Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #76
Gringo OP
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetshusband
New today to site, First Post. Wayne from Motoport referred me to site...

Wayne referred you to THIS site?

(BTW I live on Cape Cod, not near Boston, though much of Boston does move here for the summer to make the riding suck...)

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #77
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Many thanks guys.

Was pondering the stretch, just so the armor, etc, would stay in place better. however, seems like everyone's saying the regular non-mesh will stay in place just fine by itself.

Called today to get their hours of operation. (they weren't open on Sat.)
It's M-Fri 8-5 That's Cali time, so I'll be able to call them when I get off work in FL tonight and get put on the waiting list.

I really wish they had a dark gray color.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #78
charleshmosesii
No skills no worries

Oddometer: 824
In case I didn't say my opinions on the Motoport before:

1. Mesh is more versatile, as you can warm up a suit with layers but you cannot cool one down. Maybe the mesh kevlar with the rain liner is roughly as warm as the stretch kevlar alone? You get the point.

I rode the highway last night in freezing temps and was fine with my new Motoport Ultra II kevlar mesh jacket -- layered underneath of course. Granted I live in FL, but I ride all over and bot this suit thinking it was adaptablel for all temps -- desert or snow.

2. I think my Motoport Ultra II kevlar mesh suit is the best all-around suit I can obtain for universal protection, and durability. It is new to me so its hard to tell, but it feels like it'll last for years and years.

This critical analyzer of gear has become a big fan.

I'm afraid that its a one man shop and Wayne will quit someday and this suit won't be available anywhere else, I wish others made suits like it.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #79
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

My bad.
I must have screwed up the terminology.

I meant that I plan on getting the mesh. The non-stretch kind. The one that Gringo's picture showed the light shining through.

thx charles.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #80
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
Pulled the trigger

I finally pulled the trigger today. I just ordered up Motoport Ultra Kevlar (stetch) jacket and pants. Counting down ... 12 weeks to delivery!

I was very excited to see and maybe buy Rev-It's new oversuit that was due to come out MONTHS ago. I'm very sad that Rev-It didn't get their suit out earlier. Oh well.

The deciding factor for me was getting an oversuit that also breathes. This way I hope I can continue to have just one suit in my closet. I'm hoping that even Boston summertime commuting I'll be fairly comfortable in the Motorport gear. I considered getting 2 suits (1 hot/mesh suit and 1 regular suit). But in the end having 1 set of nice gear seemed like the better option for me.

A big change for me is going to the "inner liners" for rainsuit. I'm not sure how well this is going to work out. But, for the most part, we only get a handful of rainy days every year.

So now with my decision made, I don't know what I'm going to do with all my free time. I've spend hours and hours trying to figure out the suit that is best for my needs.

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #81
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Ya, I sucked it up and ordered the motoport pants a week ago.

FYI. they don't use real gore-tex anymore.

I'm not real happy about it, but there it is.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #82
Mr. King
Adventurer Lite

Oddometer: 276
Laugh I pulled the trigger...

...and ordered the Ultra II Kevlar jacket and pants with the non fleece liner. The jacket is hi-vis and the pants are black with as many acres of reflective material as I could get.

I spoke with a lady named Christy (I hope I spelled that right) and she was absolutely pleasant and professional. Christy calmly talked me through the measurement process and actually made it quite easy!

I am happy with my first contact with Motoport and now wait like a little kid for my new riding togs!

I have been wearing an AeroStich one piece Roadcrafter hi-vis (my 'Chick Magnet' suit) for the last two years and have been happy with it for the most part except when the temp gets over 80 degrees. I really hope the Motoport is the answer to the hot weather riding blues.

I will try to post a review in a separate thread when the suit comes in.

MacMan
Old 03-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #83
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,925
Pleasant surprise

I recently got my Motoport gear I ordered at the beginning of December and it arrived a couple weeks earlier than he predicted!

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #84
charleshmosesii
No skills no worries

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew

FYI. they don't use real gore-tex anymore.

I'm not real happy about it, but there it is.
You are referring to the rain liners of course. I wouldn't be concerned...a friend who works at REI explained how there are many competing waterproof-n-breathable products to Goretex now, and many work as well or better at the same or cheaper price, and being in the business, he often chooses competitor products over Goretex. Its apparently more of a name recognition thing now, kind of like BMW being the standard for quality motorcycles maybe?!

That being said, I have the rain liner pants and jacket with my Motoport Kevlar Ultra II gear, and I find it to be of higher quality than I've seen in riding liners. They pack bulkier than the super-thin stuff (probably because they are lined themselves!), but they are real rainwear that will keep you dry and prolly last a long while. The jacket seems the same as my $250 North Face hiking jacket for instance. (Hmmm another analogy...Goretex might be akin to like North Face still being good but no longer being the standard for quality in outdoor gear, having many same/superior yet cheaper competitors now).
Old 03-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #85
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
Wayne referred you to THIS site?

(BTW I live on Cape Cod, not near Boston, though much of Boston does move here for the summer to make the riding suck...)
Wayne actually has a reference to advrider.com on his site. Of course it's not a clickable link--that wouldn't be in the same spirit as the rest of the site...
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:48 AM   #86
Gringo OP
simple by nature

thanks for the tip, Dlew -

from the Motoport UltraII jacket page:

"For the best evaluation ever made go to www.advrider.com Type in Search window (Motoport Kevlar first impressions) (50 or more pages of pictures/evaluations.) "

kewl! My is gaining notoriety! (wonder if he'll gimme a discount on future purchases?)

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Old 03-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #87
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Yeah- in about 14 years when you're riding around in threads ya damned luddite!!!

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #88
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
good stuff

Many thanks to Gringo for starting this thread. It was much needed and long overdue. It was important because to me because I couldn't get what i wanted from the website. Presentation is everything.

My new Ultra Kevlar II pants and jacket arrived a couple of weeks ago and have been trying it out. It arrived a bit earlier than expected.

I went for black--all black. No logos. Reflective Scotchlite was added to the length of the arms.

The measurements were done per the instructions on the site and I sent in a pair of jeans with the kneecap markings as instructed. It worked well and the suit fits me perfectly.

The reason I bought the suit was that I wanted the most protective and versatile armored textile riding/touring gear I could buy. All the major manufacturers were considered but Motoport stuck in my mind when I couldn't find any reports of suit failure in the the reports and reviews I read. Guys laying it down at 70mph more than once and walking away with the suit and them ok stuck in my mind.

As far as looks go I always found the suit frumpy looking. It's not that looks are a prioirty in a protective suit but there are times when I have to wear the jacket (and sometimes the pants) into work and the jacket is big and looks "inflated." (My BMW Santiago, otoh, could almost pass as a sporty over jacket.) The black hid a lot of the frumpiness and of course hides a lot of dirt so I went with it.

The stretch kevlar is very comfortable. When you have a lot of armor in a piece of clothing it sure makes it a lot easier to move if the fabric gives a little. I somewhat regret getting the reflective Scotchlite along the arms as it retards the stretch a little bit although I'm not really stretching my arms that much when I'm riding.

The Ultra Kevlar II gives me more confidence than the other riding outfits I've had. There's a lot of armor and armor in places where I haven't seen armor before: in the thighs and on the chest. It's curious to me that hip pads are an option. If you want them make sure you order them at time of manufacture as they charge more to do them afterwards. I had thought of just velcroing in some myself but they did a good job, sewing two pieces into the lining on EACH side of the zipper opening that accesses your pant pocket.

Think about this if you have one on order and make sure they get your instructions before the suit is due. It may be made sooner than you think. I had just read two face plant threads where the rider was going to order them post-plant so I decided to get it over with now. BTW, Wayne believes that more initial impacts (the most injurous) are to the thigh area but we all know hips make impact, too.

I particularly like the Kevlar reinforced seat. I've seen some BMW pants worn through in the seat area and it's not pretty.

Here's a picutre showing the wide and deep elastic waistband (very comfortable), the Kevlar seat, the back of thigh pad, and two of the four hip pads.

The pants are not as easy to get on as full leg zip pants like the HT Overpants. With the HTs I can stand on the sidewalk and zip out of them. With the Motoports I feel I should sit down to remove them. OTOH, they're nice and snug and i don't feel the knee armor is going to rotate out of place in a get-off. So what I'm saying is I might consider them as overpants and I may not use them as commuter/errand pants as much as I would another pant because it's too much trouble to jump in and out of them several times a day--on the street.

I also had them add some Scotchlite to the leg cuff flaps because I thought the Roadcrafter reflective patches were effective in this place.

I've only used it in cold weather. I ordered the waterproof liner and the insulated liner, too, and the insulated liner, while warm, is too bulky for my taste. I'd rather wear a Gerbings liner for riding although if I had to spend some time off the bike, too, I'd insert both liners. I'm in the Northeast and once you unplug you get cold pretty fast if you don't have insulation--you're running back to the bike to plug-in. I have not tried it in the rain.

There have been claims that the Kevlar blend stuff is both cooler when it's hot and warmer when it's cold. I had a hard time understanding that but now I kind of get it. Because the whole suit is breathable, the armor included, I've been standing around in my suit in a warm room and I'm more comfortable than I am in other suits that are more airtight even if breathable. I'm sure riding in the wind with a coolmax shirt will be more comfortable for me than before.

And warmer, too? I've noticed that the fabric doesn't transmit the ambient temperature as much as other fabrics. When I've ridden (or skied) in cold temperatures I've noticed that my shell is so cold that it's like wearing a cooling blanket and that the coldness of the fabric is making my insulation cold. The kevlar blend doesn't feel cold against my skin like the pure corduras and dynatecs.

I was concerned the black might be absorb a lot of heat but reportedly the same thing is happening as far as less heat transmission: the fabric itself doesn't get hot. I'll let you know in August. We shall see.

I'm not sure about the neck. It's a little too big for my taste and it's letting in a lot of air. I never wear a balaclava and I don't want to carry around an Aerostitch triangle.

All in all I'm happy and would regret the day that I couldn't order another one to replace this one when it wears out. It's a small shop and you never know what will happen.

The suit definitely has the feel of something that's been handmade. It looks like it took a lot more to put this suit together than the other "mass produced" ones I've seen and I feel I got my money's worth. There aren't too many quality custom items you can get these days that are truly functional and unique at a price that rivals "stock" items.

Thanks again to Gringo. Wayne SHOULD give you a discount. He mentions you on the phone by name in the same sentence as advrider.com!
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #89
Gringo OP
simple by nature

Great! If some fellow riders get into some great gear as a result of this thread, then that'll be a good thing. Also if it boosts Wayne's business and keeps him around longer, I'd be happy about that too...

Old 03-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #90
LarryGS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
motorport pants

Nice review. I didn't know the hip pads were an option when I got my pants made about a yr. ago! Any idea of the after-production cost? I don't dare go to the website.
I've been really happy with my pants and jacket, got the jacket, 2nd hand, about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Wayne's got a good thing going. Great gear, haven't looked back for my Roadcrafter since putting this stuff on.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote