pictures of some of the USA club riders near Josh in schedule.

Josh this morning doctoring up his bike after yesterday’s crash. A little duct tape and zip ties will do miracles.

Jeff Fredette was on the minute in front of Josh.

And Josh is off.

We paid a visit to Check 4 just as some of the Trophy and Junior Trophy riders were finishing. Here is Andrew Delong from the Junior Trophy team finishing up.

Jordan Brandt

We were soooooo relieved when we saw this rolling in to the check, a few minutes behind schedule. Any of you parents who have kids that off-road race can relate. I have three boys that race. At a desert race, when they don’t in to the pits when you expect them you start to worry why they’re not doing so well…..then, as time progresses and they still don’t show up, you start to worry if their bike is OK, then you start to worry if they’re OK. Then you get to the point where you don’t care anything at all about their placement, and just want to make sure they’re OK. We ran through all those emotions today.

Reid Brown from Oregon at Check 4…..always smiling!

We did an oil change at Check 4……yes, mechanics/support can change the oil and fill it.

When then boogied to Special Test 5, but tried to catch some of the riders in a transfer section. Here is Brian Storrie from Texas.

And Josh, getting a cheer from the family.

Brian Storrie in Test 5.

Derek Steahly.

Billy Burns

Jeff Fredette

Nick Hamill

Scott Bright

Josh Special Test 5

The weather has been absolutely perfect. Mild temperatures, no dust, damp dirt. The forecast is for more of the same, but if we get any rain, it could really change things.

Tomorrow the hard stuff starts. Time for some sleep.

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement to Josh and the entire U.S. team, both Trophy Riders and Club Riders. It’s a great feeling to be part of all this.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #188
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,109
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #189
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,667
Just keep on keepin' on, Josh.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #190
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Great update! I'm trying to read everything but this is the best!!!

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #191
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Just keep on keepin' on, Josh.
+1 for Josh!!

Rock on Family Knight

Thank you: MX1West, Renazco Racing, KTM Twins, Rally Management Services
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #192
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Great update mknight - Us pitbox parents ALWAYS worry the worst when our rider doesn't show up when he should. Even in roadracing! I stand at start/finish pit wall and run the watches. If he's late I look to the trackside staff with radios. If it's him they make eye contact with me and thumb up or shake their head...Then I look to the ambulance. If the ambulance goes I follow it to the ER. Same drill, be it Daytona, Loudon or wherever...

Been doing that with two sons since 1999. Thankfully I have the year off this season as #2 went to grad school so he had to give up dabbling in AMA Pro or risk losing his scholarship. Meanwhile #1 son (retired from roadracing since 2008) picked up desert racing out west! It's supposed to be hobby racing. But he has a Spot tracker he uses for his crew. I watch it and whenever he's stopped I fear the worst...

Angst never ends for pitbox dads and moms.

If they get through it whole, I promise they are prepared to compete in life no matter what. There is no bullshitting in motorcycle racing.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #193
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 418
Another nice solid day Josh! Slipped down a little perhaps but absolutly nothing to worry about, you'll get that back.
Dry again tomorrow thay say.

2 new tyres for Thursday morning when they say it'll rain, then dry till the end. Pretty lucky really because UK is flooded today.

You look great! Well in control of it all. Don't waste yourself tomorrow though because Thursday morning could be very hard, then push till the end. Now you know you can do it.

http://www.latestmotorsportweather.c...pe=uk#forecast

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2935022?day=1

I hope you don't mind me suggesting but this UK site but the story is good and backs-up Mike's description of the conditions.

http://www.enduronews.com/events/isde12.htm

As they say in the USA....GO JOSH GO!!!
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #194
knobie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Going great Josh! Keep the cool! Try to stay hydrated and sleep as much as possible.
Thanks for all these updates Mike. Josh has been blessed with a great family.
Tibby
knobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #195
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,282
GO JOSH!! you're doing great !

and ..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote