Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #3286
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,906
Lots of toll roads here in Spain too.
The last two toll booths I just rode around the gate arm.
The tolls are expense.
Same price for a car too.
But I am doing it not so much to save a few bucks.
I am doing it because it's fun.
It's fun to get away with it.
If you think this is bad, you can blame my dad.
That's right......I learned this behavior from my dad.

Back when I was a little kid, my dad would take me fishing. We had a boat that he would pull behind his car. We would drive down to the Marina to launch the boat. To get in to the Marina, you had to pay to get in. there were two different prices.......one for just a car and one for a car pulling a boat. Of course, adding the boat cost more to get in. there was no one there to collect the money. You would just put money in to the machine and the gate arm would open to let you in. of course the gate stayed open a bit longer if you paid the extra money for the boat. But my dad would pull up to the gate, put money in for just his car. And he would get this big grin on his face as he dropped the last quarter in the machine. He would scream.....HOLD ON! The engine would race. Tires would squeal. And the car and boat darted forward and the gate would come down just a fraction of a second after the boat safely past.
As a kid, it was soooooo exciting. And my dad always made a lot of drama about it.
It was actually the best part of the fishing trip.
It was certainly the most exciting.
Well at least you now know where I get it from.

I dont really know what my dad thinks of my trip.
I gave up a lot to do it.
But I am doing this trip a lot because of my dad and for my dad. I know he always wanted to travel but couldn't. So I am doing it so my dad can live thru me.
I learned a lot from my dad and this is my way of giving back.
I hope he sees it that way.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #3287
drag123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Nice RR i spend the last few days reading it wow what an adventure.
I will be in Greece for the month of August it would be nice to meet you if you are there by then.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #3288
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuse View Post
..I was standing there when this event took place. I saw the Miura parked there for the first time.....
very cool! i hadn't seen a Miura in years prior to your post and had forgotten how influential it was to the design of the Pantera, my favorite exotic.

then i googled it. makes sense now.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8547687_his...d-pantera.html

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #3289
TSRT97
I am third

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Here's how I signed the guest book

That's beautiful! Nice job with the signature! Loving every minute of your report.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #3290
Erik500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Lots of toll roads here in Spain too.
The last two toll booths I just rode around the gate arm.
The tolls are expense.
Same price for a car too.
But I am doing it not so much to save a few bucks.
I am doing it because it's fun.
It's fun to get away with it.
If you think this is bad, you can blame my dad.
That's right......I learned this behavior from my dad.

Back when I was a little kid, my dad would take me fishing. We had a boat that he would pull behind his car. We would drive down to the Marina to launch the boat. To get in to the Marina, you had to pay to get in. there were two different prices.......one for just a car and one for a car pulling a boat. Of course, adding the boat cost more to get in. there was no one there to collect the money. You would just put money in to the machine and the gate arm would open to let you in. of course the gate stayed open a bit longer if you paid the extra money for the boat. But my dad would pull up to the gate, put money in for just his car. And he would get this big grin on his face as he dropped the last quarter in the machine. He would scream.....HOLD ON! The engine would race. Tires would squeal. And the car and boat darted forward and the gate would come down just a fraction of a second after the boat safely past.
As a kid, it was soooooo exciting. And my dad always made a lot of drama about it.
It was actually the best part of the fishing trip.
It was certainly the most exciting.
Well at least you now know where I get it from.

I dont really know what my dad thinks of my trip.
I gave up a lot to do it.
But I am doing this trip a lot because of my dad and for my dad. I know he always wanted to travel but couldn't. So I am doing it so my dad can live thru me.
I learned a lot from my dad and this is my way of giving back.
I hope he sees it that way.
I'm sure he will !
My dad past away in 1998, still miss him. The way you discribed the childhoodmemory and the giving back part really moved me.
Keep posting away and godspeed.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #3291
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
very cool! i hadn't seen a Miura in years prior to your post and had forgotten how influential it was to the design of the Pantera, my favorite exotic.

then i googled it. makes sense now.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8547687_his...d-pantera.html

If memory serves me correctly, Giorgeto moved from Bertone to Ghia around the time the Pantera was designed. So he had a hand in both designs.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #3292
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRT97 View Post
That's beautiful! Nice job with the signature! Loving every minute of your report.
And the ocean, mountains and desert symbol is my trademark.
I want to change my name to this symbol like Prince did.

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 01:45 PM
Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #3293
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik500 View Post
I'm sure he will !
My dad past away in 1998, still miss him. The way you discribed the childhoodmemory and the giving back part really moved me.
Keep posting away and godspeed.
Thanks
It was a special moment.
today, I blew thru a toll gate and hit the arm and the sirens went off.
I was wondering if I was a hunted man. But the reaction was kind of like when the alarm at the front door goes off in the supermarket........no one gave a shit

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 01:44 PM
Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #3294
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I have done a lot of crazy things in my life, but tomorrow might top them all.
First I have to survive the night.
God I hope it is not pay back time for all that steak I ate in Argentina.
Tonight, I am a vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #3295
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag123 View Post
Nice RR i spend the last few days reading it wow what an adventure.
I will be in Greece for the month of August it would be nice to meet you if you are there by then.
The way things are going, I don't think I will get to Greece until October
Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #3296
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I have done a lot of crazy things in my life, but tomorrow might top them all.
First I have to survive the night.
God I hope it is not pay back time for all that steak I ate in Argentina.
Tonight, I am a vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!
Toro.......Toro.......TORO!!!!!
That was fucking nutz
Glad I don't have to do that again

Hasta Luego Pamplona

Pictures to follow
Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #3297
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Speaking of dads

Mine is in the Pamir Highway as we speak. Not to highjack this thread, but a word of respect for those who dare. No matter your age. I am just so proud and impressed. He is 60, riding 2 up on his bike. From frankfurt to korea. Some find excuses not to do it, others just give a fuck. Best of luck to all in your travels.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #3298
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Running with the Bulls

Last night I pulled in to Pamplona Spain not to sure what to expect. What I found was one huge party.
The vast majority of the visitors came to drink until they barf. For me, I came to run with the bulls. I asked two people what to expect and they told me to just party and not run with the bulls. But I couldn't come to Pamplona the week of the Bull Run and not jump in.
I wanted to get a good night sleep, but that was not going to happen. In fact, I didn't really get any sleep that night. I tried sleeping near the bull ring, but some locals advised me not to. So I went down by the river and strung my hammock under a billboard sign and tried to sleep. But the bulls running thru my mind kept me awake. I got up at 5:30 and got down to the bull ring by 6 am. They released the bulls at 8 am. I heard conflicting information about what time to get there. I didn't want to miss it so I got there early.
Everyone was packed together in a tight space and I was wondering how this was going to work. But about 15 minutes before 8 am, people already started running to the bull ring. They are Patos (Ducks). They get to the bull ring well before the bulls are even released! And to me......that's not running with the bulls. That is not even running from the bulls. That is just running to say you were a part of it.
For me, I came to run with the bulls. The day before, I walked the "course" several times to understand it. I didn't want to be caught on the outside of any of the corners. I wanted to know where the exit spots were (not many). And since it was my first time, I wanted to make sure I got the most out it.
I decided on a spot to wait for the bulls at the end of the long uphill straight away before the first turn. I positioned myself to the left because that would place me on the inside of the corner and give me more room.
My fear wasn't really with the bulls, it was the hundreds of people doing it and how they would react. It is kind of like a fire in a theater......every man for himself. And it was still crowded even after the ducks left.
Just before 8 am, I was beginning to second guess my spot. The narrow road thru the old town narrowed from about 20 feet to about 15. I was afraid I would get in a bottle neck and be forced in front of the bulls. I learned this in a mosh pit at a Cannibal Corpse Concert. In a crowd of people, sometimes you have no choice where you are going.
As you can see from the pictures, everyone dresses the part. For me, I wore my Rev'it Pants (because of the armor in case of a fall) and my moto gloves. I was watching some videos from earlier in the day (the run the bulls every day for a week). And I was surprised how many people would fall down. I figured there was a chance I would fall too. It happens in a big crowd of people like that.
At 8 am, they fire a canon signaling that the bulls were released. I am standing there watching down the street and then about 10 seconds later, I see the people starting to move and run my way. Then I saw the bulls..........they were huge compared to the people running away from them. It is a sight I will never forget. And this wave of people and 6 angry bulls were all heading my way. Just about the time the first bulls were at my point, I started to run up the hill in to the first corner. My stategy seemed to working perfectly. The bulls were all right along side of me in the corner and at the inside, I had more room. I moved closer to the bulls and reached out to put my hand on one. And just as I did, all of my focus was on the bulls and I didn't notice that someone fell right in front of me. And I was down in an instant right at the bulls feet. I went down hard but the poor guy that I barreled over took most of the impact. Everyone told me that if I fall, to stay down and don't try to get up until you know it is safe to do so. But I also know me.......I always get up asap after a fall. I even did so with a broken femur after a motorcycle crash in the desert a few years back. And this was no different.....I was back up and running in an instant. But instead of being up running with the bulls, I was about 3 or 4 people back. And then I fell further behind as more and more people tried for their shot to be a hero. I was still right behind the bulls at the next corner called "dead man's corner" but they shut the gate on me and everyone else so the bulls couldn't double back. I didn't know they did this. And it was really too bad because I didn't get my chance to run in to the stadium with the bulls. But maybe that was for the best.
All in all, it was scary and a real rush.
It was a lot more dangerous than I had thought. I saw a guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time get knocked in to the air. And I saw another guy get crushed by one of the bulls.
Well, I can check that one off my list.......I am off to my next adventure

Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #3299
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Me and my moto parked in front of the bull ring......front and center
My shirt looks like a got stomped over but I bought it at Fonseca winery.
I needed a clean shirt

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 11:32 AM
Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #3300
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The bulls looking so sweet and nice in their pen before the start

Closed Thread