Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #91
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGS
Nice review. I didn't know the hip pads were an option when I got my pants made about a yr. ago! Any idea of the after-production cost? I don't dare go to the website.
I've been really happy with my pants and jacket, got the jacket, 2nd hand, about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Wayne's got a good thing going. Great gear, haven't looked back for my Roadcrafter since putting this stuff on.
hello larry,

the charge for the hip pads is $49 at the time of manufacture. wayne offered to do it for the same price and added the scotchlite on the pants, too, at no charge. plus, he turned it around in three hours despite saying it was a very busy day and sent it right back out.

hope this helps.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #92
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Oddometer: 593
This thread has been a huge help, and as of last night, I'm in the queue for a set of mesh kevlar pants and jacket for my wife and I. I was wondering if anyone has any good pics of the mesh stuff (completed jacket/pants) and any suggestions/caveats for them? We're planning an RTW ride in 2007 so there will be lots of slow/dirt riding and mesh seemed like the way to go versus stretch.

Also I was wondering if any of the pockets are waterproof, or if that is an option of some sort.

We're going to measure up tonight and send in tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be able to use our new gear for most of the season!
Slappy McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #93
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw2007
This thread has been a huge help, and as of last night, I'm in the queue for a set of mesh kevlar pants and jacket for my wife and I. I was wondering if anyone has any good pics of the mesh stuff (completed jacket/pants) and any suggestions/caveats for them? We're planning an RTW ride in 2007 so there will be lots of slow/dirt riding and mesh seemed like the way to go versus stretch.

Also I was wondering if any of the pockets are waterproof, or if that is an option of some sort.

We're going to measure up tonight and send in tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be able to use our new gear for most of the season!
I'm curious to know why you decided on the mesh gear. Where are you riding RTW? Only warm climates?

None of the pockets on mine are waterproof but there is one on the inner rain jacket.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #94
el tortuga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Coincidently, I just got my kevlar (stretch) pants from Wayne today. Really nice, fit is perfect.
Even though I live in the SW, I opted for the stretch pants over the mesh for 2 reasons. First, I don't feel the heat has that much effect on my core temp and second, the stretch kevlar seemed more comfortable. That mesh seems to be some pretty coarse stuff to have as pants.
A mesh jacket sounds perfect for my needs and I'll probably end up buying one in the future.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
el tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #95
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
I'm curious to know why you decided on the mesh gear. Where are you riding RTW? Only warm climates?

None of the pockets on mine are waterproof but there is one on the inner rain jacket.
Partly because I sweat like a fat kid at the buffet... seriously though we're planning on starting off in South America and then heading to Africa or Europe. I was originally considering the stretch kevlar, but Wayne suggested that at slow speeds or doing any non-asphalt work, the mesh would be the better choice.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:30 AM   #96
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Just FYI I found that putting a windproof rain jacket/pants over my streach kevlar motoport suite actually is quite warm. Its a little more hassle than wearing a more normal winter jacket in cold weather (which is what I usually do) but on long trips where there will big temp swings I always chose the kevlar suite and pack a rain suite for wet or cold conditions. If its going to be really cold I'll bring my electric vest too, which combined with the windproof stuff over the kevlar suite is plenty to keep me comfortable in extended sub-freezing temps.

For the record I have the streach kevlar GPII suit and an Ultra (cordura) Jacket. The armor is the only thing about them I'm not crazy about. Its just kind of bulky and generic. Seems as though it was all cut from a big flat plate of armor rather than specifically molded for each location. Its especially noticeable in the elbows where the armor isn't pre-cureved at all. Kind of like riding with stiff cardboard in your kit.

The material is awsome, breaths quite well, comfortable and seems very sturdy (have not crash tested it yet).

I would like to add a mesh kevlar Ultra II suit to my closet as the GPII pants are a bit of a hassle to put on and off for every day commuting.

BikePilot screwed with this post 03-31-2006 at 06:37 AM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #97
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Off the fence...

Many thanks to Gringo and all others who have posted to this thread. I was completely unaware of Motoport apparel until about 1 month ago. I have been wanting to replace a pair of Firstgear HT Overpants that have become too small (mid-life spread) and have always been too short and bulky. I've done some exhaustive research trying to find a reason NOT to buy Motoport. Here's what I've found:

The biggest complaint I've heard is isolated poor customer service which I mostly attribute to overly demanding consumers (no offense intended) and a "one man" operation at Motoport. I myself am a very conscienscious consumer and the ~$900 I'll be spending on this suit does not come easily to me. I understand the dynamics of operating a small business and having limited staff. In my opinion, being able to talk to Wayne himself nearly every time I call, or having him promptly return my calls make up for the lengthy production time or frustration of dealing with someone who can't answer my questions or gives me bad information. My first conversation with Wayne was on a Friday ten minutes after his closing time when I recieved his return message. He said in his message that he would be at work a little late and he answered the phone himself when I called. Although Wayne had to make a delivery that evening, he spent more than 20 minutes talking with me and answering my questions. Try and get that level of service from a larger manufacturer!

All other complaints I've heard on the Motport apparel have been rather scarce. They were regarding price, the internal liner catching velcro easily, a weak jacket coat hook and the apparent inconvenience of internal rather than external liners.

We all know price is a personal decision and based on one's financial situation and desired level of protection. If it's worth it to you, you'll pay for it.

If the internal liner catching velcro is a problem I feel I can deal with it. I am notoriously easy on nearly everything I own (except tires and the throttle!).

Wayne told me he uses a pretty durable material for the coat hook (I don't recall what he said it was) and has received very few complaints about it. Wayne said he uses his coat hook all the time and has had no problems with his.

The claimed overlapping temperature ranges between having the Aero Tex liners in and out answered any concerns I had about internal liners. First off the liners breathe so it's not like I'll be wearing a plastic bag. I talked with Wayne in detail about going with the stretch or mesh Kevlar. My riding temps. will range from 20 deg. F to 115 deg. F and all weather conditions except snow or ice. I decided to go with the mesh (central Ca. weather) and should be comfortable with the liners out from 120 deg. F down to ~55 deg. F. With liners in, Wayne said I should be comfortable from 70 deg. F down to at least 20 deg. F with as little as jeans on underneath. Where I mostly ride, the temperatures don't usually fluctuate more than 20 degrees when the highs are 70 or below.

In the end, it was the quality of production, custom sizing, durability, warranty (7 years!), ability to be repaired and year-round wearability that made my decision. I'm going with the Air Mesh Kevlar pant in black with hip armor and the Aero Tex liner. I'm also getting the Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar jacket in black and blue also with the Aero Tex liner. I decided I should be able to wear thermals and a single layer of polar fleece under the liners to keep warm most of the time. If that's insufficient I could get some heated gear, but for the limited cold weather riding I do here in Ca. I don't think that will be necessary.

One other thing I learned while searching for information is that Wayne will give a discount to MSF instructors. Some older reviews claimed as much as 20% to 30% off. I sent Wayne a copy of my instructor card and happily accepted the 15% discount he extended to me. I didn't press the issue with Wayne, especially since I think the gear is worth the regular price. If there is any truth to the previous discount amounts I would chalk up the difference to Wayne's gear gaining popularity.

Again, if anyone has any recommendations on how I might want to customize this suit, please let me know. One week down, 11 to go!

Kev

2005 BMW R1200GS
1997 Yamaha YZF1000
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #98
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Congrats, I'm sure you'll like it.

I would have the liner or a waterproof over-jacket (my perference) with you on those 55F mornings. Frankly, I'd freeze wearing mesh in 55 F weather, but then I don't really have any wind protection either.

In 20F weather you'll want an extra layer or two under the jacket, but will be fine. An electric vest is nice, but not necessary ( I commuted year round for several years in NoVA without one and survived. This past winter was my first with one and I must admit I'm adicted:)).
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #99
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Congrats, I'm sure you'll like it.

I would have the liner or a waterproof over-jacket (my perference) with you on those 55F mornings. Frankly, I'd freeze wearing mesh in 55 F weather, but then I don't really have any wind protection either.

In 20F weather you'll want an extra layer or two under the jacket, but will be fine. An electric vest is nice, but not necessary ( I commuted year round for several years in NoVA without one and survived. This past winter was my first with one and I must admit I'm adicted:)).
Thanks for the tips. I don't plan on going anywhere without the liners unless it's the middle of the summer or I'm going on a long trip.

It probably doesn't compare to riding with the Kevlar gear but my reference point is that I can do short rides (less than 1 hour) wearing just jeans in temps. down to 50 deg. F as long as I'm wearing a warm jacket (liner in) and warm gloves.

I'm not real informed on the bulk or cost of thermal underclothes that would keep me warm under the Aero Tex liners down to 20 deg. F. I'm hoping that a medium-weight (Polartec 200?), snug-fitting lycra/poly layer capable of wicking away moisture would work so I can keep the uninsulated fit of the gear as close to ideal as possible.

Not to change the subject, but does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:22 PM   #100
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
suggestions which i've placed with my order for pants:

1) no logo on the front flap. I'm a plain jane type of guy.
2) Wayne said the elastic-like (??) waist band will go up and down several inches. I asked him to make mine +1 to +2 inches since, having a 31" waist, isn't likely to get smaller, but eventually will probly get bigger

For the jacket, which I plan to buy maybe next year after I wear out my revit air-flow...:

1) full, closable, cross-strapping high neck. That's right... turtleneck style. Just how i like it.
2) small forearm pocket like Gringo referenced from the "stich"
3) Tightening straps on the upper and lower arms to take out slack. If you haven't seen them, check out the revit airflow jacket's version of this. I don't know if cycleport has such a thing, but it's basically a flap that attached to 2 different snaps. You can loosen and tighten depending on underclothing so that your sleeves aren't flapping in the breeze.
4) if you want more visibility stripes...

One more suggestion on the mesh vs stretch debate.
I live in Florida. For 7-9 months, it's the surface of the freakin sun hot outside. I grew up in Kansas. Get's really cold in the winter.

You can ALWAYS put more clothes on. You can't always take em off.
I expressed my concerns about heat and cold to Wayne and he said with nothing but a pair of jeans and the un-insulated liner, you can easily ride in weather down to the 20's.

Wayne sent me a small envelope of sample fabrics. The mesh certainly seems stronger. Just is a thicker weave. I was worried about comfort, but really, the inside sleeve-like liner will be what you feel and it's the same in both types. He also sent a small document showing the strength and tear resistance ratings of mesh and stretch vs leather, cordura, etc.
I'll try to dig it up this weekend and scan it and put it on here.

If I can find the small pieces of fabric, I"ll post here and if anyone wants them, I'll send them in the mail. Kindof a pass-it-on type of thing.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:07 PM   #101
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Customizing

Datchew,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will consider all and probably request many that you suggested. I especially like the sleeve (and possibly leg?) tensioners you mentioned. That would make it easier to fit larger layers underneath in colder weather but still allow a close fit when it's warm. I was also considering subdued (black) retro-reflective stripes instead of the white (if available).

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
He also sent a small document showing the strength and tear resistance ratings of mesh and stretch vs leather, cordura, etc.
I think the tear and abrasion strength list you're referring to is listed on the website under "save your hide".

I've asked Wayne for some high-resolution pics of his standard color schemes. If I get them, I'll be sure to post to this thread so others can see. I think there are some, myself included, that would still like to see a few more detailed pics of this gear.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #102
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Cool.

Actually, early in this thread, Gringo (i think) posted some good up close pics of the material.

Wayne said theres some kind of tightening strap on the legs of the pants that comes standard when I asked him, but there's still the jacket which I didn't ask about.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #103
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,926
The tightening strap on the legs is to adjust the fit around your boots. With the stretch Kevlar I don't think the adjustment straps are necessary. The material does not have any tendency to flap. My Joe Rocket Alter Ego Jacket had those sorts of adjustments, but I don't miss them on the Motoport gear.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #104
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F650GS Wayne
The tightening strap on the legs is to adjust the fit around your boots. With the stretch Kevlar I don't think the adjustment straps are necessary. The material does not have any tendency to flap. My Joe Rocket Alter Ego Jacket had those sorts of adjustments, but I don't miss them on the Motoport gear.

I'm considering having Wayne add some straps to the elbow area to take up the slack when I'm not wearing a lot of layers. I'm not so concerned about the flapping as I am about the armor rotating out of place in a get-off.

Wayne believe that that armor will conform to your body and it may not be necessary so I'm going to wait and see. The BMW Santiago jacket I own has straps around the elbow area which gives me good piece of mind.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #105
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
Wayne believe that that armor will conform to your body and it may not be necessary so I'm going to wait and see. The BMW Santiago jacket I own has straps around the elbow area which gives me good piece of mind.
I'd be interested to hear what you guys do for the straps. My order is in the pipeline as of last week so if wayne comes up with something cool I'd love to "get in on the action."