User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #631
spaceharrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Pants over boots

(Noob rider here: 6 weeks or so on a 96 GSF600S.)

For those that own the Air Mesh Kevlar pants: I'm thinking about a pair to replace my existing generic mesh pants. I have a few requirements that seem like a good fit for these pants:
  • Heavy duty abrasion resistance
  • Armor in knees, seat, hips
  • Comfortable up to 90F
  • Zip to attach to jacket
  • Optional: Can add waterproofing
  • Can get on/off without removing boots
All seems pretty clear except for that last one. It's important for maintaining ATGATT and saving a couple of minutes at each end on the commute. Any owners comment if the pants have enough room to get on and off easily over (ankle length) boots?

(I see that one leg is fully zipped, but not the other.)
spaceharrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #632
vagt6
Bit the Bullet

Oddometer: 832
No problem getting the pants on or off with big riding boots on. The zippers on the lower legs of the pants are very long and open the bottom of the pant legs very wide to easily accommodate large boots.

In fact, I often put my riding boots on before I put the pants on: the boot kind of leads the way for your foot through the leg of the pants (if that make sense).

No problemo.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #633
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase79
I'll only lose the cost of shipping two ways since Wayne has agreed to take it back if it's not suitable for me.

- M
Id say thats worth it simply to try it.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #634
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally

Jim? Who's Jim?
post 627
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #635
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceharrier
[*] Can get on/off without removing boots[/LIST]All seems pretty clear except for that last one. It's important for maintaining ATGATT and saving a couple of minutes at each end on the commute. Any owners comment if the pants have enough room to get on and off easily over (ankle length) boots?

(I see that one leg is fully zipped, but not the other.)

One leg is fully zipped, the other un-zips up to about mid to high thigh. No problems with boots. These pants are even easier to get on with boots on than my Darien pants. The Dariens un-zip to within about of foot of the waist on each leg, but there is still some difficulty with pants riding up.

With the motoport un-zipping one side entierly and just wrapping it around my waist is a very easy way to get in and out of the pants.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #636
FehdEx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Motoport Ultra II stretch kevlar arrived!

Happy days are here again!
After my first good crash in April I decided it was time to upgrade to some real riding gear. Yes, the Firstgear Mesh I was wearing did it's job, but was destroyed on this getoff of less than 25 mph. Don't worry, I'll always have a little piece of that suit...in my elbow.
So thus begins my anal retentive self in search of the best riding gear I can, or cannot, afford. I here about Motoport. I read through this whole thread (took a while) and I even meet a couple of guys with Motoport. One has stretch kevlar and one has mesh kevlar. Both are great. I weigh the options and pull the trigger.
Welllllll, it arried Wednesday and I can hardly wait to get back out there. The doctors have, mostly, approved me to ride again (no more crashing for a while) and I can hardly wait until tomorrow.
From my initial impressions I feel confident my choices were right on. From the moment I put it on I felt safer. The fit seems spot on, but I'm going to ride a few weeks and break it in. My only negative...one of the zippers was missing a pull. Whatever!
OK, it's almost Motoport testing time. (minus the crashing part)
Below is the list of my mods and their pricing. This is basically a cut and paste from email correspondence with Wayne.

Ultra II Stretch Kevlar. Jacket and Pant
$429.00 Jkt, $299.00 pant
Black
Quad armor $299.00
Extend reflective strip down arms. $29.00
Add right forearm pocket.$19.00
Add Velcro tabs to hold down collar.
Remove logos.
Add reflective to all pocket flaps. Chest, waist and pants pockets. I know, it's more than one could see while riding, but it can't hurt and I'm going for this black and silver thing. $59.00
Add hip pads in pants. $49.00
Include waterproof liner. Jacket and Pant $228.00

No thermals, I'm getting some heated gear for when it's really cold.

Let me know what the total is on this. I'm going to need to resave to buy gas! Oh well, worth it to me if I'm safe.
Total: $1,411.00

Here's where the first round of pictures live:

Motoport Ultra II stretch kevlar">
http://picasaweb.google.com/f/img/tr...background.gif) no-repeat scroll left center; height: 194px; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" align="center">
Motoport Ultra II stretch kevlar

1995 BMW R100 GSPD Classic "Bridgit"
1975 BMW R90/6 "Antje"

I do have an amazing skill to be totally correct about things I know nothing about
FehdEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #637
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Motoport Kevlar Gloves

I own the air mesh 3/4 jacket (HIGH VIZ) and pants (GREAT GEAR AND WORTH EVERY PENNY IMO) and thought I'd try their new kevlar gloves.

They are nice gloves - having said that, for the money I would NOT BUY THESE AGAIN.

Why? Made in China (like almost everything else now these days) & 4 the money ($129.00) there are other options that are in this price range that IMO provide better protection & comfort from other manufacturers that are available from Alpinestars, Held, Olympia, Rev'it, Teknic to name a few.

When it comes to protective clothing (Aerostich, Motoport, Joe Rocket, etc.) invest in yourself & those you Love & buy the best gear you can afford - if you ever had to use it, you wouldn't regret it.

Happy trails,
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #638
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
I've got stretch kevlar pants. I'm considering some mesh pants for summers. Not necessarily Motoports, but, possibly. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both stretch and mesh motoports? I've got a mesh jacket, that is great. I know the difference in the two materials. I guess I just wonder if airflow is really going to be enough to have both, esp. sitting on an ADV with that big ass tank blocking most airflow
Or, maybe mesh jeans? Does anyone have those? Photos?
I've got the stretch kevlar pants and recently rode a 1020 mile round trip over Fathers day weekend from Ky to Arkansas and back in temps in the high 80's, low 90's and high humidity. I wore shorts under the stretch kevlar pants and you could feel some wind on your legs and I stayed quite comfortable in them.
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #639
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,583
OK, a little history; I've read this and other threads about Motoport/Cycleport. Somehow my closet had ended up stuffed with gear mostly bought on closeouts. Yes, I DO have a KLR.

Last summers biggest ride was from Phoenix, AZ to West Yellowstone, MT. in July. Hum, 116 degree temps to the 40's...what gear to wear? I had a pair of Gericke mesh pants for summer and a pair of Firstgear HT overpants for winter. I had a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket or a lovely Roadgear winter jacket. The brutal temps here made putting on any of the winter gear unbearable so I left wearing the mesh and packed a pair of rain overpants and jacket.

Needless to say, the gear never covered the range of temps or weather conditions. (But it was an awesome trip! ) This past December saw a change in diet and up till now a 45 lb weight loss. My old pants were simply falling off. The last couple of trips had the belt cinched up tight but I still needed to add some suspenders to hold them up. Time for new pants!

The kids were out of school the last Thursday of May and we were off to SoCal for a weekend of fun! I called Wayne 2 weeks in advance of the trip to discuss his different products and we both agreed the Air Mesh Kevlar was the right choice for me. I timidly asked about the possibility of coming by on the Memorial day holiday weekend and to my surprise Wayne said "Sure, no problem!" We made a tentative date for Saturday and he even gave me his cell number!

Fast forward to that weekend, I called Wayne from LA, and he said Saturday was not good for him but would Sunday be OK? Um, heck yeah! He gave me easy directions and the family and I drove down early Sunday morning.

I can't begin to tell you how much I learned in the next hour and a half and how committed Wayne is to making the best, most protective motorcycle gear in the world. He gave us the full tour, let us try to tear his different fabrics and graciously answered every question we had. Seeing samples of the EXACT same brands and model of gear that I owned that had been crashed in and then seeing Motoports crashed gear really drove the point home and left no doubt in my mind.

I ordered new gear on the spot! The Ultra Mesh Kevlar pants with hip armor and reflective stripe and 3/4 length jacket in hi-viz with reflective stripes. All with the latest quad 4 armor and full liners. Wayne measured me then and there.

My new gear arrived last Tuesday ahead of schedule! I actually started giggling when I tried the pants on! You see I have really short legs (29") and my feet had never popped out of the pant legs of any motorcycle pants I had ever tried on before! I usually have to put boots on before I can walk around to keep the pant legs from tripping me.

To corrupt a phrase, the pants and the jacket both fit like ME a glove! If for no other reason, you should consider Motoport/Cycleport for the custom tailored fit alone! :priceless:

I wore them on a 200 mile ride on Wednesday :woot! The temps ranged from 78 to 111 degrees and the gear fit and performed perfectly without any liners installed.

I HOPE I never need the crash protection built in to this gear. But I will ride and sleep better knowing it's there. The comfort and fit are just a big bonus!

Thank you Wayne!
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #640
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
I finally broke down and ordered my set of Motoport mesh gear (Ultra II jacket and Air Mesh kevlar pants). I looked at the site three years ago with my friend when I first started riding. The only crash information I could find at the time was a study commissioned by Cycleport on the tear strength of kevlar. I was suspsicious. I was so turned off by the Web site and lack of anecdotal crash reports that I forgot all about them. I now have two bins full of different riding gear: perf leather for summer, solid leather for two seasons, and textile gear for late fall/winter riding. I have three different pairs of gloves. A bad gear mismatch (waterproof textile in 90F heat) ruined my May trip to Georgia. I wanted one set of gear for all conditions.

Thanks to this thread (I read every post on every page) and my friend's friend (she's had her jacket for two years) I revisited Motoport and was very impressed with the apparent crash-worthiness of the product and the company's customer service and order production improvements.

I wound up getting:

Black Ultra II mesh jacket, debadged, Gringo pocket on the right wrist, and reflective strips down the arms. Double liner.

Black air Mesh pants, debadged, with hip armor. Rain liner.

Kevlar gloves.

The nice gal on the phone said my order would take about five weeks to process. I am hoping I get the gear in time for my birthday in mid-August. I am taking a short motorcycle trip this late summer/early fall with my stepfather and hope to have the gear all straightened out by then.

Discover card and my skin thank this forum.

DrFaulken screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 05:01 PM
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #641
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaulken
I finally broke down and ordered my set of

If you've read this thread, and think you may cut off the man boobs like a few have, you might want to get another "napoleon pocket" so you will still have two usable chest pockets even without the moobs..

I've got two napoleons, but also both moobs at this point too...

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #642
Will DaBeast
Go United

Oddometer: 1,299
I didn't read through all 43 pages to find out. But how in the heck do you get into the Motoport website? If I go to www.motoport.com I get this page

which is great but if you don't already have a username and password you can't get into the site to get a username and password
BMWMOA #127619
Will DaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #643
08Uly
'08 Uly Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Looks like Wayne's web host took a dump...

If you own a Buell Uly XB12X take a moment to add your data to my Uly MPG Database! Thanks!
08Uly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #644
Schwinn
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I, too, broke down and bought the air-mesh pants just before my recent 2500+ mile trip. Basically, after reading all about people's spills, I was very concerned that me and my jeans would be a very dumb idea for such a long trip.

Anyway, I tried calling in and ended up speaking with some woman, who was very helpful, but kept telling me that I was not a standard size with the measurements I was giving her. Bottom line, the numbers didn't make sense. She couldn't figure it out, so she connected me to Wayne, who was very clear about the measurement technique, and after a little more figuring, he found that I was simply doing it wrong... and that I was a normal size, fortunately. Kudos to excellent and patient customer service/sales from both Wayne and... I don't remember her name!

Anyway, I wore the pants throughout my entire trip. I can say that it was certainly a little stiff at first, and the knee pads really annoyed my knees. But, after a few days, they molded in just fine and now they feel weird when standing (because they curved for my knee, of course).

The pants are AWESOME. They aren't cold or hot, really. Sure, they are not like wearing nothing (I was wearing jeans underneath the entire time) so, yes, you do notice that you are wearing another layer, but for me, at least, it wasn't that much warmer than without it. Put another way, I pretty much always wore the pants, even when not on the bike. My friends kept asking, "you're putting on the pants NOW?" but really, it wasn't a problem at all. Sure, they weren't the most attractive pants for casual wear, but I didn't care... the point is, they were great.

As a rider of a CBR954RR, I was concerned with a few people mentioning that the pants can sometimes bunch up behind the knee... at first, I thought this was happening, but after everything formed in properly, it was fine and didn't cause a problem at all. What's more, though the bike spews lots of heat onto the underside of my legs, it was certainly a little less of an issue with the pants, which was a nice bonus. Of course, when moving, the pants breathed wonderfully, and felt "invisible" from a hot/cold perspective, even on 95F days on the highway.

So, longer story short - the pants were great in hot and cold weather, they breathe wonderfully, and they feel sturdy enough to protect me (without me having to test it, thankfully!) Considering the results from others, I am not worried about that.

I love these pants, and can highly recommend them to anyone. Excellent product, excellent service... what's not to love?
Schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #645
SS 3030
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

Hi
First time post, great site. I just got my Air Mesh Kevlars; went in to see Wayne Monday morning for a fitment and got a call they were finished today! These pants are great and fit pefectly. Hopefully I'll never have to "test" them to find out. Great customer service. Wayne did tell me that he was going to raise his prices (probably this week) as the cost of Kevlar has gone up. Again, kudos to Motoport.
SS 3030 is offline   Reply With Quote