Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #1816
totomoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I got interested in the Kevlar jacket but judging from the pictures on the Motoport website and some posts in this thread, the jackets all look way too big on people, in my opinion. The sleeves look very wide and I would expect all the loose and stiff fabric to bunch up quite a bit when sitting in the bike. I think jackets should be much tighter to hold the armor in place during a get-off. If this gear is custom-made, the patterns just allow for too much room after the measurements have been taken. Opinions? Experience from Motoport owners?
totomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #1817
ultrarnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
totomoto,

I have both a stretch kevlar and mesh suit. Neither have much room underneath them. As far as the armor moving around in a crash I really don't see it happening with either of my suits. Right now I am wearing the stretch kevlar and in the winter months you have to be careful about glove selection. There is simply no room underneath the sleeves for a long glove especially considering I usually have a thin insulated layer on underneath them. Depending on what you want to wear under the suit I would recommend boosting your measurements by an inch or so.

Now having said all of that I do agree with your opinion about many of the photos and how the suits look in many of them. Both of my suits are definitly a snug fit though.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #1818
DEdge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Style vs fit

I have the
a) police stretch kevlar pants with quad armor and the fit is snug and stylish.
b) Air mesh kevlar jacket with the optional additional quad armor and the fit is snug - the sleeve cuffs do not have room to wear gloves under them without opening the velcro. I do not feel that the sleeve width is a concern.
On the style, the shoulder seam is a couple of inches beyond my actual shoulder, suspect that is to include the quad armor. Am fairly certain that the sleeves, chest and shoulder armor will not shift in a slide. If the connecting zipper to the pants is not installed or zipped up, it may ride up.

Have not seen a more durably manufactured garment.

Fit/ Protection vs style ... it's up to you.
Maybe if you ask them about the shoulder seam, they can make a change in your jacket to improve the style?
Ride safe

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by totomoto View Post
I got interested in the Kevlar jacket but judging from the pictures on the Motoport website and some posts in this thread, the jackets all look way too big on people, in my opinion. The sleeves look very wide and I would expect all the loose and stiff fabric to bunch up quite a bit when sitting in the bike. I think jackets should be much tighter to hold the armor in place during a get-off. If this gear is custom-made, the patterns just allow for too much room after the measurements have been taken. Opinions? Experience from Motoport owners?
DEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #1819
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,338
I would NOT recommend arbitrarily adjusting your measurements to achieve a certain fit. You can get a very snug fit without doing that. Instead, I would suggest to simply be VERY explicit in your order about how you want the suit to fit. Do it in writing, in an email to Wayne and/or include it in writing in the order, if you are mailing or faxing it. And be prepared to send it back for alterations once or maybe even twice.

When I ordered my suit, I was very explicit about wanting it to fit like race leathers. I only wanted room underneath to wear the Aerotex liner, Under Armor, and long johns. And that I wanted the wrist cuffs to be snug, like leathers. I had to return my suit once or twice to get it right, but there was no charge. It just cost me the return shipping. I have been ordering custom suits for almost 20 years and I have learned that you just have to expect and be prepared for that - if you're going to order custom-tailored suits by mail order.

Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #1820
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
I'm not sure there is a right answer here. It seems to me like the Ultra II and Marathon jackets are generally too big for most folks, but the waist cut are about right. I'm thinking that is by design. Motoport assumes that folks want to layer in those more touring oriented jackets, so they build in a little extra space.

Over the years, I've had a bunch of Motoport jackets looking for the right one. The best fitting one I've ever had is my current Marathon. It was custom built for someone 5" shorter and 35# lighter. It fits like a glove, but that's how I like it. It's marked S. The Ultra II I had a few years ago was marked L. Wayne himself measured me in his shop for that one. It felt good on, but there was LOTS of room for layering and yeah the elbow armor floated around a bit. My current Marathon, that fits perfect, doesn't have much space, but overall the fit is better.

Stuarts advice seems sound. Be very specific about what you are looking for, and they'll get it right. Just don't expect it right off the bat. Fit is such a subjective thing. It must make Wayne LOCO dealing with everyone's interpretation of proper fit. Add the word "custom" into the mix and that interpretation becomes even more difficult.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #1821
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Pics are misleading.

I just recently bought a set used. It doesnt exactly fit- im tall and slim, the sleeves and pantlegs are just a tad to short BUT all the pads are in place where they should be and gloves and boots are more than enough to account for the shortness. As far as safety is concerned they fit perfect.

When put on, the suit, especially jacket, looks HUGE- but its not. It fits quite snug. I can wear a thermal and waterproof liner- but it gets hard to move. If I add in my electric liner I can barely secure my helmet.

As far as summer, non-liner fit- the pads are all very snug all over. I am very impressed.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #1822
engstrom
n00b

Oddometer: 1
After reading through this thread (and some other articles) and contacting Wayne with some questions I went ahead and ordered a pair of Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Pants. When I talked to Wayne yesterday he told me they're currently running 7 days from order to shipping. He also told me that based on history it'll be 2 1/2 - 3 months from order to shipping by next month.

So the moral of the story is if you're considering ordering do it now and get your gear with little wait!

I'm very much looking forward to riding with some protection instead of the completely worthless (as far as protection goes) denim jeans I've been using. I'm planning on upgrading my jacket to a Marathon Mesh Kevlar as soon as I can save up the money.
engstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #1823
Ape76
NB

Oddometer: 168
Their GP2 track pants fit my style well for preferred "slim fit." I'm considering their Riva Cordura jacket to zip into the GP2's making a nice 2 piece however the Riva looks "puffy" in the arms for a slim guy like me...Anyone own the Riva in particular?

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=13&Itemid=38
Ape76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #1824
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Doesn't look puffy to me?.......the photo's on the site can be a bit deceiving (unintentionally).
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #1825
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by engstrom View Post
After reading through this thread (and some other articles) and contacting Wayne with some questions I went ahead and ordered a pair of Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Pants. When I talked to Wayne yesterday he told me they're currently running 7 days from order to shipping. He also told me that based on history it'll be 2 1/2 - 3 months from order to shipping by next month.

So the moral of the story is if you're considering ordering do it now and get your gear with little wait!

I'm very much looking forward to riding with some protection instead of the completely worthless (as far as protection goes) denim jeans I've been using. I'm planning on upgrading my jacket to a Marathon Mesh Kevlar as soon as I can save up the money.
its true...i ordered my marathon jacket from wayne 2 weeks agao and sure enough it arrived yesterday. however it is stuck over at my ups store box and i haven't gotten my hands on it yet...i sepnt a lot of time with wayne on the phone and with a measuring tape in an attempt to get a good slim fit from the marathon....when i gat my hands on it ill post up pix and a review here.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #1826
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Couple of hours ago I ordered a Marathon jacket in air mesh....Wayne said between 7--10 days til shipped! ,we"ll see.Also ordered a pair of their "over mittens"( pvc coated....for wet /cold) to fit over my racing gloves....I'll let ya know how those work out.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #1827
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
so I picked up my mesh kevlar marathon today .....the time Wayne spent with me on the phone paid off. it fits pretty much exactly how i wanted. much tighter than my ultra II (which will be for sale here soon ) and just enough room to fit a fleece jacket or electric liner under. the armor sayys in place and it feels very comftrable even before it is broken in.

im stoked...i finally have the protection i bought my first motoport jacket for and i think it looks good too.
when i get a chance ill post some pix so you can decide for yourself.

there was one little snafu, i ordered a waterproof pocket insert and it was made for a vertical cargo pocket rather than the flat zip pockets i had Wayne add to my jacket...he responded immediately to my e mail and they will sort it out.
all in all a great experience dealing with motoport.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #1828
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Two photos regarding fit. First is from Motoport website showing the Marathon on a woman similar to my frame, don't know about height. Remember, this photo is for advertising the jacket. Next, a jacket I tried on which I thought fit perfectly. Wouldn't you say that the Motoport is way too big? I am not convinced that they could get the fit right if I ordered a Motoport, esp. because I am rather small.

Well..those photos suck.

But more to the point- those images are people standing, not riding. My suit fits much better while in the riding position than in the standing position, where it is pretty awful.

So- as a fashion statement, you'll be unsatisfied with the suit.

As riding gear, you may (or may not) be satisfied.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #1829
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Doesn't look puffy to me?.......the photo's on the site can be a bit deceiving (unintentionally).
Early this month, Wayne told me he is planning on updating the photos on the site. Many of the photos are of an employee wearing an item, not the individual for whom it was tailored.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #1830
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Yea, some photo updating is in order especially on the Marathon mesh page!.More detailed photo's,collar differences,how pants and jacket zip together etc,etc,.