Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #46
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Yeah my bike has three springs,safety wired at that. The third goes to a washer on the front cylinder base stud.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #47
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Yeah my bike has three springs,safety wired at that. The third goes to a washer on the front cylinder base stud.
The 2 springs I have now are going a washer on the front stud. I think I need a longer spring to go to the cylinder. That might balance it out. How many spring mounts do you have on the pipe?
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #48
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmantra View Post
I just picked up a YZ465 and intend to set it up for trail riding. Yes I know the IT465/490, it better for trail use. But I like the way the YZ465 looks and it's what I have. Step 1 is to just get the YZ465 running. I kicked it over a few times and the compression ratio, seems to be real high. I wonder if the IT465 compression ratio is lower? I found the compression ratio for the IT465 at 7.1:1. But I don't know the YZ465 compression ratio. Any idea's on how to set this machine up better for woods riding?
Sell it and buy a more modern enduro type 200 would be the best possible advice here. The negatives against using a worn out out big bore MX bike for trail riding, are far more than the positives, and the difficulty in starting a 465 alone is a good reason to opt for a 200.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #49
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Shut the fuck up Captain Contrary. Find something other than your overinflated ego to massage.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #50
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,617

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #51
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Some guys, myself included just perfer riding old bikes.

I would not own a new bike if I got it for FREE. It would be on Craigslist and out the door with the money spent on some old cool bikes from back when I was a kid.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #52
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
A YZ465 makes a great trailbike. It's also an easy starting bike IMO.
ctune80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #53
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm getting the starting routine down to an acceptable routine. Step 1. always turn the gas on. I think even a new bike would have a problem, if I left that step out. Once the YZ465 is warm, it's easier to kick and starts on one or two kicks. Most of the time on one kick. I think the only way I could sell my YZ465, would be If I already had another YZ465 in much better condition, plus I knew it was going to someone who really would enjoy it.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #54
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
I'm getting the starting routine down to an acceptable routine. Step 1. always turn the gas on. I think even a new bike would have a problem, if I left that step out. Once the YZ465 is warm, it's easier to kick and starts on one or two kicks. Most of the time on one kick. I think the only way I could sell my YZ465, would be If I already had another YZ465 in much better condition, plus I knew it was going to someone who really would enjoy it.
I wonder have you ever tried something like a KDX200? It will do pretty much everything better than your 465, as well as being a lot easier to ride quickly in tight woods riding conditions.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #55
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I like the KDX200. I might even buy one some day. But it's not the same kind of beast the YZ465 is. Even the IT200 would be easier to ride, but that's not what it's about for me. Right now I just plan on setting the YZ465 up the best I can, and go have some fun. BTW I also have the remains of a 1982 YZ490. It's considered the worst bike ever by some. I might bring it back to life after I fix the YZ465, just as an act of defiance. Setting that beast up well be all kinds of fun.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #56
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More stuff to do. I got some jets and I got ready to do some more work. First a run test and a short ride. This was the first time I rode the bike on a hard surface. Rolling the throttle on in the first 4 gears pulled the front end up with ease. I couldn't try 5th because I ran out of room, plus I discovered (again) that the brakes don't work. The fronts stick and the back brakes do nothing. I better fix that. New shoes on order now. I need to install my silencer, It won't fit right unless the pipe is mounted right. New springs on order and I have to drill the new mount I welded to the pipe, for the Yamaha rubber mount to fit. I also discovered some small cracks in the pipe, So I'll fix those too. Still lots to fix. I'll try to do the carburetor, exhaust and brakes first. And work the other things in as I go.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #57
crg infidel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Nice YZ!!! That looks like a great old bike. I'm after an IT465, so I'm following your progress.
crg infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #58
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg infidel View Post
Nice YZ!!! That looks like a great old bike. I'm after an IT465, so I'm following your progress.
Cool, I'd like a IT465 or IT490's also. I'm still working on the yz465. Just pulled the clutch cover off to check the condition of the motor, and installed a new cover gasket. The rear brakes just arrived, I'll put them in too. New pipe on order. Going to still weld the old pipe as a spare, and now I'll know exactly where to install the brackets. Plus I just picked up another YZ to keep it company. Getting it ready for the woods should be fun also.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #59
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Cool, I'd like a IT465 or IT490's also. I'm still working on the yz465. Just pulled the clutch cover off to check the condition of the motor, and installed a new cover gasket. The rear brakes just arrived, I'll put them in too. New pipe on order. Going to still weld the old pipe as a spare, and now I'll know exactly where to install the brackets. Plus I just picked up another YZ to keep it company. Getting it ready for the woods should be fun also.
Excellent! Was that pic taken at the old Cooper tire place?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #60
mudmantra OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The picture is behind the old caterpillar shop. I should have enough room to get the jetting dialed in. Right now I'm waiting on the intake for the YZ490. It's cracked beyond use. The intake side of the piston looks perfect. The carburetor looks like it has stock jetting. I modified the YZ465 carburetor slide to a 3.5 today. It took a little longer than I expected. While I removed the metal it seemed like a lot, but the picture looks not that dramatic. Right modified, left stock. Now to check the carburetor one more time, to make sure I have the right jets. I don't know where to set the needle, I think it's in the middle groove now.