Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
swanker OP
Shadetree Tinkerer

Oddometer: 131
Question '83 flywheel and clutch "Plug N Play" on a '78???

Inspired by a reply in this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837268 I thought I'd start a new one to specifically find out what is involved.
It caught my eye because I have a '78 R100/7 and also a '83 R80RT parts bike and have been interested in lightening the R100 flywheel.
Could this be nearly as simple as a swap out?
I'm noticing a fair amount of false neutrals especially from 3rd to 4th and 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd which having a spare tranny/clutch on hand makes me even more intriqued.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
I need a new real main seal and clutch/pressure plate, also. I was thinking about the Southland clutch rebuild, but tell us all about the late model "no flywheel" set-up. I have a '75 R90S. Is it a simple parts replacement process? Buy the late model clutch carrier, clutch plate, etc., and "plug-n-play"? Any machining involved?
from http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837268
swanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,729
It would take swapping the flywheel (called a clutch carrier on the newer ones) clutch pack, and transmission. Sounds like you've got all the parts - go for it!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,892
You don't really have a spare transmission, wording is tricky. The '78 R100 bike has a long input shaft transmission. The '83 R80 bike has a short input shaft transmission. The two transmissions go with their respective flywheel/clutch set ups. You can change the transmissions if you also change the flywheel/clutch. So sounds like you get what you want out of this. The lighter clutch carrier and a working transmission.

The lighter clutch swap is a performance improvement many desire. I'm not sure but you may notice some more engine vibration.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The lighter clutch swap is a performance improvement many desire. I'm not sure but you may notice some more engine vibration.
Most people note the revvier feel the lighter clutch carrier gives, but I'd say the bigger benefit is lighter lever pull and a clutch that's not right on the edge of slipping (if not slipping) when you "give it the beans." It's just a better functioning clutch as well, not just lighter.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Most people note the revvier feel the lighter clutch carrier gives, but I'd say the bigger benefit is lighter lever pull and a clutch that's not right on the edge of slipping (if not slipping) when you "give it the beans." It's just a better functioning clutch as well, not just lighter.
Night and day better IMO.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Beater
SAFETY THIRD

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Night and day better IMO.
+1. I love the looks of those /5's and /6's ... but after riding a monolever, I'm sold on the technology. It's a night and day better ride.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
carpetburn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Definately worth the swap
carpetburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by beater View Post
+1. I love the looks of those /5's and /6's ... But after riding a monolever, i'm sold on the technology. It's a night and day better ride.
+1

Besides, I honestly like the looks of a Monolever more than a /5 or /6. When I look at /5's and /6's, I can't get over how much better a Monolever works.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Oddometer: 204
I agree, the post 81 clutch is much better and performance is improved. I did it to my 75 R90 using an 83 tranny.
Another reason an early, long nosed input, tranny doesn't work well with the later clutch, is the travel for the clutch activating rod is too short. The later trannies have a much different lever and rod configuration.
And don't forget that you need a 9 tooth starter.
mattcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,304
Measure the flywheel height at the center and see if it is the same as you 78 flywheel. If not you will have to change out the thrust washer to insure you have the correct end play. This is a fantastic conversion. I just did one on a 76 /6.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote