User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
bradrh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
overnighter to the Maze district of Canyonlands

We (motomo & myself) were planning a 1 week trip to Moab & at the last minute decided to do an overnighter to the Doll house area of Canyonlands Maze district.
The plan was to trailer the bikes to Hans Flat Ranger section then ride the WRR's to camp, then ride a bunch more the next day. After leaving utah 24 we camped along the road a ways in and got a fairly early start. It's 44 miles of washboard to Hans Flat. Evidently my standard methods of securing things to the trailer weren't good enough for the vibes of the washboard. Nothing lost, except a wheel chock bolt about 15 mi in. I could have fixed it, but determined that the best solution was to unload 1 bike and as much stuff as possible. So motomo drove the Rav & I got to ride. It was a nice ride.

We found a place to park near the ranger station, got packed up & rode. Most of the road is suitable for 2wd or big bikes. The flint hill switchbacks would require 4wd, but probably OK for some folks on a big bike. There were a few miles on the way to the doll house that I think would be a handful for most guys on anything bigger than a properly setup 650. It was perfect fun for the 250's :) The jeepers were doing a lot of spotting and rock stacking. I was too busy riding and didn't get any pics of the more interesting technical riding.
Down the Flint Switchbacks

Along the way.

Our Campsite

This is along the trail that goes down to the river

This was the 'trail' that we hiked in the maze.

You might be asking why we didn't just ride the 44 mile road? Gas and water. None available. You have to carry out your waste products too . I think we probably could have done it, but I was planning on riding more. We did more hiking and hassling with the trailer & less riding than planned. I think next time I would load up at Hite and ride in from there.

The complete photo album is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pdcmdwmxr77dv73/RovI5IAXyO
Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Nice pics. I love the Doll House area. There's a lot of great loop hiking around there when you get familiar. From the Spanish Bottom trail you can continue down river to Brown Betty rapid then up the drainage just downstream of it that puts you back into the bottom of the Doll House. Water, Shot and Jasper canyons are all accessible from just up the road from the SB trail top. Also want to ride up to Millard Canyon from there. What was your ride time from Hans Flat to the Spanish Bottom trail head? I've mostly been up from the river but rode in from Poison Springs once and drove in from Hite once.
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Nice photos. I especially liked #s 16,17, and 30. I've been to Moab many times and always wanted to go to the Maze, just couldn't make it. When were you there? A friend from SC was supposed to be there sometime this week. He's ridden an XRR from Oregon and coming all the way back to the South.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Wow! Awesome pics. Thx for sharing. Looks like you two had a fab trip.
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
bradrh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Nice pics. I love the Doll House area. There's a lot of great loop hiking around there when you get familiar. From the Spanish Bottom trail you can continue down river to Brown Betty rapid then up the drainage just downstream of it that puts you back into the bottom of the Doll House. Water, Shot and Jasper canyons are all accessible from just up the road from the SB trail top. Also want to ride up to Millard Canyon from there. What was your ride time from Hans Flat to the Spanish Bottom trail head? I've mostly been up from the river but rode in from Poison Springs once and drove in from Hite once.
From HF to camp was about 3.5 hrs with plenty of stops. How were the roads from Poison Springs and Hite? There's a lot to explore, I'm going back!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Miles of fun, sandy two track from Hite then it gets rough from Teapot north. Did Poison back in about 1980 so don't know road/trail condition to Sunset Pass but water level at Dirty Devil is probably only concern. I'm always dreaming of getting out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
From HF to camp was about 3.5 hrs with plenty of stops. How were the roads from Poison Springs and Hite? There's a lot to explore, I'm going back!
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Nice pic... thanks for taking us along
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote