Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #211
Luckies_AUT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I really enjoy reading your report and I would love to do the same!

But it's not that easy as it sounds like. I agree with you that a trip don't have to be expensive. Of course there are many ways to save money. If you just ride and eat, it's quite cheap. But you should have a backup for technical issues - without talking about accidents, because shit happens and humans make failures.

At my point of view there are two reasons: money & family
Let's talk about money ...
The amount of money you need for the trip doesn't seem to be a problem. I think it's the amount of money you need to buy out your freedom. I don't know how it works in north america, but here in Austria you need a loan for starting your own life. I had a lot of motorcycles (i.e). To be serious .. parties, girls and motorcycles were everything I was thinking about as I was young. Which was a great time I don't want to miss.

If you meet someone special you want to share your life with, it won't get easier. Kids, house, car, loan ...
Even if you're just married. While my wife is talking about new furniture, I'm talking about riding thru Romania and the Black Sea... guess who will win? New furniture will be way cheaper than finding a new girl.

What I'm trying to say is, that we all made our decisions. Some of them* just don't go together. I think it's ok to have a dream. As same as to be selfish - if you don't hurt someone.
;)

*Is it "them", "these" or "those"??
Luckies_AUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #212
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
Where are you now, Ed?

I need my adventure ride report fix!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #213
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,331
late to the party, but i'm along for the ride!

i also added Hot Sulpher springs to my trip in 2 weeks, thank you very much!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #214
jaggz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great!

Great trip! Hope to do the same someday. Stay safe and keep posting!
best, jaggz
jaggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #215
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
Colorado

I went to visit my brother and his family in Colorado Springs. They live in horse country.

flyingdutchman177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #216
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Colorado

On the way to Utah, I saw a winery and had to stop in for a tasting. And the wines were pretty good. I would have bought a bottle but it was just too hot and the wine would have not lastest.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #217
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mexican Hat

There is a little town in Utah called Mexican Hat. I always wondered how it got its name. Now I know why.

When I saw it, I knew I had to rock climb up and sit under the hat. It was tough but worth it

from down below, the base looks bigger than it really is. The base is only about 6 feet by 6 feet. The scariest part was not climbing up, it was sitting under the hat!!!!! It seemed like it was impossible that the base could support the weight of the hat. I didn't stay long even though I knew that it had stood like this for thousands of years

One more cool shot

Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #218
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I need a little help here

Having some fun along the way to Zion

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #219
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

River

Crossing over the Colorado River. This is the start of the Grand Canyon and the last place to cross the River for a 100 miles (because the Grand Cyn gets in the way

Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #220
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Monument Valley

Like a scene from a wild west movie

Its all behind me now

Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #221
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome to Zion....leave your freedom at the gate

I was really looking forward to visiting Zion in Utah. I have been there a few times and I was wanting to spend some time there hiking up Angel's Landing and the Narrows. But the Zion I remembered is no more. The first thing that had changed was they no longer allowed you to drive back in to the canyon on your own. You had to wait for a shuttle to pick you up, packed full of octagenarians and then drop you off back in the canyon. The speed limit in places you could drive was only 25 miles and hour anc it was almost 100 degrees so I needed the airflow thru my jacket. And it seemed there were park rangers around every corner there to enforce the speed limit. And there were even unmarked Ford Explorers with hidden light bars and radar patrolling the park to nab you. But it didn't matter anyway because Grandpa driving that 40 foot Winnebago was only going 15 MPH and holding everyone up. And the whole park was double yellow, so you couldn't pass (legally). I was sooooooo out of there. I stopped by the visitor's center to get a permit to hike "The Subway" the next day (outside the park) but the ranger said they already issued all the permits for tomorrow (maybe about 15). He asked if I wanted to go the next day and I said "yes". And he said ok but I would have to come by the office tomorrow because the permits are issued not more than 24 hours in advance! Fuck that shit! I just spend the past 7 weeks in some of the most remote parts of North America and now I am trying to be controlled and I didn't like it. I left the park and went hiking that afternoon to the Subway with a permit and here's that story.............

Old 08-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #222
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

oooops, here's the Zion pic

Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #223
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Subway

The Subway is a hike I have always wanted to do. Last time I was in Zion, it was closed due to flash flooding dangers. The hike starts out hiking down in to the canyon. At the start, the canyon is wide. But the further back you go, the more narrow it becomes. At places, the canyon walls are only about 2 feet wide but the canyon is over 2000 feet deep. If it were to start raining and flood, a wall of water would come thru the canyon so fast, you would never know what hit you. Here is a shot hiking in to the canyon
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #224
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #225
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Video of hike - day 1

Click on the picture below to see the video
I started the hike too late in the day but I just wanted to get out of the park and away from the rangers.
As soon as I started the hike down to the bottom of the canyon, a big thunder storm rolled it. I saw a bolt of lightning out of the corner of my eye. The explosion of sound thru the canyon was incredible and scary at the same time. The time between the bolt of lightning and the thunder was less than half a second which meant it was less than 500 feet away........a close one. The thunder in the video was a small one compared to some of the others I heard. People that were finishing the hike were running out of the canyon and everyone thought I was crazy for heading in to the canyon in to the storm. I hiked for about an hour and I was the only one down there. The river started to turn red from the sand and clay running off from the mountains. I started to rethink things and got the hell out of there too. I would try again first thing in the morning