Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #3016
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
Packing light is in the eye of the beholder

I pick Kathe from the airport in Barcelona. I tell her she can bring her 2 carry-on bags.
But when I pick her up, she not only had those 2 carry-on bags packed to capacity, but she also had another smaller carry-on bag, and a small and large purse.
I looked at the stack off luggage and asked what she had brought and she said.........a diiferent outfit for every day and 15 bikinis (one for almost every day but she needed to buy three more along the way so she didn't have to wear the same one twice)......but it was actually much more than that. She had different purses, full size bottles of cosmetics, and shoes to go with those outfits, etc.
I think her idea of packing light was different than mine.......LOL
I guess it was my fault. I should have been more clear. But in any case, I was sure I was going to make everything fit. I was planning to leave a lot of my stuff behind and pick it up later to make room for her stuff. But it was not a good assumption on my part.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #3017
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Change in plans

The next day, I set out modifying my moto to make everything fit. I got rid of half of my stuff to make room for Kathe's stuff. I removed the camping gear yellow bag from the rear and moved the hard tail case to the exreme rear of the moto to make room for Kathe. I used hose clamps to mount the rear case securely to the rear. It worked well so I just figured I just needed to mount Kathe's bags to the top of my side cases and put the camping gear on top of the rear case and off we go. But it was tricky because there was no place to strap down Kathe's luggage securely. And then there was the shear weight of it all. I wasn't sure I would be able to control the moto. I spend a few hours trying different ideas but I eventually gave up and broke the news to Kathe that our trip was not going to happened as planned........
We were going to ride up to LeMans and watch the races.
Then head down to the French Riveria
Then down in to Italy.
But we had to come up with a new plan.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #3018
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

As we tried to decide what to do, Kathe and I headed to the beach in Barcelona. I was suprised by the amount of young people on the beach from all around the world. Most seemed to be college aged. I had to think how it was possible for these kids to afford a trip to Europe. It is not cheap here. The cheapest double room is 50 Euros. And food is crazy expensive. The only things that are not expensive is wine and water. But the wine I like is expensive and that only leaves the water as not expensive but since you can drink the tap water here, it is not required that you buy water.
We got to chatting and Kathe said she had never been on a cruise ship before and I knew a lot of ships depart from Barcelona. So we got back from the beach and visited a travel agent. 30 minutes later, we had booked a 7 day cruise that was departing in 3 days.
So I am going to park the bike for a few days and having someone doing the driving for me for a change.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #3019
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 767
Glad to see that Kathe has rejoined you for portion of Europe trip, and I am glad that there was bad assumption on your part because now for the next 18 days, you have to take pic of Kathe in her bikini and share it with us! That's one down and 17 to go(including the last 3 she wanted to get along the way).

Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying wines and sharing it with us. My interest in wine started real late. I started out as a whiskey drinker but grew interest in wine about 7 years ago and still have so much to learn. Wish I had a buddy who is an expert that will take the time to teach me how to taste wine properly so I could tell the difference of which is what.

And with that extra load on your bike, be careful! Ride safe!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #3020
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Sell the bike. Buy a convertible. Put that girl in the passenger seat. Change your name to Edwardo and go man, go!

And make sure the car trunk fits at least 3 dozen bikinis. (hers, not yours)
Old 06-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #3021
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,324
Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #3022
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
++++++1

Kudo to all the above comments
Looking forward to your cruise and bikini report
Old 06-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #3023
backwoods bobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
we need a going and coming shot in the bikini.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #3024
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-W View Post
Sell the bike. Buy a convertible. Put that girl in the passenger seat. Change your name to Edwardo and go man, go!

And make sure the car trunk fits at least 3 dozen bikinis. (hers, not yours)
The Convertible is home in storage waiting for us.........where home will be that is.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #3025
Shapi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
CLICK ON THE PICTURE BELOW TO WATCH THE VIDEO

Hiking in Ribera del Duero

[/URL]
Makes me want to go Braaaap!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #3026
mary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
The next day, I set out modifying my moto to make everything fit. I got rid of half of my stuff to make room for Kathe's stuff. I removed the camping gear yellow bag from the rear and moved the hard tail case to the exreme rear of the moto to make room for Kathe. I used hose clamps to mount the rear case securely to the rear. It worked well so I just figured I just needed to mount Kathe's bags to the top of my side cases and put the camping gear on top of the rear case and off we go. But it was tricky because there was no place to strap down Kathe's luggage securely. And then there was the shear weight of it all. I wasn't sure I would be able to control the moto. I spend a few hours trying different ideas but I eventually gave up and broke the news to Kathe that our trip was not going to happened as planned........
We were going to ride up to LeMans and watch the races.
Then head down to the French Riveria
Then down in to Italy.
But we had to come up with a new plan.

Try having her break up her "stuff" into smaller packages and mail them ahead of your trip. If like in the US, they will put a hold on the package if you pre-arrange it with the mailing facility or hotel of choice. I have done this when I use to fly so I didn't have to drag around a bunch of stuff in the airport or worry about expensive items getting stolen in baggage handling.

Better yet, remind the sister your not driving a car and she needs to pack accordingly for safety if nothing else.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #3027
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapi View Post
Makes me want to go Braaaap!
Yeah, I miss being on a real dirt bike
Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #3028
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The cruise ship charges 75 cents a minute for wifi.
I don't think I will be able to post those bikini pictures until I get back on dry land.
Sorry
:)
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #3029
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Before, the cruise, Kathe and I took off for three days on the moto.
She was able to get by with only three bikinis so all the stuff fit on my moto without a problem.
We took off and did a loop around the coast of Spain, the south coast of France and came back thru the mountains thru Andorra.
I will see if I can upload those pictures soon.
Heading to Monaco tomorrow
Having a great time and the wine us flowing here on the boat.
Salud
Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #3030
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
....That's one down and 17 to go (including the last 3 she wanted to get along the way). ...
great minds think alike...

Lalo, there are much worse problems to have! at least you're not stuck in an office meeting for the purpose of deciding exactly whom should be responsible for purchasing of coffee creamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
...remind the sister your not driving a car and she needs to pack accordingly...
she's doing just fine in packing (if you ask us FFs around here) and if necessary we'll take up a collection to pay for a side car hack so Kathe can pack more bikinis!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
Closed Thread