Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #2221
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
La Paz

It stopped hailing and raining.
The hail pretty melted by dark
I spenT two hours trying to find a good hotel.
I was walking around the busy streets here
You canīt walk on the sidewalks here because the street vendors selling their crap take up the sidewalk and spill in to the street.
And you canīt walk in the street because the cars will run you down.
but some how you manage to get thru. Everyone is bumping in to each other. I had my Rev ít gear on so my shoulder and elbow pads came in handy. Plus I am about a foot taller than everyone
There are no manners here. And I stopped being mister nice guy and lowered my shoulders and just started body checking anyone in my way like everyone else was doing
I found a really nice hotel for only $25 a night. and that is a lot for here.
They have their own parking so I feel good about that.
All the other hotels were shit holes but were $10 or less a night
I was happy that no one messed with my bike while I was gone for 2 hours looking around town trying to figure out what to do with my bike.
There was so much hail on the road, I didnīt think it would melt until morning, but it melted fast considering it is really cold here.
But I had a hot shower, a good dinner and some ice cream (that always makes me feel better and it was less than a buck for a triple scooop with chocolate sprinkles). I got some great pics and video of the hail storm. I cant wait to post them. But it seems wifi is hard to find here in Bolivia
stay tuned
TOMORROW I RIDE THE MOST DANGEROUS ROAD IN THE WORLD.......THE ROAD OF DEATH. AND JUST TO MAKE IT MORE CHALLENGING, I WILL BE ADDING ABOUT 50 KILOS TO MY BIKE FOR THE RIDE. i WILL POST PICS
iF THIS IS MY LAST POST, YOU WILL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED
flyingdutchman177 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #2222
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

is this computer working

It stopped hailing and raining.
The hail pretty melted by dark
I spenT two hours trying to find a good hotel.
I was walking around the busy streets here
You canīt walk on the sidewalks here because the street vendors selling their crap take up the sidewalk and spill in to the street.
And you canīt walk in the street because the cars will run you down.
but some how you manage to get thru. Everyone is bumping in to each other. I had my Rev ít gear on so my shoulder and elbow pads came in handy. Plus I am about a foot taller than everyone
There are no manners here. And I stopped being mister nice guy and lowered my shoulders and just started body checking anyone in my way like everyone else was doing
I found a really nice hotel for only $25 a night. and that is a lot for here.
They have their own parking so I feel good about that.
All the other hotels were shit holes but were $10 or less a night
I was happy that no one messed with my bike while I was gone for 2 hours looking around town trying to figure out what to do with my bike.
There was so much hail on the road, I didnīt think it would melt until morning, but it melted fast considering it is really cold here.
But I had a hot shower, a good dinner and some ice cream (that always makes me feel better and it was less than a buck for a triple scooop with chocolate sprinkles). I got some great pics and video of the hail storm. I cant wait to post them. But it seems wifi is hard to find here in Bolivia
stay tuned
TOMORROW I RIDE THE MOST DANGEROUS ROAD IN THE WORLD.......THE ROAD OF DEATH. AND JUST TO MAKE IT MORE CHALLENGING, I WILL BE ADDING ABOUT 50 KILOS TO MY BIKE FOR THE RIDE. i WILL POST PICS
iF THIS IS MY LAST POST, YOU WILL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED
Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #2223
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
having 2 for 1 Pisco Sours at happy hour in Agua Calientes

Now that takes "room with a view" to another level
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #2224
AT86
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
It seems you really want to scare us.

Still waiting for the next post

Take care and be good to your body
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #2225
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Camino de la Muerta

The Worldīs Most Dangerous Road
The Road of Death
Camino de la Muerta
Jungas Road South has many names but it is considered by all to be the worldīs most deadly road.
It has had hundreds of fatalities.
There are near shear drops of almost 800 meters
The road is carved out of the side of a mountain connecting La Paz to the towns to the east of the mountains.
The mountain pass is over 15,000 feet high.
The mountains peaks have snow and ice cascading nearly down to the road itself.
About 5 years ago, the Road of Death was replaced by an all new road which is paved its entire length.
But the old road is still open, mostly for adventure seekers and other people catering to those adventurers.
It is very popular to rent a mountain bike and coast down nearly 10,000 feet in verticle elevation to the town of Coroico.
Coroico is a town that lies about 5000 feet and has a tropical feel. It give you the impression that the jungle is close by. The clouds swirl around the mountains and rain is not uncommon here.

I left the big, traffic congested city of La Paz heading east to Jungas Road.
To be honest, I was a bit scared to do this road. It is completely unpaved and it is claimed more lives per mile than any other road in the world.
And just to make it more of a challenge, I was going to ride the Worldīs Most Dangerous Road ........Two Up!!!!
You see, Kathe flew in to La Paz to share in the experience with me.
We left my top case at a hotel in La Paz.
When rode thru the traffic of La Paz asking for directions to the Camino de la Muerta along the way.
There are several roads that branch off the main highway. We were not sure which was the correct road as we were getting conflicting information from the locals.
But we finally found the correct road by asking a passing by taxi driver and he kindly justured to us where the correct road branched off the new road.
When we started, we were up in the clouds and you couldnīt see far. It was almost better not being able to see how far of a drop it was off the side of the road. But within a few miles, the clouds lifted and it became clear why this was the most dangerous road in the world.
And if riding two up on a fully loaded GSA was not enough of a challenge, then add the fact that you had to pass on the LEFT. That meant having to ride along the edge of the road and be ready for any cars coming the other way (and there were a few). My tires were always within about 2 feet of going over the side. And many places on the road were not big enough for a car and a mototcycle to pass (not to mention 2 cars).
Once I got over the initial fear of going of the side, the road became quite enjoyable. My bike was working well and Kathe made a good passenger. In fact she was loving the ride. She was using my camera to take pictures and videos as we road along.
There were places where the road was literally carved out of the side of a cliff face and water was cascading down on to the road. Sometimes we could ride on the inside of the waterfall and sometimes we would have to ride thru it. It was so much fun.
We caught up to a group of mountain bikers and past on by with a big cloud of dust. You could see envy in their eyes
After about 2 hours of riding, the town of Coroico came in to view. It was a beautiful site.......both because the town in built in the middle of nowhere in the side of the hills and because we knew that we had survived the Road of Death.
There were many crosses along the way to mark the site of previous accidents and fatalities. I couldnīt imagine the fear those people were feeling when their vehicle plunged over the side and free fell down the side of the cliff.
Riding the Road of Death was one of the highlights of my trip and to share the experience with Kathe made it all that much better.
It was on my bucket list to do this ride.
My good friend Jim got sick about 4 years ago and was not able to walk or ride his motorcycle for 2 years. While he was recovering, he was dreaming of riding this road some day. He called me and said........Ëd, when I get better, I want to ride this road with youĻ. I told him I would like to do that to but realistically, I knew the chances were slim that I would ever get to Bolivia to actually do it. Well Jim got better and is doing well. He got a new job and is busy working again. In fact he is too busy working to ride the road of death. Well, Jim..........this ride was for you! I will be posting some pictures soon, as soon as I get somewhere that has wifi to download my pictures. It might be a few days, but I just wanted to check in and tell everyone that we survived the Worldīs Most Deadly Road.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #2226
AT86
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Great stuff :::
Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #2227
Shapi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Yeah...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT86 View Post
It seems you really want to scare us.
Good to see this one come through.
Shapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #2228
Wimke1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Great report! Nice story! glad you two survived!
Wimke1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #2229
Hockley Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Nice one, can't wait for the pictures.
Hockley Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #2230
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am trying to get caught up with my pictures and posts. I am finding that the wifi sucks here in Bolivia (along with the food and the roads too).

Here I am in a little town near Machu Picchu. The water flows above ground to the houses.
I liked the dogs too

Old 05-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #2231
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The beautiful roads around Cusco Peru

Old 05-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #2232
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Miles from Nowhere

Miles from nowhere
I guess I'll take my time
Oh yeah, to reach there

Look up at the mountain
I have to climb
Oh yeah, to reach there.

Lord my body has been a good friend
But I won't need it when I reach there

I creep through the valleys
And I grope through the woods
'cause I know when I find it my honey
It's gonna make me feel good

I love everything
So don't it make you feel sad
'cause I'll drink to you, my baby
I'll think to that, I'll think to that.

Miles from nowhere
Not a soul in sight
Oh yeah, but it's alright

I have my freedom
I can make my own rules
Oh yeah, the ones that I choose

Lord my body has been a good friend
But I won't need it when I reach the end

Miles from nowhere
I Guess I'll take my time
Oh yeah, to reach there.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #2233
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Hola Lalo

Still following along, hope you can find a safe place soon
Stay dry looking forward to you RR about your special guess
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #2234
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Puno Peru

On the shores of Lake Titicaca, there's a town called Puno.
And the streets are full of vendors selling everything you can imagine and some things you can't.
All this meat goes without refrigeration and has flies on it. No wonder my stomach has not been feeling so well

Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #2235
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Coco leaves.
I bought some
Very inexpensive.
About 10 cents for a mouthful.
Still haven't tried it yet.....but I will