Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #31
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,118
I'm intruiged by the design.

I absolutely love my asus Transformer tf 300, with the keyboard dock it's a netbook, that I can just pull the screen off and becomes a tablet. ICS is a very nice, polished OS.

That being said, (and the fact that I hate microsoft almost as much as apple,) I'm interested. If you can hack this and run android (on the lower one) and linux proper on the bigger one, I'll definitely keep my eyes open for one eventually. I agree, pen usage is awesome, I loved my newton back in the day.

Craptacular low light photos of my transformer playing alice in wonderland being streamed over wifi from my media server.
Technology rocks!

my only beef with my transformer is it can't reply to advrider, for some reason space bar backspaces to before the word you just typed. weird.

life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #32
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
And the Jobbies strike back

What is an iPad but a laptop minus a DVD drive and a hard drive (and a usable USB port) ? As for Windows ? Never had an issue with it...
Your gaslighting.

First off, I'm barely a user, let alone a fanboy, but I'm pretty clear that the tablets are not intended for serious production of anything, and all the pretending in the world that the tablet is a 'serious computer' is just bullshit.

Tablets are great for a lot of things, but mostly consumption of information as a web portal device. Nothing at all wrong with that - I use mine all the time but I never try and write anything important - is it less useful?

I'm not a business user, so the tablet works for me - I have a laptop for those times like now, when I want to write a longer reply, or when I need to do more powerful work.

Berating a tablet for not being a full on laptop is like bemoaning a car for not being a boat.

There really are no major problems with Windows that weekly security patches can't fix. And I sure wish I could figure out what re-directed all my desktop icons so that I can't launch the apps anymore. Nothing I did.

But other than that, it's an almost perfectly stable system.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #33
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Your gaslighting.

First off, I'm barely a user, let alone a fanboy, but I'm pretty clear that the tablets are not intended for serious production of anything, and all the pretending in the world that the tablet is a 'serious computer' is just bullshit.

Tablets are great for a lot of things, but mostly consumption of information as a web portal device. Nothing at all wrong with that - I use mine all the time but I never try and write anything important - is it less useful?

I'm not a business user, so the tablet works for me - I have a laptop for those times like now, when I want to write a longer reply, or when I need to do more powerful work.

Berating a tablet for not being a full on laptop is like bemoaning a car for not being a boat.

There really are no major problems with Windows that weekly security patches can't fix. And I sure wish I could figure out what re-directed all my desktop icons so that I can't launch the apps anymore. Nothing I did.

But other than that, it's an almost perfectly stable system.
Ah, the old 'Windows is shit because it needs a patch every 2 seconds' argument ALL computers occasionally go TU - even, gasp horror, Apples. For the record, I have not updated this machine (on 24/7) in over a year or more and I'ts doing just fine

You make some good points but I didn't start the berating of tablets, you did. I see so many people carrying iPads at work who then struggle to even reply to an email so I'm kinda with you on the whole business angle (although I will say, I hope MS doesn't follow Apple's lead and try to convince us the iPad is a great tool for designing cars as they have in various ads - laughable).

Choice is a good thing so hopefully this will turn out to give consumers more of that.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #34
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
I really wonder if MS isn't going for a market that doesn't exist. I mean, iPad and other tablets are great for content consumption but they really suck at content creation. Do people really want to create content on a 10" screen? Is the market for content consumption tablets already saturated with Android and iPad? Microsoft has a fantastic history of missing the mark on tablets.

If that keyboard/cover thing is tactile enough to allow touch typing I will be really impressed.
I thought the same thing at first, but have been thinking about it. My job is starting to have me travel more, and I'm seriously considering this. It will be light, when I'm bouncing through places I still have a usable screen and keyboard, and IF it has a well set up docking option where I can port video out to a standard screen and use a full keyboard and mouse when its on my desk, this utterly fills the tablet/laptop niche for me for MOST cases.

I am going to give this thing a serious look & work through when it releases (as long as the above options are met & the price is not ridiculous.)
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #35
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,140
Quote:
Ah, the old 'Windows is shit because it needs a patch every 2 seconds' argument ALL computers occasionally go TU - even, gasp horror, Apples. For the record, I have not updated this machine (on 24/7) in over a year or more and I'ts doing just fine

You make some good points but I didn't start the berating of tablets, you did. I see so many people carrying iPads at work who then struggle to even reply to an email so I'm kinda with you on the whole business angle (although I will say, I hope MS doesn't follow Apple's lead and try to convince us the iPad is a great tool for designing cars as they have in various ads - laughable).

Choice is a good thing so hopefully this will turn out to give consumers more of that.
It's always amusing to watch people trying to do the job with a less than optimal tool, but that, too is the american way. Make it do.

I love my iPad in many respects, but anyone foolish enough to mistake a tablet for a full function machine gets what they deserve.

But it is sort of amusing in that MS is giving you a free keyboard with their tablet. BTW, do the pictures confound or is the MS tablet a lot thicker than the iPad?

I can appreciate users wanting more I/O ports than the 'pad, but again, are we getting into power user territory?

I suspect a big part of the tablet push is to move us into putting all of our data into the Cloud [a term I sort of dislike and a concept I'm not personally wild about].

As I said before and will say again, the iProducts are good for media consumption, not so great for content creation, and I'm OK with that.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #36
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
It's always amusing to watch people trying to do the job with a less than optimal tool, but that, too is the american way. Make it do.

I love my iPad in many respects, but anyone foolish enough to mistake a tablet for a full function machine gets what they deserve.

But it is sort of amusing in that MS is giving you a free keyboard with their tablet. BTW, do the pictures confound or is the MS tablet a lot thicker than the iPad?

I can appreciate users wanting more I/O ports than the 'pad, but again, are we getting into power user territory?

I suspect a big part of the tablet push is to move us into putting all of our data into the Cloud [a term I sort of dislike and a concept I'm not personally wild about].

As I said before and will say again, the iProducts are good for media consumption, not so great for content creation, and I'm OK with that.

I think the iPad is a fine product, but it's not a business tool in the broader sense - you are spot on about it's a device for consuming not creating (and it's not just the iPad but all tablets) despite what Apple would have you believe.

This is why this looks promising - if it combines the consumption WITH the creation (at the right price) then MS will be on to a winner (very big IF). Of course die-hard Apple fans will never be won over so for them, it's Apple all the way.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #37
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,294
Having had both the Acer A500 and a great Droid phone for over a year now, I totally agree about the content creation past returning emails and such. I would never try to use the tablet as my only business device either. It is a fun toy and useful in my business as a source for an HD video feed whilst setting up projectors or checking monitors for sure, but not as a computer.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #38
Guzz
Gutless wonder

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
I really wonder if MS isn't going for a market that doesn't exist. I mean, iPad and other tablets are great for content consumption but they really suck at content creation. Do people really want to create content on a 10" screen? Is the market for content consumption tablets already saturated with Android and iPad? Microsoft has a fantastic history of missing the mark on tablets.

If that keyboard/cover thing is tactile enough to allow touch typing I will be really impressed.
The idea that tablets are only for consumption of information is another leftover from someone's reality distortion field. Why can't a tablet be an information generator?!?!?!?!?

It's a fucking computer!!!! Let me create stuff with it!!! Let it read my handwriting. Let me type on it. Let me be able to carry it around easily. Let me share it with people. Let me use it for hours and hours and hours at a time before recharging. Let me create applications for it, ON it. Let it replace my laptop/desktop computer (well maybe let me keep one as a storage server, K?).

Hell, a tablet computer is roughly the size of writing pad of paper. Add a pen/stylist and you have something. Do you realize how much information has be generated in mans history on just this simple thing of pen and paper?!?!? Digitize it's features, and you might have something there Tex.

I haven't jumped on the tablet wagon just because what's out there isn't that good for creating information. I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a computer that just lets me play with little apps, surf the web, read a book, or do simple email/thread replies (without shitting itself)

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson
Guzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #39
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:

I think the iPad is a fine product, but it's not a business tool in the broader sense - you are spot on about it's a device for consuming not creating (and it's not just the iPad but all tablets) despite what Apple would have you believe.

This is why this looks promising - if it combines the consumption WITH the creation (at the right price) then MS will be on to a winner (very big IF). Of course die-hard Apple fans will never be won over so for them, it's Apple all the way.

Go to a Dr.'s office and tell me it's not for creation of information.

I've been to two different ones here in the Atlanta area who use them in place of the clipboard you have to fill out upon arrival. They hand you an iPad at the desk. Also, the Dr. used them to input the diagnosis into the medical software and generate my scripts. Oh, and they're two different medical systems. (Yes, I asked.)

They're being used for a lot more than just surfing the innerwebs. I suspect there are a whole lot more of very specialized business applications that you might never see if you weren't in that industry.

Of course, the die-hard Apple haters will never admit it, though.

Make that 3. The hospital that did my hand surgery had me check in on one and one of the nurses was using one when getting my medical history.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #40
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Go to a Dr.'s office and tell me it's not for creation of information.

I've been to two different ones here in the Atlanta area who use them in place of the clipboard you have to fill out upon arrival. Also, the Dr. used them input the diagnosis into the medical software and generate my scripts. Oh, and they're two different medical systems. (Yes, I asked.)

They're being used for a lot more than just surfing the innerwebs. I suspect there are a whole lot more of very specialized business applications that you might never see if you weren't in that industry.

Of course, the die-hard Apple haters will never admit it, though.

There's always exceptions of course...no doubt some are, shock horror, using a Windows box to edit movies and the like

Actually, I did say tablets and not just iPads....

I would put money on the vast majority of iPads (all tablets really) are being used primarily to view content with the odd email, document etc. As you've pointed out, there are certainly exceptions to that, but I'd wager not that many.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #41
Xeraux
Archvillain

http://www.theviewatkingplow.com/do/index.html

You do everything from ordering your drinks and food to queuing up the restaurant's music with the iPad at your table.

Again, I'm betting there are a lot more business applications for tablets/iPads that we're not aware of because we're not in a particular business.

These things are being used for a lot more than surfing the innerwebz.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #42
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
http://www.theviewatkingplow.com/do/index.html

You do everything from ordering your drinks and food to queuing up the restaurant's music with the iPad at your table.

Again, I'm betting there are a lot more business applications for tablets/iPads that we're not aware of because we're not in a particular business.

These things are being used for a lot more than surfing the innerwebz.
That's a gimmick, nothing more nothing less...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #43
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
I don't even have a shot glass full of Apple kool-aid, but I do use this mixer http://presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=59 and am lusting after an iPad simply for the ability to mix sound while wandering around the audience, giving me a better feel for what is happening in the actual listening area. So I guess that's pretty industry specific as well, but still cool.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #44
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
That's a gimmick, nothing more nothing less...
I guess haters gonna hate.

It's an application of this still fledgling technology other than intertoobs and playing Angry Birds: Full Metal Jacket. Not unlike the Dr's office or the hospital, you're updating a database and retrieving data with a remote terminal.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #45
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
I guess haters gonna hate.

It's an application of this still fledgling technology other than intertoobs and playing Angry Birds: Full Metal Jacket. Not unlike the Dr's office or the hospital, you're updating a database and retrieving data with a remote terminal.
No hating, just a different point of view to yours

Tablets are simply not business tools. Can they be used for niche aspects of business ? Of course, but will they take over from laptops ? Not a chance. Wonderful tools but they will never be viewed as essential business tools.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: