ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
Batman640 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Timaru, New Zealand
Oddometer: 40
Question Sprocket Size gearing

I have a 05 640adv, stock sprockets are 16/42, with this combination it rev at about 4200rpm at 100kms/hr on the speedo.

What changes to the rpm does changing the sprockets, ie putting a 51 on the back will make it rev higher, but does anybody have the rpm number it would change it to.

We could make up a table with all sproket combinations?
__________________
05' 640 Adv
Batman640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Jeff620RXC
Studly Adventurer
 
Jeff620RXC's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Hutchinson, KS USA
Oddometer: 567
gearing

Like this?:

Spreadsheet
Jeff620RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Batman640 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Timaru, New Zealand
Oddometer: 40
Thanks Jeff, just what I need.
__________________
05' 640 Adv
Batman640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Loadedagain
making chips
 
Loadedagain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 26,706
how about the one i made specifically for the ktm lc4

http://www.ktmcanada.com/lc4_gearing.xls
__________________
** iba - 22936 *** Alcan5000 - 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014 ***

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
Batman640 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Timaru, New Zealand
Oddometer: 40
Thanks, even better
__________________
05' 640 Adv
Batman640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
Jeff620RXC
Studly Adventurer
 
Jeff620RXC's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Hutchinson, KS USA
Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
how about the one i made specifically for the ktm lc4

http://www.ktmcanada.com/lc4_gearing.xls
You just had to one up me, didn't ya!
Almost as bad a Creeper!

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one. Nice! Even if it is in freakin km/hr!
Jeff620RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
Loadedagain
making chips
 
Loadedagain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 26,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff620RXC
You just had to one up me, didn't ya!
Almost as bad a Creeper!

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one. Nice! Even if it is in freakin km/hr!
one flippin imperial country left.... and you lot build all yer stuff in metric... so feegure it out sunshine.
__________________
** iba - 22936 *** Alcan5000 - 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014 ***

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
viverrid
not dead yet
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Western Mass
Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman640
What changes to the rpm does changing the sprockets, ie putting a 51 on the back will make it rev higher, but does anybody have the rpm number it would change it to.
Don't go making it harder than it is. Not a complex secret formula by any means, when starting from an already known single point, and just wanting to know the change, it is not necessary to start from scratch using tranny ratios, primary drive, tire diameter, etc.

Looky here, if you doubled the size of the back sprocket (yeah, not possible, wouldn't fit, but for example) the rpm would double for the same speed. 25% larger, up 25%. 10% higher, up 10%. So just figure the percent change in the sprocket sizes, and then its that same percentage change to the rpm.

The next step would be to look at the front sprocket. And then simultaneous changes to both front and rear.....
__________________
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
Loadedagain
making chips
 
Loadedagain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 26,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Don't go making it harder than it is. Not a complex secret formula by any means, when starting from an already known single point, and just wanting to know the change, it is not necessary to start from scratch using tranny ratios, primary drive, tire diameter, etc.
true true... i made the spreadsheet coz i'm a fuckin engineer. thats what i do.. i beat shit to death with numbers, ok? i found it helpful when i graphed the valus with different sprockets. gave me an idea what to order.... then i ordered three gear sets i need more r&d
__________________
** iba - 22936 *** Alcan5000 - 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014 ***

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer
 
ram1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Tricities Washington
Oddometer: 1,801
My 2002 dualsport came with 16/42 and I recently put new sprockets on. I went 16/44 this time and with a 15 front I have what I think is just the right gearing for dirt single track. I will go back to 16 for desert and up to 17 for street trips.
ram1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #11
Loadedagain
making chips
 
Loadedagain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 26,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000
My 2002 dualsport came with 16/42 and I recently put new sprockets on. I went 16/44 this time and with a 15 front I have what I think is just the right gearing for dirt single track. I will go back to 16 for desert and up to 17 for street trips.
just remember the 17 requires a trip to the grinder, or the duke2 front sprocket guard.
__________________
** iba - 22936 *** Alcan5000 - 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014 ***

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #12
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
one flippin imperial country left.... and you lot build all yer stuff in metric... so feegure it out sunshine.
Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated.

Or you will die while we try to free you godless pinko commie arses from the satanic metric system...

__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #13
Loadedagain
making chips
 
Loadedagain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 26,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated.

Or you will die while we try to free you godless pinko commie arses from the satanic metric system...

why does america build everything metric then convert to imperial?

as soon as the general population figure that out they're gonna be pissed. you don't believe me take a look at a carton of milk... it's litres man. litres! your cars use metric bolts with metric dimensions... how big is the eingine in your car? 5.4 litres right?

you are metric already... just don't know it.. that's all.
__________________
** iba - 22936 *** Alcan5000 - 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014 ***

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:14 PM   #14
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
why does america build everything metric then convert to imperial?

as soon as the general population figure that out they're gonna be pissed. you don't believe me take a look at a carton of milk... it's litres man. litres! your cars use metric bolts with metric dimensions... how big is the eingine in your car? 5.4 litres right?

you are metric already... just don't know it.. that's all.
SHHH!

Its a sneaky attempt by the govt to get us to give up the Imperial/SAE units.

Over my 172cm tall dead body! (that's 5'8" for the rest of us)

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #15
viverrid
not dead yet
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Western Mass
Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
true true... i made the spreadsheet coz i'm a fuckin engineer. thats what i do..
Please remain calm....

Loaded, wasn't "lecturing" YOU. More addressed to the OP, saying hey, its not really that hard to figure out what your RPM will be, at a given speed where you knew what the RPM used to be, with a specific new sprocket. (And he could also test it empirically....)

I (used to be) an engineer too. (Now I just move money around.) What's that saying, "I didn't even used to be able to spell enjineer, and now I are one!"
__________________
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014