Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #1501
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Beaches

Beaches in Colombia are hard to find, and those who know where they are charge you a fortune for it. Its sad but true. If you google Baru, Tayrona, Palomino, Coveñas, Archipielago de San Bernardo, one will find incredible looking beaches. Sad thing is that most have been privatized and not for everyone. Its cheaper to fly to Honduras, Miami or Costa Rica for a well deserved vacation than staying here for the caribbean experience on the cheap. Still, there are beautiful natural places to visit, being careful and on the budget. Glad to know you are having fun. Barichara is nice for sure. Search for a place called Villa de Leyva, coming from the north you can reach it easily from a detour when you reach Tunja (ugly town). Again, a little touristy but on weekdays almost tourist free. From there ride to Raquira (a clay potter town), Sutamarchan, Chiquinquira, Ubate, Bogota for a nice ride to the capital. Safe travels!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #1502
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 322
Lalo,

Thanks for all the pics. Keep up the good and interesting RR.

Mark
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #1503
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by estebansos View Post
Beaches in Colombia are hard to find, and those who know where they are charge you a fortune for it. Its sad but true. If you google Baru, Tayrona, Palomino, Coveñas, Archipielago de San Bernardo, one will find incredible looking beaches. Sad thing is that most have been privatized and not for everyone. Its cheaper to fly to Honduras, Miami or Costa Rica for a well deserved vacation than staying here for the caribbean experience on the cheap. Still, there are beautiful natural places to visit, being careful and on the budget. Glad to know you are having fun. Barichara is nice for sure. Search for a place called Villa de Leyva, coming from the north you can reach it easily from a detour when you reach Tunja (ugly town). Again, a little touristy but on weekdays almost tourist free. From there ride to Raquira (a clay potter town), Sutamarchan, Chiquinquira, Ubate, Bogota for a nice ride to the capital. Safe travels!
I am near Lago de Tota now and heading to Villa de Leyva tomorrow.
Thanks for the info
Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #1504
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sick!!!

Yesterday morning I woke up and felt a bit off. I figured it was just the altitude considering I spent the night at 11,500 feet. I had a little headache. But later in the day, I started to feel tired and weak. I check in to a nice hostel and went straight to my room to lie down before it was dark. And I didn't leave the room for the rest of the night. I had it coming out of both ends and felt so week, I couldn't get up to brush my teeth or even take off my riding suit.
I am feeling better this morning but I am going to take the day off to recover.
As a side note, the owner of the hostel told me the my feet and clothes sink so bad that he wants all that stuff out of his house in the morning. I guess its time to clean up my act. I also made a mess of the bathroom room but I cleaned that up.......trust me, you don't want to know the details
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #1505
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Camping at Playa Grande on the north coast of Colombia. I used my hammock for the first time. It is a little small for me but I slept well nonetheless. It has a bug net that zips over it to get the bugs out (or in).

Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #1506
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

With the use of a borrowed machette, I was able to open this coconut myself and have it for breakfast. If you have never opened a coconut before, it is hard to do without losing a finger or two

Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #1507
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Since Alex is carrying on his bike excluding a kitchen sink, his back tire dug in to the sand and he was stuck. He took the Raw Hyde riding courses and was taught to lean his bike over and fill in the hole dug out by his tire. It worked and we were on our way.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #1508
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Barichara is a cool little colonial town north of Bogota. I think I was the only foreigner there which was a surprise because it is a popular tourist attraction.
All this little towns have an old church in the center of town in a city square. Here are some pictures of the big church in town

Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #1509
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Every religion has its symbols.......
You have the laughing budha.
The elephant with lots of arms
Yen and Yang
But if you never saw this symbol before, you would wonder what this religion was about

Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #1510
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Walking down the stone-lined streets in Barichara

Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #1511
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I did this cool little hike between Barichara and Guane on the El Camino Real. I started as the sun was coming up and didn't see another tourist the whole way. I did see some of the locals using the trail like they did 150 years ago......to get from one place to another

Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #1512
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Guane was another colonial town like Barichara........just smaller.
Here are some of the sights

Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #1513
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back in Barichara, I found the "old" church. This one was half the size but twice the age of the "new". It was located on top of the hill and my favorite part was the cool old tree located out front

Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #1514
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a nice view of the town of Barichara

Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #1515
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

You don't see a lot of tourist here in Barichara. At least I didn't. There are a few hostels in town and they are expensive. And there are ever more expensive botique hotels. I found the only "campground" in town. And for $5 a night, it was a steal.

Closed Thread