Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind View Post
Now you're just showing off with the "separate bike" thing.

Hey, check back in an let us know what you found. I'm interested in exploring more of your area.

Wife ended up not feeling well shortly into the ride, so I didnt get to sidetrack like I wanted. Maybe tomorrow morning or something Ill head out.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #32
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 316
Backyardbird

Call me cRaZy but two months out of a year, I really don't like riding. I know what you may be thinkin', January and February are miserable right?...Nope, not around here.
It's July and August that suck. Guess what...It's starting to feel like July already. So what in blue blazes does this have to do with my ride report? It was a SHORT ride.
Got up early, came back early, stayed near home. (something I haven't done much of since buying the 'Strom)

My local rides usually go one of two ways:

A.Pick a direction, (N, S, E, W) head out 100 miles (or more) in said direction, and then get myself lost for a hundred more. GPS my way to a gas station, then head home. (some people ride with be because they like that feeling, others hate it and will never ride with me again)

B. Make a detailed route in Microsoft Streets and Trips (or Basecamp) spending hours researching every little detail, carefully load it into the GPS, then disregard it within five minutes of leaving the house and go back to plan "A".

However, I was in my backyard today so I didn't do either.No way to get lost if you know exactly where you are. (Dammit)
I decided to emulate my online heroes and just took "ADV Style" photos. (Yes, I'm painfully aware mine pale in direct comparison, no need to point that out)

I "could" be on my way cross country...but I'm not.

The most dangerous thing thing I did today was eat a Ham Biscuit at the General Store. That sodium is a silent killer, baby.

Parking lot is patrolled 24/7

Now them's some "ADV" look'n pit'chers right thar boy

Wait a second, I don't see any dirt...

Or a water crossing...Or gravel. Paved roads? Really? Man, you suck.

The tinted shield increases my handsomeness level by at least ten.

Safety third.

Bowtie

Oops...

(underarm reverse off handed topbox tailshot) Well dang, now the boy's just showing off...Still no dirt, mountains, wheelies or nothin'...What a phony.

Yeah, had to hide under a pic-a-nick table from the law. (jaywalking 1991, been on the run ever since)
While getting the bike under there was hard, getting it back out was even harder.

That's enough for today I suppose...

8trackmind screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 12:32 PM Reason: Doh!
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Are you just using a normal camera hanging from your neck and snapping shots by hand? Ive though of it but wasnt sure how good they would come out.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #34
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
Are you just using a normal camera hanging from your neck and snapping shots by hand? Ive though of it but wasnt sure how good they would come out.
Yes, it's a regular old Nikon 12MP point and shoot. And I am by no means an expert on this.
The Camera is actually tethered to a D ring on my tank bag so there is no way to lose it. .
Here's my personal procedure: (yours will probably differ)
  • On a straight stretch, set throttle lock
  • Remove camera from case (also tethered to tank bag)
  • Turn camera on
  • Damn gloves!
  • Turn camera on again
  • Hold camera low and hit the button with my thumb
  • When I'm not shooting it just lays against my left leg
  • Take a LOT of photos
While they should come out like this:

Or this:

Often I get stuff like this:

Or even this:

Or this:

I just keep taking 'em. About one out of four are worth saving. (I have very low standards though )

8trackmind screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 01:45 PM Reason: Doh!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #35
FJracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Summer Riding

Gotta agree with ya on Riding in the South in the Summer. BRUTAL!
I thought NC might be a solution. Better.......IF your at some elevation. But inevitably you've got to come down for food.
FJracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #36
FJracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
You know what, I didn't want to say that and insult my TN brothers, but you're right... On top of that, the roads are damn near deserted.
I just stop in the middle of the road and watch my mirrors while shooting photos.

I might be wrong, but...Seems to be less drunken pickup truck drivers on your side of the road in those parts.
Yep! I certainly noticed less Bikes in the areas of Ark. I traveled. Traffic was thin too except near the tourist attractions. But that's pretty much the same for the roads I ride here. Very few cars/trucks to deal with.
Some pretty rough pavement the further west I went. That Hwy 22 comin' back from Mt. Magazine was the "pits". But 27 headed north from 298 was an unexpected gem.
FJracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #37
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJracer View Post
Gotta agree with ya on Riding in the South in the Summer. BRUTAL!
I thought NC might be a solution. Better.......IF your at some elevation. But inevitably you've got to come down for food.
Brutal is right. If I could export humidity to a willing buyer, I could be the next Donald Trump but alas...I may have to resume my misadventures in September.

(Yes, I'm being a "weenie" )
Old 07-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #38
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Thanks for the great post.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #39
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Thanks for the great post.
Well thanks for lookin'.

Check back later, I have another Ozark trip coming up very soon.
Don't worry about me, I'll be riding in "Dry" county's mostly so I will be completely safe...except for the deer...and the farm implements...and Jet-ski's falling off trailers.

8trackmind screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 08:23 PM
Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #40
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,432
Quote:
It is a but a mere $1.00 for the whole day.

Yeah, going straight on 232 is how I ended up on the "blind corner one lane bridge".
I can't say I cared for the area either. Still can't put my finger on why. I like riding in rural areas.
Maybe it was the faint sound of Banjo music that spooked me.

alas, that one lane bridge is no more.

I was thru there a couple of weeks ago and it was still there, but they had the road construction signs up and heavy equipment in place. It's a shame, really. I LOVE that road. There is lots of good riding in that area. I was exploring that area once and got lost, stopped to ask some locals for directions, and it turned out they were just as lost as I was. Nice people though.

I have crossed the TN River on that ferry many times. It used to be that you could ride up to the "bridge to nowhere". I walked out on it once, all the way to the end. SCARY!

I'm lovin' your RR!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #41
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJracer View Post
Recommend you explore just across the TN River(from you) sometime. 438, 128, 228, 13(south of Linden), Clifton Turnpike(out of Waynesboro) and again, hundreds of great roads between 128 and the Tenn. River.
oh yeah...

but don't tell anybody!

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #42
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

need some great roads in Middle TN? Try Hwy 99 in Lewis County. Get your map out and find Napier Lake and Big Chief Creek. Absolutely gorgeous through there. Just about any road in Williamson County. They have more dollars than sense in W County, so they paved every goat path they could find. Most of it is nice two lane black top - but there are lots of driveways leading to houses so far off the road you can't see them. The area around Leipers Fork is great, and Pucketts Grocery and the Country Boy restaturant across the road are popular places for bikers to meet on a Saturday morning. Check out Big East Fork Road in W County, one of my favorites but there is some rough pavement in there. Your V-Strom will not mind it though.

There's a road that runs south from Lawranceburg to Iron City. That one is real pretty.

246 south out of Columbia...

129 from Lynnville to Lynchburg is lots of fun...

247 from Spring Hill to Hwy 50. and from there it's just a hop skip jump to the Natchez Trace or to more great roads in Hickman County. Leatherwood Road. Primm Springs Road. Hwy 230 through Littlelot, to Bucksnort and Only. Highway 438 through Coble over to Hwy 13 will have you coming back for more. Be sure to stop at the Cane Creek Market, but bring cash because they don't want your credit card. It's a great place to stop for a cold drink and a snack. Oh yeah, it's Mennonite Country so watch out for the horse biscuits in the road! If you notice the place with the giant chain link fence near the Hickman/Perry county line, you may want to stop to see of the elk are out in the yard. Yeah, I'm serious!

I would love to show you around sometime!

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #43
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
alas, that one lane bridge is no more.
What! Dammit! I was really looking forward to surprising some other unsuspecting two-wheel future ex-friends.

Please tell everyone what it feels (felt?) like to pop out of that corner and be half way across that bridge and then wham! "where in the hell did this bridge come from, and why am I on it?"

Quote:
I'm lovin' your RR!
Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FJracer
Recommend you explore just across the TN River(from you) sometime. 438, 128, 228, 13(south of Linden), Clifton Turnpike(out of Waynesboro) and again, hundreds of great roads between 128 and the Tenn. River.

oh yeah...
but don't tell anybody!
Too late. I did 'em...and I liked it too. All were good, but 128 into Clifton, man I was laughing out loud in my helmet I was having so much fun. Good road. Clifton was an interesting little town as well.

Quote:
I would love to show you around sometime!
I appreciate it. Next time I'm about to head that way I give you a shout.

8trackmind screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 07:46 PM
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #44
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

What! Dammit! I was really looking forward to surprising some other unsuspecting two-wheel future ex-friends.

Please tell everyone what it feels (felt?) like to pop out of that corner and be half way across that bridge and then wham! "where in the hell did this bridge come from, and why am I on it?"

Thanks.

Too late. I did 'em...and I liked it too. All were good, but 128 into Clifton, man I was laughing out loud in my helmet I was having so much fun. Good road. Clifton was an interesting little town as well.

I appreciate it. Next time I'm about to head that way I give you a shout.

Cool! There used to be a one lane wooden bridge on 128. The first time I ever went thru there it was a complete surprise to me. It was the kind that had the raised planks for the car tires unfortunately they "fixed" that one a long time ago.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 07-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #45
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

The Great River Roads

Too hot to ride, too bored to stay home.

Hopped on the Landshark and headed To Arkansas

Raced a train...

Won!

This was the only other guy riding Arkansas 61 this morning

Talk about lonely...

Saw this creepy guy...again...I think he's stalking me.

In Oseola, AR

I decided not to scrap with the feral cat over the pick-a-nic table in Ripley, TN.

New cushy rump-rest pad! The Wal Marts in Memphis don't have much ATV stuff, so when I hit Blytheville I decided to see if'n they be havin' any...It works a lot better than it looks because it's an ADV approved farkle.

'Till next time...

8trackmind screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 01:32 PM