Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I can tell you from my own experience here in Sweden that horses ARE a real problem! I have a number gravel roads near the place I live, which are frequently used by horses. Problems come in times, when it is very wet, but also now in winter. There is an increased number of people who are cycling from home to their job and used those same roads, but now in winter, when hard packed snow forms on those roads, it's very hard with a standard bike (without full suspension) to cycle on it. Why can't the riders simply stay on one side and keep the middle lane for others?

But this is just a minor problem.

The major problem is that horse riders take their animals out on public roads, without training the horses before to tolerate motorized traffic. I have many times experienced, that horses get easily frightend and once this ended nearly in a catastrophy when a horse drawing a carriage started getting mad. Fortunately this happened on a wider road, I was on the far left - and the horse started kicking agains me! And no: I am not excessivly loud, my 690 still has the standard exhaust mounted!

What makes me angry in such a case is, that people take out their horses even if they are not suitable to be in public traffic. Every car, every motorcycle, even my bicycle needs to fullfill certain safety spec, cars & bikes are tested frequently which is required by law. but most horses would not pass such a test! But in the end it's the guy on the motorcycle, who will get blamed if an accident happens.

But to get back to the KVR: I will probably skip it completely (besides of a bicycle day trip in the Myra Canyon ) and do some parts of the TransCanadaAdvTrail instead.